Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Why Are Comic Cons No Longer About Comics? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

From UK newspaper "The Guardian":

I have to confess, in recent years, there appear to be fewer stalls devoted to comics.

I didn't actually get to attend a comic con until 1994. And it was 99% comics (and comic-related merchandise). Batman action figures. Old Thor comics. Superman lunchboxes. And lots of creators to sign things!

In recent years, comic cons have been too mainstream. I went to the London Comic Con recently - and major chains had their own stall. There was even a food stall for goodness' sake. No, I'm not referring to the food outlets that are invariably in a comic con venue, this was a food stall (not comic-related) next to stalls featuring comics and t-shirts.

I do miss the days where comic cons were solely about comics. Not saying a comic con should have sold only comics (action figures, T-shirts and lunchboxes are fine!), but the lines have been blurred in recent years. Now, a comic con features everyone from wrestlers and actors to reality TV stars. It's not the same.

For me, comic cons are about meeting creators/getting a book signed and perhaps finding that obscure issue of Thor - or picking up that Kenner version of Hawkman. Stalls featuring mainstream DVDs, which one can buy in Asda, just don't feel the same to me. Comic cons, in my humble opinion, should be esoteric as much as possible.

Thoughts?

Edited by Robbie Parry on 25 September 2017 at 4:32pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 5:15pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The last time I was in San Diego, which is a LONG time ago, I comment to some of my fellow professionals that I had an uneasy feeling that at any moment security squads would sweep thru the halls and drive out anyone who was there representing comics. The show was all about movies, and toys, and anything that might be derived from comics, but the comics themselves were the Great Unwashed.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 5:15pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Comicon" has become the catch all term for any sort of pop culture-themed convention.  It's a huge market right now and a lot of people view them in a lot of different ways.  At least in the US there are a large amount of cons focused purely on the comic side of things, as well as a lot of cons focused on meeting celebrities and a lot that try to do both (with varying levels of success.)

Attendance tends to be bigger and draws in a more casual audience and vendors are adapting to that because they're in the business of making money.  It's not just dudes digging around for back issues (hell, I haven't bought a back issue at a con in years, that's what ebay or discount TPBs are for.)  It's people looking for toys or t-shirts or posters/prints or cosplay props or just about anything related to this massive surge in genre-related media.  

I go to a lot of cons for a lot of different reasons.   You just have to do a little bit of research to see what kind of show is being set up.  

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I agree and it is much harder for the comic orientated guests, exhibitors, vendors and artists to compete with the syphoning effect, on the disposable income of the attendees, caused by the Media and Pop stars.

Edited by Steve Coates on 25 September 2017 at 5:20pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

(hell, I haven't bought a back issue at a con in years, that's what ebay or discount TPBs are for.)

Yes, but those TPBs don't have the original letters pages. ;-)

I went to Birmingham ICE about three weeks ago. It was a small venue, but it was solely comics. Yes, there was a guy selling T-shirts - but they were comic ones. There were small-press creators. There were back issue stalls. Pure, unadulterated comics.

Yes, research is fine but a little piece of me "died" when things changed. Comic cons became less special. I enjoyed going to events, and still do, where it's nothing but comics. There's the main stuff, but it's a good way of finding small, independent creators, too. And supporting up-and-coming artists/writers.

Now, very few comic stalls among the signing booths for Dave Prowse or Warwick Davis (all due respect to them). Too mainstream for me at times.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

$$$$$$$$

I grew up in San Diego and went to SDCC as a kid. At the time, my parents were all "Why are you wasting your money on that?" Several years later, SDCC became about Hollywood and how much money it brought to the local economy, and it became "respectable" in their eyes to the point that they'd bring up Comic-Con to me and ask me if I was going. 

I like SDCC for what it is, but it's a shame that a lot of the other regional cons are trying to imitate it. 

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I know an independent creator who set up at a con. He had comics for about $4 and prints of his cover for about $10. His characters. Nothing mainstream. He sold lots of prints. Even though it was cheaper, very few wanted to read the comics. This has even leeched into the small press events, though not as much as the big cons.

It seems anyone can make a bunch of lame Deadpool prints and turn a profit at a con. Most attendees don't know John Byrne from Steven Myers...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ron Grant
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

This past weekend in Edmonton ,Alberta, Canada there was a big Comic Convention (well big for Edmonton standards)The big guests were  William Shatner, Gene Simmons,John Rhys- Davies and couple of the kids from the show Stranger Things.Not one comic creator was advertised.Kind of disappointing I might have went had I known Jim Steranko,Larry Hama and Bob Mcleod were gonna be there. 

Edited by Ron Grant on 25 September 2017 at 7:25pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I've been wanting to attend the Baltimore Comic-Con ever since I looked it up online for a customer years ago and noticed it was an actual, honest-to-goodness COMIC BOOK show, with a whole slew of comic book talent, and not cram full of multimedia celebs. I hope it's still like that when I get my chance to go there.

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 10:33pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Ron, I went to the Edmonton Expo specifically because Jim Steranko was there.  I had to wait an hour in a relatively short line to see him and get him to sign one of my Steranko art books.  It was worth the wait.  Part of the reason that the wait was so long was because Jim spent quality time with each fan, chatting with them, making sure to shake hands with every one (maybe multiple times, as was the case with me).

Great guy, great stories.  Worth the price of admission!

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2017 at 12:46am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I think the original slew of comic book movies were made to sell comics and that's probably why they all stunk. lol

Now, at least it seems, they've figured out- you make a movie to sell the movie and everything else you can add it the surrounding interest.

Comics get a spike of interest too.
For a huge part of any generation the cross-over media IS the introduction and the true source of material.
So many people I know watched the Hulk and never read the Hulk.

So I can only imagine what it is now- Movies are the new flagship product to carry on the property. Ask nearly anyone: Would you rather meet the actor who plays Ironman or the artist/writer who drew/penned one of his most significant story arcs?

The thought is, here's a character. Like them? Great, you got movies, books, comics, toys, video games, cartoons and a TV series. Now, pick your favorite media.

That's why.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2017 at 12:55am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I used to attend the `Memorabilia` show at Birmingham
NEC twice a year,it had loads of comic stalls selling
back issues,discount trades,current comics, rare dvd`s
from the U.S.,Japan Australia,comic creators you`d
heard of signing as well as the usual movie/tv guests
signing.I could spend quite a bit of cash!Now it`s
been re-branded as `Comic Con` and non of the above