Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Watch This.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Ah, that makes sense. People seem embarrassed by wrestling ("Oh, I like it, but not the really silly matches!"). And comics.

No metal fan, or Stephen King fan, I have encountered online has ever expressed embarrassment. So I guess what you say makes sense, sir.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

There are lots of backhanded compliments in the video. And when reviewing anything I think you seriously undercuts your credibility when saying, "I can't explain how much I love this panel" about something being reviewed. That kind of inexplicable reverence is fine in casual conversation, but articulate observation is a basic requirement of reviewing.

Nice point about heavy metal and Stephen King fans, Robbie. There is a big difference in fans that simply enjoy something and the two faced fans that can't compliment without insulting in the same breath.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I know metal fans and Stephen King fans (I am one!) aren't a collective. But I've been a member of heavy metal forums and a Stephen King FB group.

If we didn't like something, we were honest about it (I really found King's ROSE MADDER to be a chore to read with an unsatisfying ending). I'm an Iron Maiden fan, but I am not the biggest fan of their debut album.

But when we like something, there are no backhanded compliments. I will praise MISERY or PET SEMETARY without the need to give a back-handed compliment; I can enjoy the album POWERSLAVE without the need to mock it or whatever.

I talk about metal and Stephen King a lot elsewhere. And the fandom I have come across has been rather normal.

But with wrestling and comics, I come across a disproportionate amount of those who like to mock what they 'enjoy'. "Oh, I know Spidey and Supes are silly, you understand I read only out of habit or to provide a critique." I cannot stand that mindset.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 11:57pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Problem is, a lot of fans -- especially the most vocal ones -- are like (anachronistic reference!) a stuck record. Their "needle" keeps skipping to play the same lines over and over, and they just can't get past them.

Not anachronistic at all, sir. Vinyl has made a huge comeback and is wildly popular these days. And expensive! It started with just the audiophiles who preferred the warmth of vinyl and analog music and has spilled over into the mainstream with all sorts of music fans. I'm glad to see its return, but I really wish there was less gouging on the cost of new vinyl (you can get some real bargains on older used records though).

Dwayne Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think you guys are way too hard on this guy and his video.
As for the quality he live streams and his stuff is usually off the cuff and often is even recorded while he is driving or just walking around.

He most often uses his time to attack Marvel and how they have destroyed the characters in their books by ignoring who they were and what they stood for and for using them to push politics on a fan base that just wasn't interested in those politics for the most part.

He does a good job pointing out how current Marvel "talent" destroys these characters for their own views instead of creating new characters creatively to support their issues.

Doing this has run the fans off and utterly destroyed what little was left of their industry that the direct market had not already killed.

While I disagree with his opinion of Johns later works and their quality, I do believe that he praised him way more than he libeled him and I feel his showing JB's great work at Marvel is meant to show how creators like Byrne used to take established characters, make them interesting while keeping their legacies intact.

I think showing John's work here is meant to be a reference to his younger viewers who might not be aware of what Marvel used to be before it became a total political soap box.

I personally think Marvels real creative decline started around when they canceled Xmen the Hidden years and started to seem to be more worried by what they thought was hip and cool among their peers than what made good super hero comics.

Marvel died to me then around when Byrne said he was done there.

I feel we need more guys like diversity in comics to be vocal about how Marvel has destroyed their printed comics industry and continues to mindlessly hammer the nails month after month no matter how bleak the results.
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version