Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Why Are Comic Cons No Longer About Comics? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Robbie: I don't or haven't seen many letters pages in modern DC or Marvel comics. That's disappointing to me.

Robbie, I haven't seen any in DC books in a long while, but some Marvel books have them. I think it depends on whether the writer or editor wants to respond and put the letters page together. As I stated earlier, the recent Lemire Moon Knight book had letters pages, but I don't think Jessica Jones does. Those about the only Marvel books I've bought so I can't speak for the rest of them. I'm pretty sure they include the letters page on Marvel Unlimited as well, but it's been a few years since I had a subscription to that. I have very little interest in Marvel Comics at the moment to be honest. 

I think things like message boards (which also have decreased over the last ten years) and Facebook and Twitter interaction have taken the place of letters pages for the most part for most fans and creators (as Drew mentioned), which is a shame because there were times like the Invisibles comic where the letters page was as good a read as the comic book itself. I mean, it's been great to get to interact with comic writers and artists on message boards and Twitter and Facebook, but I don't know if that equals the thrill of seeing your name in print and your letter in the actual comic book. I wouldn't know because of the mere two letters I wrote over the years, neither of them got printed sadly.

Also I don't think you have to write letters yourself to enjoy reading the letters pages though, so not sure what difference that makes, Drew.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 27 September 2017 at 6:58pm
Back to Top profile | search

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2017 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Also I don't think you have to write letters yourself to enjoy reading the letters pages though, so not sure what difference that makes, Drew.

I was teasing that if you love comics and don't write in yourself, how likely is it that droves of other fans are sending in tons of mail. Um, that didn't go over so well. Bad idea to go there.

In know about the name in print glee. A big magazine printed something I said on their forum in the letters section and I almost passed out. Good when you pick a great screen name. Not so good when you don't think you'll post much and pick a silly name. Using my real name here, so I gotta watch what I say. You never know.

Mind you, I had a wacky girlfriend that came over while I was on a forum and she noted my screen name and looked up all my posts. While 99.9% of them were about music and art SHE PICKS the ONE, yes the one post about relationships- where I told an upset artist that he should 'ghost the ex' and dive back into art to help get over a bad break-up. She started grilling me over what I would do if we split.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2017 at 4:03am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The problem with message boards (some of them, not this one) is that you have to filter through a load of crap. I checked the DC boards around 2003/04 - and there were quite a few trolls. Should I wade through trolls' posts to hopefully find one insightful post? At least with letters pages, I know the editor has selected, subjective though it is, a selection of good letters.

Comic book site message boards are NOT a good substitute for letters pages. And never will be. 

It's also about effort. I put a lot of thought into writing letters. But for some, it's too easy to type "U suck, r u reading me, your title sucks." Such great talent, eh?
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version