Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Supergirl S3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm still watching. I don't mind a large cast but let's not have 5 stories going at once.

Looks like Guardian will be spotlighted next week.
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I really liked earlier in Season 3 where Kara was coming to terms with her alienness and it's implications, but I agree the mystical Krypton stuff fits uncomfortably. I guess we know however that Kara and Kal's fathers were rather unique as scientists while other powers that be trudged heedlessly onward to doom, so maybe the majority on the planet were not very scientific?

I don't remember any Mon-El stuff in any Legion comics but I found it worked well in the tv show, especially the initial Daxamite vs. Kryptonian prejudices being worked out. Now it's the Supes vs. the Luthor prejudices?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've enjoyed the show as well but fell behind after the midseason break. I'll have to find some time now to catch up.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

James Olsen was actually mistaken by the police as the 'perp' when his Guardian mask came off in episode 19 tonight. Actor Mehcad Brooks did a great job with it I thought. That could easily have come off as forced in but it didn't. I was actually teed off!

I have trouble buying that someone as smart as Lena Luthor wouldn't figure out Kara and Supergirl are the same person however, especially with how Supergirl was talking to her in this episode tonight!

It seems like the various religious stuff is shown as potentially positive (Martian Dad's faith his God sent his son J'onn J'onz to him) or a ticket to crazyland (the former Supergirl worshipers who have found a new calling). I guess that's a kind of balance.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 21 May 2018 at 7:57pm

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2018 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Ms. Jansen - why would we assume that Lena Luthor HASN'T determined that Kara Danvers is Supergirl? Just because she hasn't said anything? If you watch Lena's reactions after some of their interactions, she seems to know... something. And what else is there to know about Kara? TANGENT: Berlanti couldn't find an actress who can keep ONE accent? I don't care if Lena was raised in London and has a British accent... hell, I don't care if the Luthors had to go to Australia to avoid Lex's reputation... but could we PLEASE find an actress who can KEEP ONE ACCENT? This "Britlish" accent Lena has is making me crazy.*

They caught me off last night... instead of a nice curve ball, the young lady reading out of the Kryptonian book said the last ingredient was nitrogen... and darn it, but it was nitrogen. Heaven's sake, she KNOWS Mon-El is right there! Why not try something to mess up their plans?

I hate the "happy coincidences" and "deus ex machinas" that litter the DCW-verse. M'rynn and Ruby "happen" to find foosball the answer to their problems. Harrison Wells "happens" to stumble upon an emotional key to help defeat the Thinker. Mr. Terrific "happens" to find something in his research while working on another project. Look, I'm as big a fan of serendipity as anyone... but not EVERY week on EVERY show. Maybe a little good ol' detective work or scientific research could do the trick?

That Jimmy Olsen sequence about racial prejudice hit every button for me, in a good way, and it was a win. NOT heavy handed, NOT too preachy... but a great scene.

I still predict that Supegirl will meet more of the Legion at the end of the season, but I'm content right now. And DAMN! Every time I see Mon-El in costume is a thrill. Honestly, we're two flight rings and a Professor Potter invention for Winn away from the DEO being a Legion adjunct team in the 20th century... YAY!

*Yeah, right. I'll blame it on that. :P

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

For those who don't watch the show, this scene had a nice little homage to Superman The Movie..

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2018 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

" Every time I see Mon-El in costume is a thrill"

That's a " Ditto" for me!!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Brandon, i spotted the Superman The Movie homage, i had
to rewind and watch it again!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2018 at 11:10pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Argo City looked pretty impressive tonight in episode 20 I thought. I hate the cliffhanger ending though, augh! And why couldn't they have just shoved Reign into one of those Legion cryo-hibernation containers earlier?They seemed to have a bunch of them on that ship. I probably missed something there though.

Oh yeah, Tuvok is alive and well on the other side of the moon, ha! I recognized him within a couple of minutes, but then I've probably seen almost every Voyager (they've rerun it several times in order on a weekday daily basis in Canada).

