Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Why Are Comic Cons No Longer About Comics? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2017 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Your love of letters pages is great, Robbie.

Indeed! 

I like reading them now, but it's great to read letters pages from decades ago, including titles published before you were born. They provide a great "snapshot" of history. I wasn't around in, say, 1960, but if I can pick up a 1960 comic, and read the thoughts of readers from that time, it's satisfying.

And that's why I was a bit frustrated to read a comment a few posts back referring to them as "dinosaurs". I picked up a shitload of STAR TREK: TNG (DC) comics at Birmingham ICE recently. The stories are great, but so are the letters. There's people complaining about the first season of TNG, there's folk asking if TNG will ever get a big-screen movie, there's others commenting on all sorts of interesting things. A TNG TPB would be good for story content, but I wouldn't be able to read the thoughts of readers.
Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2017 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My favorite letters page ever was A Flame About This High in John Byrne's
Next Men, which is probably why I love this forum so much as well.

Is this a good time to share again how much I'd like to own a collection of
those letters pages?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2017 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Always good to share such comments, Wallace.

I was thinking about a topic where some could name their favourite letters page title EVER. Just one. But you know how such requests usually go...

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2017 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

QUOTE:
In your opinion!

Perhaps there are some of us who like the feel, look and smell of old comics. Perhaps we enjoy, in addition to the stories, the ads for plastic soldiers. And the letters pages. Perhaps it's enjoyable to read a Stan's Soapbox from 1970 or 1980. You don't get those in trades.

Calling them dinosaurs is unfair.

All of which are things that are nostalgic for people over 40. I'm not saying there isn't a market for back issues, but it's an aging, shrinking market. Maybe at some point there'll be some hipster comeback, like with vinyl records, but for now, dinosaurs seems apt.

QUOTE:
I bought SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN FAMILY VOL. 1 at Birmingham ICE. For £7. Have you seen the prices on eBay for those SHOWCASE and ESSENTIAL volumes? Quite pricey. I saw a bundle of STAR TREK: TNG (DC) comics on eBay for a high price; but at a back issue stall, I bought a lot of those and because I was buying a high quantity, the guy did me a discount.

I can sometimes find some better deals on rare Funko Pops at a con than I can online. None of this invalidates the idea that cons were once one of the only ways of acquiring older material and now they are not.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2017 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

All of which are things that are nostalgic for people over 40. 

Nostalgia plays no part. 

I like to read what people were thinking about an old issue. I'd love to read letters about the original Galactus trilogy. Which was published before I was born. I'd be interested to know how Galactus was received by readers at the time - and what sort of topics the letters covered. He first appeared in 1966.

One can hardly be nostalgic for a period (1966) that one didn't live through.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2017 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

One can hardly be nostalgic for a period (1966) that one didn't live through.

-----

I wasn't alive when Star Trek TOS or Batman '66 or the '67 Spider-Man cartoon first aired, but I'm nostalgic for those things because I watched them as a kid. You aren't talking about the content. You are talking about the smell of the comics, the letter pages, the silly ads. That's what you are nostalgic for, regardless of when the actual content was created. Those aren't experiences kids have today.

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 5:36am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I self-publish, and used to table at MidOhio Con back in the days when JB was a regular visitor there.  Always looked forward to that weekend.  Post-Wizard, the last time I tabled there (without paying their prohibitive table rate, a friend with a professional credit was comped a table and offered to split it with me) I was there from Friday through Saturday and must have seen, no exaggeration, four people carrying comics all weekend.  Everyone else was there to see the guy from the Walking Dead.  And the comic dealers themselves occupied about a quarter of the entire convention space.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 5:57am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

You aren't talking about the content. You are talking about the smell of the comics, the letter pages, the silly ads.

I guess you skipped the part where I posted about desiring to read letters pertaining to the original Galactus story. No nostalgia there, just a desire to learn what the viewpoints of fans were as it pertains to FF comics of the time - and that particular story.

That's no different to perhaps desiring to read a newspaper column from the day after the moon landing. No nostalgia, just an interest in learning what the mindset was at the time.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

As far as the nostalgia and dinosaur charges go, at least half of the modern comics I read still have letters pages in them. Saga, Lazarus, Paper Girls, Kill or Be Killed, all of which are very modern comics from Image, all of which have engaging letters pages with responses from the writers of the comic, along with a bit of writer commentary each issue (much like A Flame About This High had). I believe the most recent Moon Knight book from Marvel also had a letters page. The Groo comics from Dark Horse also have letters pages. I don't know about DC books. I believe they may not, but comics do still have letters pages, so it's not just a thing of the past to get all nostalgic about.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Very true.

Panini Comics (the successor to Marvel UK) still have letters pages. 

I like it when I see letters in modern comics. Some mini-series even have them.

I don't or haven't seen many letters pages in modern DC or Marvel comics. That's disappointing to me.

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

No to go crazy over letter section, but isn't that what the comic-lover's-internet essentially is...?

A MASSIVE amount of feedback about everything.
Marvel and DC have forums- they seem pretty active too.

Granted, a well written letter would be clearer and have more structure than a quick post....

But I was always under the impression that letter columns were fake and written by editors. They all kinda read the same and I've noticed that once you open the submission to transparency, no one thinks or writes like that anywhere else.

I know it's an ugly charge, but several magazines that I know insider info about have staffers write soft-ball letters. I have a hard time believing that - with all the pressure and deadlines and close shipping windows, there's some extra staff at a comic book company able to go through tons of mail and pick the best letters in a  perfect "Here's feedback from last issue- in this issue!" sorta way.

And I bet you never wrote in to a comic as much as you say you love the letters section. lol
-----------
At best, I think there was a mix, unless someone says "No, [insert name] was in charge of the letters column and did sort the mail"

Don't hate me.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

And I bet you never wrote in to a comic as much as you say you love the letters section. lol

Wrong!

Love how people assume things. Gotta love the internet, eh?

Can't speak for others, but I wrote a shitload of letters as a kid. Was often buying stamps. Airmail stamps (most publications were US). And I never stopped. I switched to e-mails once I got hooked up to the internet. 

Bill Collins has seen letters of mine (he's mentioned them) in magazines and comics.

Not many are printed, but, yes, might be best to ask me next time if I write letters/have written them - instead of assuming I love letters columns but never wrote to them.

As for your post, do you have proof? I'd DEFINITELY listen if you have. But that would seem odd if most publications were publishing fake letters. Wonder if the ones I wrote (some of which got printed) were fake. Perhaps my very existence is fake...

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version