Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: The Walking Dead - Season 8 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 1:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Anyone else catch episode 1? Thought it was pretty good and am hoping it continues in this vein following two disappointing seasons. 
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 3:30am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Haven't had the enthusiasm yet, Matthew.

Could I please ask for a brief synopsis (with few spoilers) of the first episode? I do enjoy the show, but in recent years, I've found it follows a pattern: exciting opening episode, lots of filler and then an exciting finale. 

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

My pleasure, Robbie. It's basically all the communities getting together and attacking Negan. It is an exciting episode which doesn't bode well for the weeks ahead ...

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thanks. It's on my recordable box, but I've been distracted with STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, the WWE Network and ELECTRIC DREAMS. I shall catch up soon, maybe later this week. :)

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

This was an strange episode and disappointing. The Saviors looked nearly indestructible last season but here they looked like a weak gang. 

The end of Season 7 showed Negan shouting "we're going to war" to dozens of his people who seemed to be reduced to about ten!! You'd think the Saviors would run into their compound and come out with lots of people and firepower but their secret weapon was... Gregory??

Hoping future episodes improve as this show has been a favorite of mine but is showing some "fatigue" in the writing department.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

What Charles said. =/

The season opener was a bit disappointing for me. In the previous season there were episodes and instances that showed just how far ahead Negan was thinking in otder to outwit and incapacitate Rick and the other groups. The season opener was a sharp departure from what we saw previously. I waited until this morning to watch the opener and was soundly underwhelmed.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The season opener was a bit disappointing for me. In the previous season there were episodes and instances that showed just how far ahead Negan was thinking in otder to outwit and incapacitate Rick and the other groups. The season opener was a sharp departure from what we saw previously.
This.  The way Negan acted when Rick etal surrounded him, I was thinking all the vehicles behind them (take a look... there are several large metallic train car-looking enclosures) were going to suddenly open and empty out thousands of Saviors to surround Rick and crew much the way they'd surrounded Negan.  Nope.  The Gregory revelation was not only hollow (nobody cared), it also ruined what could have been a more effective double agent for Negan working behind-the-lines.  Not that Gregory has ever been effective at anything.  Dumb.

Raining all the zombie herd down on Negan was a fine strategy on Rick's part but I didn't really get what all the welded corrugated metal plates were for on discrete sides of Rick's cars; to form a wedge (which didn't happen)?  Sure they looked all Mad Max-esque and cool, but what was the payoff for all that arc welding on different sides?   At least get in formation and have the metal bits recreate the Hollywood sign or SOMETHING. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The Saviors are a large group but they may be spread thinly through their territory. I had no problem with believing that Rick's crew could figure out how to get through Negan's defenses, especially with the help of a mole. And a big win first thing in the season could only mean much pain later on. And pain is what makes TWD fun! 

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Initially, I thought all the sheet metal on the cars was going to be for herding walkers. A way of moving a herd from point A to point B without all the planning we saw to get that herd out of the quarry. However, when it was revealed to be cover for the stand off at the Savior front door I sighed. I would have liked to see them wrangling a moving herd of walkers like it was a cattle drive. Lastly, since we are pointing out inconsistency, if Rick just wanted to kill Negen why didn't we see a salvo fired from the 40+ people pointing a gun at Negen while he stood on high talking Ad Nauseam? Was it all just a way to get him into a little metal box so he could deliver that "poo poo pants" line?

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That was my biggest annoyance with the opener - all the time Rick and Negan are standing there pontificating all I kept thinking was 'SHOOT. HIM.' It's not like the dialogue was anything inspiring.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 10:23pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Well, Rick started shooting halfway through his countdown, so that's pretty much the same thing as shooting while Negan was talking.  It's not like he let Negan go back inside or anything.

So, the Saviors were indestructible last season, but this episode Rick had them on their heels?  I guess you can't underestimate the value of Dwight giving the locations of the scouts or just starting early in the morning.  If the Saviors think they're indestructible, it actually makes sense that they wouldn't expect someone to just drive up to their front door and attack.  It would be a little unrealistic to expect soldiers to just spend every night in the woods or deserted cars.  Still, I was expecting some bombs or booby traps the Saviors could activate from safety.  And no sentries?

