Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: "You can be anything you want!" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Someone posted an item where he wished that he were in an alternate reality where he was a champion skier. I thought about that for an oh-so-brief moment, and decided that, while I would like to learn to ski and fly down those hills (it looks like great fun), that possibility has passed.

Thus putting lie to the old aphorism, "You can do anything you want." No... I could never have been a long distance runner, or an astronaut. Body wasn't build for either (in different ways.)

But what COULD I have been? What could YOU have been? Let's let our imaginations go fun and fancy free... what would you like to have been? A racercar driver? A master sculptor? A remarkable statesman? A chess champion? A writer/artist for famous comics?

The only limit is that it has to be real (sorry... you cannot be Green Lantern) and it has to be gender specific (no ballerinas, sorry again.) Oh, and try to be a little more specific than "rich", "powerful", or "king of the world." (The Brain as prior claim to that last, anyhow... ;)

No physical limitations... so I COULD be a marathoner, or a submariner. And let's not worry about all the tremendous difficulties associated with any such selection (thus re-emphasizing the "fun" aspect.)

I'd like a detail or two, of course - but just for a fun exercise, let's indulge. Myself? I would have loved to be a professional and famous stage actor. I do it as an amateur, and there is no feeling like making audiences feel emotions, and being live and in person to enjoy it, and to make them feel even more.

I wouldn't so much want to be a movie actor, as there's no feedback. And while television can be filmed in front of a live audience... I feel it would lack something to get to fall back on "take number 12... and go."

Share with me, gang!
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Great topic, Eric.

I've always been fascinated by voice work. Whenever I watch an animated film or TV series, I always think, 'I'd love to do that.' The thing is, I'd like the challenge; I'd like giving "life" to a drawing that has been animated; and I'd like to have fun trying different roles. Obviously, if you were voicing the Joker in a BATMAN cartoon, it'd require a different approach than if you were voicing Postman Pat. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm tempted to borrow a line from Edmund Blackadder: "The fact that I'm not a millionaire aristocrat with the sexual capacity of a rutting rhinoceros is a constant niggle."

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I have often dreamed/fantasized of being the first black Formula One World Champion.  

And then Lewis Hamilton came along and STOLE IT FROM ME!
DAMN HIM!

I would start as an IndyCar champion.  Then Europe would take notice and Ferrari would call me to Maranello to test.  I’d blow them away behind the wheel and go on to an illustrious career winning the WC 7 times in a 10 year span!  I would retire from Formula One at the peak of my game. 

Ahhh....what a life.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 17 October 2017 at 5:18am

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I could've had a V8. But I'm human, and therefore require no engine.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 1:04am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I actually think about this a lot and so have a few answers.

As a kid, my first goal was to be a comic book artist - still working on that one as an independent "soon" ha. Or if I wanted to actually make money, I'd be a commercial illustrator. Remember this was how a kid might view the "drawing" industry.

My second choice was to do what Darren Stevens did in Bewitched. I sort of accomplished this working as a graphic designer and marketing communications fellow for small design studios and ad agencies.

My third choice was to be like Carl Sagan, who I thought, as a kid, wasn't a scientist but a narrator who collected the results of others and presented it to the masses, ala Cosmos.

Other things I dabbled in but wished I was more professionally skilled was 3D modeling. Would have loved to have been a character modeler or industrial designer.

Obviously I was always meant to be an artist of some sort....eh?

As for other true daydream positions....

Would have loved to have been a fantasy writer.

Would have liked to been able to create applications via programming (again I dabbled but couldn't really dedicated the time needed)

I would have perhaps liked to have been archaeologist/anthropologist because I really want to know where mankind/civilization was 14,000+ years ago.

I think it would be great to be a music composer too.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 17 October 2017 at 1:04am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 5:26am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

When I joined the Navy my math scores qualified me to be a Nuclear Engineer, which would have been interesting (and potentially profitable), but it was nowhere near my Art & Educator dreams.

Every time I pick up my guitar I wonder if, had I the time, I could have made it as a professional musician.

And I still thin it would be cool to be an actor. Of course, so do millions of other people.

So in summary, anything in the Arts, Though I also love Math and Science....
Back to Top profile | search | www

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm tempted to borrow a line from Edmund Blackadder: "The fact that I'm not a millionaire aristocrat with the sexual capacity of a rutting rhinoceros is a constant niggle."
WARNING!!!! Reading this quote while drinking any liquids could be dangerous to your electronic device.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think it would probably have to be movie director.

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 7:17pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Along the same lines, Robbie, I think it would have been a lot of fun to be an actor on radio shows in the 1930s and 40s. As with animation, an actor could play many different characters depending only on the number of voices they could do. You could be The Lone Ranger, a mad scientist or an old man and it wouldn't matter what you looked like.

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 6:42am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

When I was very young I wanted to be an archeologist. I was fascinated with dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures, especially the more recent Megafauna mammals.   
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version