Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Watch This.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

...and see how far you can get before the baseless opinions and factual errors wear you down.

YouTube

Back to Top profile | search

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I like how he assumes you make $400-500K a year in
commissions at the end.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I didn't get that far. And that's wrong, too. Way too much.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Nobody loves Namor? Love how this guy speaks for all comic fans. I wasn't aware there was an official spokesperson for fandom.

Cheesy? Gosh, did he buy a thesaurus in order to look up that word? Never heard that before. Cheesy is the default term people use when they don't have the vocabulary to engage in constructive criticism.

He's making a lot of assumptions about our host. But his vocal style is one of those that implies "What I am saying is factual and you must not question it!"

I respect that YouTube guy for having the ability to change into a fly, travel back in time and witness Mr Byrne's disputes with editorial. He's spouting things way out of context, implying it's factual and making out that our host had a dispute with EVERY editor 12+ issues in - which affected the quality of his work.

This is the problem with the internet: no checking of facts, no context, no "This is my opinion..." The internet really is a double-edged sword at times.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 07 October 2017 at 10:25am

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Well, at least he said JB did hundreds of good comics. 

I hate when Millenials use the word "cheesy" I tune them out afterwords. That is their default word for describing anything done in the 20th century.

Edited by Eric White on 07 October 2017 at 1:34pm

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Five minutes.  Then uh the uh "factual information" uh supported by uh "I think" and uh "I'm gonna guess" and uh "probably" just became too much.  He didn't give a single supporting example of any claim.  And good luck finding them, dood.  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I've heard similar 'facts' elsewhere on the net (wrestling and comics seem to be the worst). And yet those spouting facts had one thing in common: they hadn't worked in those industries or been close to anyone who did.

It seems to be a variation on "My friend's cousin's roommate's uncle walked the dog for a security guard at DC and I will tell you this..."

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It's wrong right from the title of this guy's running feature: "Marvel Before SJW."

And when was this time that Marvel wasn't about promoting social justice and human progress, exactly?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yeah, bit of a bizarre video. He starts out with some fairly decent praise, for example calling the splash perfect, but then lurches into a claim that you always fell out with someone 12 to 18 issues in (where this number comes from, who knows) and then uses that a baseboard to leap into a claim that the backgrounds would drop out and the art would get sloppy.

If he wants to make claims like that, he should back it up with actual evidence, showing how backgrounds disappeared on all your runs... Except this didn't happen, so he can't. Your backgrounds have more often than not been outstanding. He also doesn't cotton on to the fact that there was a period where the backgrounds suffered as a function of the process of leaving space for the letterers, which is presumably one of the reasons you began doing your own lettering.

And then, of course, the claim that you just stopped caring in the mid-90s, that you were just 'phoning it in'. The laziest, most subjective criticism to hand. There quite a few compliments in the video, but they are all more than a little backhanded.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

There is a popular myth that I am "hard to work with". Yet if we look at my whole career, we find scant evidence for this. Editors who make this claim, for instance, on close examination turn out to be those who have treated my work as raw material, for them to shape into a finished form without any consultation with me. Editors who have lied to me, directly or by omission.

Howard Mackie, an editor with whom I had a perfectly fine working relationship, and who has continued as a friend, tells the story of an editor who had just been assigned to one of my books. He asked Howard how to "handle Byrne." Howard's response was "Don't lie to him."

How sad is it that he would even have to say that?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

This is the first time I have encountered "SJW". It reminds me of the time Shooter patted himself on the back by announcing on the Bullpen page that he was ordering all writers and artists to read the mail that came in for them.

SOMETHING WE WERE ALREADY DOING!!!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I made it to the end but only because I was enjoying seeing that issue of Namor while this idiot babbled. He did praise your work quite a bit and loved your work on Namor, including your duotone stuff which others have criticized and talked about how he liked how experimental you've been over your career , but, as others have said, his negative remarks about your mid-nineties stuff not being good he gave no examples of other than his own ill-informed opinion. Which tends to be the way most of your detractors operate. "His old stuff was better." Well, show me some examples. I'd put your IDW stuff and your commissions side by side with your early Marvel work and anyone that thinks that old stuff was better would be blind. I mean, both periods are great because what you lacked in skill back then you made up for with energy and innovation and verve, but you're a lot better illustrator now.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 07 October 2017 at 2:42pm

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version