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Episode 1 did beg the question why seemingly low level  check point guards were taken out with no chance to respond whilst Negan's lieutenants were given the chance to turn themselves in before it got messy.

Episode 2 and I'm worrying that we get may be in for the antithesis of previous seasons with every episode in your face and a longing for the odd dull quiet one.

And a question for US viewers: how do the accents of Rick, Jesus, Maggie, Morgan fare? I'm suspecting the Andrew Lincoln as Rick is the weakest but would love to know.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I'm tired of 'should we or shouldn't we kill people' debates in this show, especially when the person they're debating saving immediately turns on them. I feel like it happens every season. We're so far past that debate, in my opinion, it makes the characters look stupid to argue about it.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

And a question for US viewers: how do the accents of Rick, Jesus, Maggie, Morgan fare?

Sadly, I had no clue they were British till I heard them speak on TALKING DEAD a few seasons back. (I'm usually good catching accents.)

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Could the franchise (the franchise, not a specific show) go on for 30, 40 or 50 years?

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 11:41pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

The thing that made me laugh was how the "Walking" dead were keeping up with Daryl on his motorcycle as they just shambled along. Reminded me of every slasher movie where the damsel in distress is running but somehow the slasher manages to keep up despite only walking, but at least the slasher moves at a brisk walk.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2017 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

TWD has been flagging for a while but I enjoyed the latest smaller cast episode featuring compelling sequences with Ezekiel and Carol, a heroic end for Shiva and Rick and Daryl's cool dispatching of the weapons truck at the end. 

As far as the AMC knucklehead CEO opining the show could run 30-50 years, that's what you say when a show is in favor with both fans and critics, not when the ratings have plummeted almost 50% from last season's premiere and overall fan / critical enthusiasm has clearly waned.   While the show still garners good enough demos to continue beyond this year it's no longer nearly the juggernaut it once was.   More to the point, that exec's spin will have far less impact on the future of the show than AMC's ongoing budget slashing (the first season had a $3.4 mill per ep budget; subsequent seasons have been reportedly around $2.75 mill.)

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2017 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

This season has been nothing but boring, despite the ongoing shootfest.  Speech. Meaningless firefight. Speech. More speech. More shooting. Speech. Everyone dies but the sort of major supporting character and the fan favorite. Oooh! NO speech.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2017 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

From the start TWD's writing has been mediocre with brilliant moments. This season is shaping up to be my least favorite. Maybe because Rick and his "inner circle" are now commandos. Or in D&D-speak, they are level 20 fighters. There's really no threat to them in their world that they can't steamroll over, eventually. 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2017 at 2:14am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Pretty sure King Ezekiel is no longer smiling, but man, those speeches about "still I smile" got old in the first episode they used them in. When they did it again with a different yet very similar speech in the next episode, it just seemed like lazy writing. 

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Rick and Daryl's cool dispatching of the weapons truck at the end

Although this made no sense to me. Had they been waiting around the corner waiting for Ezekiel and co to screw up. How could they possibly have known that the truck had the weapons in? Their sudden appearance and chasing of the truck made no sense. 

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2017 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Actually, it made perfect sense. In the previous episode, Rick & Daryl were raiding that building where they found Morales and Gracie to find the guns that the Saviors had taken there. When they searched the building, the weapons were gone and at the end of the episode, when they got that one last Savior to surrender, he told them where the guns had been moved to. After Daryl shot they guy, they headed off to the location the guy named... which was the place Carol and Ezekiel were. When they arrived on the scene, they saw a Savior truck pulling out and went off in pursuit of them. They obviously couldn't have known what was in the truck but taking it down was part of their "kill 'em all" plan. The only thing that one could quibble about is the fortuitous timing of their arrival on the scene.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Exactly: the timing made no sense.  

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version