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2018 at 5:13am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Have they explained why J'onn J'onzz is the most powerful being on the planet but he keeps sending Supergirl and non-powered agents in against murderous super-powered threats?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2018 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Eric J. - right after, I'm sure, they explain why they haven't ONCE called Superman for help. Even if, in context of the show, Supergirl is more powerful than he is... he's still Superman. Mon-El is in this up to his elbows, and it's been established that Daxamites are significantly less powerful than Kryptonians. Honestly... with Lena and Winn in support, I think that Kal, Kara, and J'onn (with Mon-El's help) could handle Reign..

At least on the Flash finale, when Barry suggested getting help from Oliver, Wally, or Kara, the Thinker noted that he had already taken them into account. Okay... then there's no need to put them at risk (although Ollie was at risk in ANY case... but while Felicity could be of help, Ollie might a little outclassed.)

But they need a better reason to write off Superman. And  now... what will he do when he finds out about Argo and that his aunt is still alive? Or is this going to be another mistake that Kara will have to apologize for?

And I lost a bet with my wife. I thought the sniper was going to end up being Maggie Sawyer. Well... at least we're spared another three hours of angsty discussion.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2018 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

J'onn J'onzz has been a sore spot for me for sometime now.
I actually like the character of Director Hank Henshaw, I'm almost wishing Martian Manhunter was never introduced.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2018 at 2:18am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Suspension of disbelief lets me believe that Superman is usually off solving his own problems.  But J'onn is RIGHT THERE!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Still no Kal in tonight's episode 21 partly set in/on Argo. A bit clumsy introducing the gun debate stuff but fairly balanced I suppose.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 11:56pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

And now, J'onn J'onzz, the most powerful being on the planet, just disarmed his human agents and told them they'll have to go up against sometimes the most dangerous villains in the galaxy with non-lethal weapons.  Thanks, J'onn.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:52am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

They'll probably get something like the icers used on AOS.

Who knows, maybe we'll see more of the Manhunter because of this......not!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Glue guns, tasers and net projectors? Super magnetic bullet catchers (until someone uses plastic bullets on them)? Kind of the problem with these real world relevance issues in super-universe stories, once you have purely evil kryptonians or super-skrulls almost everyone is "bring out the biggest stuff and just nuke 'em"! :^)

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2018 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

The finale was less a finale and more of a quick homage to SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE followed by a lengthy denouément explaining why certain characters won't be back next year.

Looks like next season will be mash-up of Dark Supergirl and Superman: Red Son.

I wish they'd move on from the "Is she evil or not?" arc with Lena. She was more interesting as Kara's friend.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2018 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I don't really understand why/where/when/how the Arrowverse lost its way, but the shows have become generally unwatchable*.  Flash season one was about as perfect a season of genre TV as I've ever seen, but I can't stand the show, now.  It's more down to the writing than anything else.  I keep waiting for someone on the level of Dwayne MacDuffie to step in and really find that perfect balance between sharp drama and tonally on humor, quotable dialogue, long-running b-stories and character delimitating a-stories that he managed on Justice Leauge that built off of the comics but knew exactly what to leave out to work in the medium.  I keep waiting, but I guess it's not going to happen.

*With the exception of Legends, which was pretty dire in the first season but when I sampled randomly in the most recent season turned out to be genuinely entertaining, solid genre stuff.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2018 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I didn't understand the time travel save any better than in the Superman movie... if they can just go back and have a redo whenever someone important to them dies... :^(

Anytime now someone dies unnaturally I'll be thinking, why not do what you did back in this episode.

So it looks like there will be a season 4 anyway. Hope it's a good one.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2018 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Winn leaving the show is kinda weird, but from Jeremy Jordan's Instagram it sounds like it was his choice. I always support when an actor chooses to leave (vs being fired).

The great thing is maybe they'll use Winn's arc in season four to introduce some more Legion folk. And maybe it could lead to a Legion spin-off....;-)

So lots of character changes. Looks like a few 3 year contracts were up and not everyone wanted to go another term.

As for the finale - I like that the finale of the Arrowverse shows tend to be big super-hero team-ups. 

I'd like to see more of Erica Durance next season too.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version