Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Superheroes And Autocorrect Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Although the existence of autocorrect is proof to me that Satan exists, it can raise a smile from time to time, especially when superheroes are concerned.

My mobile phone is a pain - and despite me searching for a way to do it, I can't switch off autocorrect.

So Batman becomes BARMAN. Now I just have visions of Batman serving cocktails in a bar.

Catwoman becomes CHAIRWOMAN. I can't see her fitting that role, can you?

No prizes for guessing what Hulk becomes.

I do use my phone a lot to FB message my brother about superhero films/comics. I wonder what'll happen when I type Kang or Galactus into the phone. I can imagine Kang would become KING and Galactus will become GALACTIC, but who knows for sure?

Bloody autocorrect, eh?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Try writing comics, Robbie! Even without autocorrect my scripts end up looking like they have the measles, there's so much red underlining!!!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Barman - well, there wouldn't be a drunk driver within ten miles of Gotham City.

Chairwoman - "They vandalized the Louis XVI Carved Walnut chairs? How dare they? How... DARE they! That's it! Come along Rocker, Recliner... we have vengeance to visit on some abusive furniture owner!"

It's a nuisance. I've been lucky so far to avoid getting autocorrect to take over in my texts (although I am the slowest texter on the planet...). But as you note... there is fun value to be had!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"Batman" is a legitimate word. Especially in England.* Can't imagine why your autocorrect would have trouble with it.

When I was a lad there was a Batman story that featured Batman and Robin trying to track down an elusive "batman" they'd found out was coming in to Gotham on a boat. Flying out to intercept, they encountered a baseball player, a chiropterologist, a pottery (we were told the raw clay is called a "bat") and...a smuggled object that weighed in as one batman, an Iranian measure!

Had to have been a Gardner Fox story! I can just see him paging thru the encyclopedia.

----------------------------

* An episode of F TROOP featured Harvey Korman as a Prussian balloonist sent to train the soldiers in the use of these craft. At one point he asks Captain Parmenter if he can borrow his "begleiter". Oh, dear, says the Captain, he just sent it out to be cleaned.

"Nein, nein, nein! Your begleiter! What the English call their batman. Don't you Americans have a batman?"

"Not yet,' says Parmenter, "but I'm sure we will one day!"

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Funnily enough, it's only my Android phone that wants to change Batman to BARMAN. A previous phone (Apple) didn't attempt to do that.

I like the sound of that Gardner Fox story, by the way!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I turned off autocorrect on my phone. It was often more trouble than it was worth. I liked the times it corrected my spelling, though my spelling wasn't bad enough to keep it with it changing words I was typing to other words entirely. I prefer the way that Word and Chrome and Firefox underline the word and give you a list of words to choose from when it thinks you're misspelling something rather than it just changing the word to what it thinks you meant ala autocorrect.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

My suggestive type has been properly trained:

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 9:45pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The United States military never had a precise, specific equivalent of the British term. If it was called anything other than being an 'aide' or 'gopher', then, at one time, the term 'dog robber' was used.
The 1967* British novelty tune "I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman" was popular in the U.S., despite the meaning/context of the last three words being over the heads of most Americans at that time.
*Surprised it wasn't the year before, when DJs would have fallen over themselves playing ANYTHING with 'Batman' in the title).

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Sometimes my brain goes into Auto-correct mode,the other
day i was talking to a colleague and i said `Awful
Maureen` when i meant to say `Oral Morphine`

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 12:16am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

As I've often noted, my tablet's predictive speller/spellchecker is insane. "The" will become "a he". Proper names are not recognized. Carefully-typed sentences will become gobbledygook, unless I go back and correct them, myself.

The following text is presented without my correcting the predictive speller's "corrections":

My predictive do is really sucky at what it does. I hate the frigate thing with a passion that define logic. It is a Mira that anyone is this forum can read what I write and compressed it. I would be there men if I didn't take pains to Fi the errors Cre by my or speller. I truly do find it a him and a bird, and would rather not have it mucking about with my text and trying to make me look like a bad writer.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

A spellchecker that won't recognize "the" is particularly insane, Greg. And that example of it at work is hilarious. That seems like it's creating more problems than it ever solves and needs to be turned off immediately. That would drive me insane. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 10:01pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Your I is most welcome, Shane. I appreciate your taking the time to TH out a response to my gibb post. If I allowed these sorts of ay do mishaps to happen every Fring day, I'd be Lau off of this forum and labeled a rer by anyone who read my posts. Bed they'd make no sense. I take pride in using proper SE when posting or texting, and am constantly fighting the autocorrect to AV looking like an I.

I'm tempted to turn this into a ref feature of my usual posts: "How badly can my so Che ruckus THIS time?". 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version