Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Revolutionary New Cinema Pricing? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

What do you think?

Seems a bit convoluted to me. And of no interest.

I do enjoy visiting the cinema once a week (I have a Cineworld card). I enjoy the big screen. Some films work better on the big screen.

But I don't go as regularly as I used to. Why? I'm fed up with hearing mobile phone conversations, hearing ringtones and seeing bright screens. It seems that here in the UK, no-one can go to the cinema without using/looking at their phones constantly.

So, cinema chains, you'll get me visiting twice a week, like I used to, if you can invent a device that prevents outgoing and incoming mobile phone calls. ;-)
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It's a desperate attempt by theaters with a failing business model to boost sagging, depressed ticket sales.  As much as I love seeing movies in the theatre, I'm increasingly waiting the two - three months for the digital release.  We in LA (and other parts of the country) are paying high prices already.  My advance tickets for the IMAX 3D showing of THOR in a week cost $50 for my wife and I.  That doesn't include parking or any concessions.  For a family?  Forget about it.  Ticket prices, parking, baby sitter.  That cost can skyrocket to well over a hundred dollars for three or four hours out.  

If Regal wants to charge even more money for blockbusters than they already do, it's just more of an incentive for me to wait until I can own the film for $14.99 on iTunes. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The only way this might appeal to me is if the price for non-demand movies actually goes down.  I'd be much more willing to go check out small movies/indie flicks if I could do it at a reduced price.

Of course, that doesn't actually play into what this model is meant to do at all. 

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

About $24* for THOR tickets for my wife and I. No IMAX or 3D (I hate 3D, anyway). We live in small-ish area, so there is no parking charge at the theater. But they will get us on concessions. Baby's got to have her nachos. The theater lets your pre-choose your seat with your advance tickets, so we'll be sitting exactly where we want (without having to show up hours before).

If it were double that, or any less convenient, I'd think we'd have to just wait for home release...

*Would have been cheaper, but our opening weekend schedule is pretty full and didn't allow for a matinee.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 26 October 2017 at 2:03pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

If Regal wants to charge even more money for blockbusters than they already do, it's just more of an incentive for me to wait until I can own the film for $14.99 on iTunes. 

The truth for me is that there are very few films now that I absolutely must see on a big screen. It's nice to see car stunts (THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS) on the big screen. Or space battles, e.g. STAR WARS. But do I need to see MOTHER on the big screen? Or BAD MOMS 2? Neither of those films appear to be based on spectacle.

I'll see films if I feel the spectacle will be served well by the big screen. That scene in the previous THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS movie (I'm a big fan!) works well on the big screen. I saw the STAR WARS VIII trailer today, that looks like the big screen will serve it well. But happy to wait for others.

Also, I feel some movies may be better served at home. MOTHER, and God knows what it's about but it looks good, may work well on a TV screen in my studio flat late at night. Such an environment will add to the atmosphere.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Still have $5 matinees around here, which is where I see everything, especially on Monday mornings when I don't work. Just me and the retirees, so very few distractions :)

If I had to pay full price for movies, odds are I'd go to a lot fewer, especially popcorn flicks which, even when I enjoy them, tend to fade from me pretty quickly.

I prefer seeing movies of any kind on the big screen because I'll pay closer attention, whereas at home I'm much more easily distracted.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The local AMC in my hometown has 5 dollar matinees for all the new releases every Tuesday (all showings) with, I'm guessing, an exception for 3D ones.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 26 October 2017 at 4:32pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Even more reason to watch at home!

Seriously, how stupid -- I get they're desperate, the theaters, but this is STUPID -- are they to think making people pay MORE for select films will solve declining sales?

They are nailing their own coffin.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Being a person who, 95% of the time, goes alone to the cinema, price isn't as big on my mind as other people. It can be around six quid, or less, for a ticket. 

But it's different for families. A Twitter friend took her two daughters, and the daughter's friend, to the cinema. She told me that once food/drink had been added to the bill, it was £60. That's a lot!

