Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Question for JB -signing books you didn’t work on Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 1:55am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JB - I was just curious what your personal policy is about signing books that you didn't work on?

On another forum I belong to someone claimed you were going to sign their copy of X-Men #98 at NYCC before someone from IDW stepped in ( you had already signed 1 non IDW book for him already ).

It just sounded odd and I wanted to confirm.

Thanks in advance
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 5:24am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Nothing remotely like that happened at the con. Since the earliest days of my career I have generally declined to sign other people's work.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"someone claimed"
It just never stops.

Almost every artist I have ever encountered declines signing books where they are not part of the creative team. It sounds dubious right off the bat when someone claims a book as prominent as X-Men 98 by an artist JB admires, Dave Cockrum, would get under John's pen and someone from IDW would be the one applying the breaks. Sounds like a mutant with the power of truth bending.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I find it believable whenever it comes from a person who was told it by their friend's brother's cousin's roommate - who heard it from a cleaner who spoke to the security guard. Yep, very convincing!

Casey Sager
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

To be fair to the guy, he edited his response on the other forum to say it was X-Men 99 and not 98...which doesn't make any difference.

Also, he was at NYCC getting signatures, so this wasn't a case of the telephone game.

I just wanted conformation from the source before I accused the guy of lying as the tale seemed dubious at best.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Uncanny X-Men 94-107 would most likely be met with the same reaction.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It mystifies me why anyone would WANT a signature on a book from someone who didn't work on it!

I mean, would go you up to Peter Gabriel and ask him to sign your Sting LP?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It mystifies me why anyone would WANT a signature on a book from someone who didn't work on it!

I was thinking something similar earlier.

I wouldn't be interested even if there was a tenuous link to something. I wouldn't ask Arnie to sign my DVD copy of WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE (but I'd ask him to sign my copy of THE TERMINATOR).

It's bizarre to think someone would want a signature from someone who hadn't worked on a book in any way, shape or form.

Casey Sager
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The guy claims he made a mistake and forgot JB didn't work on the book.

The odd thing is he believes JB didn't remember he didn't work on it either and that if it wasn't for IDW stepping in he would've gotten it signed.

I'm gonna go with JB's recollection on this one.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

When I was a kid, I got Adam West and Burt Ward to sign a BATMAN comic I happened to have with me.  It made sense at the time, but even THAT seems a little off now.

I can't imagine why anybody would want a comic book talent to sign a comic he didn't work on...unless...possibly it was Stan Lee signing the latest issue of any of the numerous comics he co-created--and only then if you didn't have a comic he actually wrote available.  (The difference between a planned meeting and an unplanned one.)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

When I was a kid, I got Adam West and Burt Ward to sign a BATMAN comic I happened to have with me.  It made sense at the time, but even THAT seems a little off now.

I guess I can understand that. Maybe if I'd met Christopher Reeve between 1978 and 1987, I'd have requested he sign a Superman book published between those years. Although those books weren't adapted from Reeve's films, maybe it'd have felt right at the time.

Mostly, though, it'd be a no. If I had the privilege of meeting Stan Lee, I'd request a signature from one of his early Spider-Man or FF comics; but even though he created Spider-Man (with Ditko), I'd not feel any need to ask him to sign one of Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man comics; I like very much what Mr Byrne did on FF, but I'd have no desire to ask our host to sign a copy of FF #1.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

IDW "stepped in" once or twice when I was distracted and someone tried to go over the limit.

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version