Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Watch This.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I truly enjoyed JB's art on NAMOR. I know it's all a matter of taste, but that
anyone might consider it bad is surprising.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Same here. The Duo-Shade phase is my favorite art period of JB's.

And the art that critics tend to claim to be his best, is towards the bottom of the list for me. I joined relatively late in the game (1983), so JB had already gotten over the quirks of the late 70s-early 80s work that bug me a bit when I saw it after the fact (best example being that women's faces tended to be too round, in some cases as if the face was applied over a balloon. By '83, he started applying bone structure to the faces). These were childhood observations that I was just never able to shake.
Back to Top profile | search

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Robbie Parry : This is the problem with the internet: no checking of facts, no context, no "This is my opinion..." The internet really is a double-edged sword at times.

I think this is a major part of the problem. When you add the anonymity of the Internet with the fact that there is virtually no accountability, it leaves us with a very big mess to clean up. :'(
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Loved the art on Namor.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

UGH, the guy in this video sounds like an idiot. Lots of moronic comments under that video as well.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Norman Hardy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 6:47am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Yeah, the guy's a dolt.  It's best just to mute the sound and enjoy those beautiful Namor pages.

And for what it's worth, the only bad Byrne art era has been the "No Byrne Art Era."  I was at my LCS about a year ago, and I was perusing what was out that week.  I was just not excited at all, and it took me a second, and I realized that there was not only no new Byrne art on the shelves, but there hadn't been for a while, and it just made me very sad.

I miss my monthly Byrne comic art fix.  I've unfortunately been clean for quite some time.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

And for what it's worth, the only bad Byrne art era has been the "No Byrne Art Era."

••

You're very kind, but there HAVE been some pretty deep valleys running between the peaks!

Problem is, a lot of fans -- especially the most vocal ones -- are like (anachronistic reference!) a stuck record. Their "needle" keeps skipping to play the same lines over and over, and they just can't get past them.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Some things become "received wisdom"; fans who don't know anything about art go along with what they're told, internalizing it until they think it *must* be true.

They go with the flow, maybe because they're afraid a contrary opinion would kick them out of the "cool kids club" or spark a fight they lack the basic knowledge to win.

And after a while, segments of fandom simply treat it as a given that this guy's art was better back when or comics are going to die off any day now, etc etc.

FWIW, JB, of all the editors I've known, not a single one has said they had *any* difficulty working with you. Some stories cannot be allowed to stand unchallenged.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Some things become "received wisdom"; fans who don't know anything about art go along with what they're told, internalizing it until they think it *must* be true.

••

One of the odd things I have noticed about some fans over the years is that they staunchly declare their "independence", yet are terrified of being thought to go against the flow.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Do you think such fandom is unique only to certain groups? What I mean is, I've encountered what we've discussed more among wrestling and comic fans; I can't say I've come across it as much when it pertains to, say, heavy metal music or Stephen King novels.

I can only go by my own experiences, of course. And my social circle.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"I'm a free thinker!"
"We're free thinkers too!"
"I'm an iconoclast!"
"We're iconoclasts too!"
"I mouth the same nonsense as the idiots next to me!"
"We mouth... hey!!"

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 10 October 2017 at 8:13am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Do you think such fandom is unique only to certain groups? What I mean is, I've encountered what we've discussed more among wrestling and comic fans; I can't say I've come across it as much when it pertains to, say, heavy metal music or Stephen King novels.

••

It seems to me that this effect reflects the degree to which people are embarrassed by their fandom. It seems to walk hand in hand with that general tone of disparagement we see in some clusters of fans.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version