Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: The Blacklist Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Is anybody here watching "The Black List"?

When this started, it looked like the show was that extra level above--a cable or British TV-level high quality show.  Lately, it's faltered a bit and anytime James Spader's Red Reddington gets serious and evil, it seems out of character or at least out of tone with the show.

But the thing that bugs me the most is the character of Tom.  This evil, evil piece of trash thoroughly betrayed Liz with their entire relationship built on a lie.  But the topper was when he murdered the security guard at the shipyard--an innocent, normal-guy security guard just doing his job, choked to death by a madman with a gleeful smile on his face.

Since then, they've ignored that, tried to give the guy his own (short-lived) spin-off, and now he's back in Liz's arms--like a sweet, loyal husband and father.  I've been waiting for this guy to get his just desserts for years now, instead he's now a "good guy" just because the producers say so.  (Probably a case of them liking the actor and bending over backward to keep him on the show.)  It just seems like a total betrayal of the loyal viewership.

I still like the show and enjoy it...up to the moment when Tom comes on screen.  It's very aggravating.

Does anybody have any info why exactly they would ruin the show to keep one actor working?  And can anyone think of any other example of such an egregious imposition of some higher-up's will over story logic?

Edited to fix the subject heading.  Blacklist isn't two words.~Matt

Edited by Matt Reed on 26 October 2017 at 12:58am
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 10:09pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

QUOTE:
I've been waiting for this guy to get his just desserts for years now, instead he's now a "good guy" just because the producers say so.  (Probably a case of them liking the actor and bending over backward to keep him on the show.)  It just seems like a total betrayal of the loyal viewership.

My impression was that Tom Keen's continued presence was in response to a portion of the fanbase, particularly the female side. I mean, it obviously wasn't big enough to carry over to REDEMPTION, but it's a vocal, sizable portion.

QUOTE:
Does anybody have any info why exactly they would ruin the show to keep one actor working?  And can anyone think of any other example of such an egregious imposition of some higher-up's will over story logic?

I don't think either of the following examples ruined their respective shows, but the redemption arcs for Spike in BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER and Regina in ONCE UPON A TIME really underplayed the penance necessary for the crimes those characters committed when they were evil. But they were popular with the fans, so we can handwave all those murders.

Edited by Michael Roberts on 25 October 2017 at 10:09pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 12:38am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

You asked.  I'll answer.  I think it's crap.  Stayed with it almost through the last few episodes of last season and then bailed.  At it's heart, it's a procedural.  It wants to be more, but is constrained by network to have a villain captured in nearly every episode.  But worse yet was dragging out the narrative of "is he her father or isn't he?"  Horrible.  That's not what kept me watching, but they thought it was so it became the tease. 

Every. Single. Season.

I became bored with it and, ultimately, dropped it like a hot potato.  Don't miss it at all.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 12:46am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Eric Jansen wrote:

Personally?  I think the Tom storyline is the least of the transgressions this series has suffered.  His story isn't the reason the series is in the shitter, now one of the worst rated shows on NBC.  I think it's because they didn't resolve the father-daughter relationship question they posed in the first season until season five and then they lamely attempted to move on from there to something more exciting.  They hung the series on Reymond and Elisabeth to the exclusion of nearly all else.  Everyone else is window dressing to their story.  Not the way it started, but definitely the way it has played out. Tom's arc is just collateral damage.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 12:50am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I liked it in the beginning, but never got through season 3. Even James Spader's considerable screen charisma wore thin. 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

My impression was that Tom Keen's continued presence was in response to a portion of the fanbase, particularly the female side. I mean, it obviously wasn't big enough to carry over to REDEMPTION, but it's a vocal, sizable portion.

Apparently, you're right.  I can't believe it but I googled things and found what people think about this show--a bunch of people feel as I do and hate Tom, can't ever forget that he killed an innocent person, and think when he wasn't killed off it ruined the show; other people love him, love the soap opera relationship with Liz, and say they would quit if Tom wasn't on the show.

It's hard to understand people sometimes.  "He's a heartless murderer, but he's dreamy!"

So, the question is: Do more people like him than are driven away by him?  I don't know, but I feel there would be more integrity on behalf of the producers/creator/writers if they got rid of him.  Ratings are dropping anyhow, at least go out with some dignity.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

So, the question is: Do more people like him than are driven away by him?  I don't know, but I feel there would be more integrity on behalf of the producers/creator/writers if they got rid of him.  Ratings are dropping anyhow, at least go out with some dignity.

——

I think that ship sailed once they wrote Megan Boone’s pregnancy into the show and made Tom the father of Liz’s child. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I don't mind Tom. But I thought REDEMPTION was a bad idea, and was proven right. And they have more or less whitewashed the character and glossed over past evils.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2017 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

We binge-watched the first four seasons on Netflix while DVR-ing (is there a better term than that?!) season five. We're all caught up and watching week-to-week now.

Anyway - I can't stand Tom. I hate his character and I have have been hoping for his death or departure since season one. Got my way for a few episodes, at least.

While I still enjoy it, I do feel it a bit harder to stay engaged now. 

I thought the Mister Kaplan story was great (she was actually a frightening nemesis) and I actually hope she pops back up, as ridiculous as it would be. 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 2:34am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

My wife, the last holdout in our house, just a few weeks ago saw the end of last season and the revelations (such as they were...ugh) and said she was done with the show. As I mention above, I had given up a scant 8 or so episodes sooner, however had I known the slog I was in for to get to where we ultimately ended up?  I wouldn't have made it past the pilot.  

People claim LOST was a horrible show.  I can't agree, but I really can't agree given the horribly decompressed, single-story focus of THE BLACKLIST.  Ugh.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version