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Another penny wise pound foolish ploy by a floundering movie industry.  Other than a few bulletproof tentpole pictures, I think this move COSTS the studios money.  The main issue for the weaker summer (as it usually is): weaker movies.  The wisest course to raise box office thus remains the same as it is most of the time:  make better movies.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 1:03am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I saw Thor Ragnarok with my wife on Wednesday
morning,i paid extra for the first showing of the day
as it was 3D because it`s the half term school holiday
i reckoned the kids would still be in bed and likely
to watch the slightly later 2D version.As i get
discounted tickets via my job it cost £19 for the two
of us.Much to my delight the cinema was virtually
empty,so no yakking,phone checking or constant toilet
break disturbances!
If the cinemas really want to attract more customers
they ought to be addressing the phone issue and
offering discounts for smaller films and NOT charging
extra for the blockbusters!
I don`t watch as many blockbusters as i`d like due to
cost and work schedules,so often wait for the Bluray
or digital rental,if they increase charges for the
blockbusters i can see myself doing this more.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 3:09am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

f the cinemas really want to attract more customers 
they ought to be addressing the phone issue

They need to. I'm fed up with conflict. I'm fed up with hearing a berk next to me having a frivolous conversation. These aren't doctors taking a call from a patient in urgent need; these are idiots saying things like, "Yeah, mate, how are ya? Yes, we'll have a beer soon..."

Fed up with bright glares of screens, too.

I honestly do not know why you would pay to go to a cinema and make/receive calls or send/receive texts for the duration. Why not fuck off and let the rest of us enjoy it?

I fell out with my brother-in-law about this. Last film we saw together was THE MIST (2007). He ruined it with getting his phone out and receiving texts for at least 80% of the film's running time. As we left the cinema, I said, "I don't know why you bothered watching this film." He said to me, "I didn't think it was much good." I replied, "How would you know, you were stuck to your phone for most of it?"

Haven't been to see a film with him since...

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 4:05am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

TANGENT
Robbie P.: "no-one can go to the cinema without using/looking at their phones constantly."

Here in the States, no one can got ANYWHERE without using their phone. ANYWHERE.

I'm a fairly large chap, and I have a bit of a walking issue... I've been using a cane recently, just to prevent a more intimate relationship with the ground. (I just want to be friends.)

I don't know how it works in the U.K., but in restrooms here, there is usually a handicapped stall - more space, handrails, etc. I find it by far easier to use this facility.

But at work (as well as other places), for about half the time, I find someone using it (as I check through the door crack to see if it is occupado.) I never begrudge someone using that stall; they might need it as much as I do.

But the sons of bitches are sitting there on their phones, playing games or some such - and that's when I want to pour a bucket of used water over them. THE TOILET IS NOT THE PLACE TO PLAY ON YOUR GOD DAMNED PHONE. Happens all over the place, and I get pissed - both on my behalf as well as OTHERS needing the handicapped facility.

Then a bunch of these brain donors get together in a theater to text, call, record the movie with their idiot boxes*, and I so wish I had a signal jammer. I wonder if some people CAN watch a movie anymore without their phones.

*Y'know, that used to be the slang for the television... but I'm thinking about implementing it for cell phones. People chained to their phones are pathetic.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Over here i notice a lot of `Phone Jaywalkers` you
know the type,headphones on,face engrossed in phone
oblivious to other pavement(Sidewalk) users or
cars.God forbid you should accidentally get in their
way,or if they step in front of your car and you honk
the horn to alert them to reality!
Then there`s `Remote Shoppers`(Yes i have given them
names!) These are people who sit at home whilst their
significant other does the shopping,you can spot them
in the supermarket,trolley in one hand,phone in the
other,picking items up,describing them,then putting
them back on the shelf,but not where said item is
meant to be,bumping into other shoppers,getting in the
way etc! Grrrrrrrr!
As for Eric`s `Toilet Gamers` this was happening long
before phones,skiving off work used to be aided by
taking a newspaper in there! I have one particularly
irritating work colleague who actually left his phone
in the toilet a few weeks ago and another colleague
handed it back to him!(I`d have been tempted to flush
it!) He freely admits to changing his energy or
internet supplier in the toilet using his phone!
A while back i answered an alarm,to see him emerging
from the toilet to answer the same alarm...no
flushing,running tap,hand dryer etc,so i assumed he`d
just been playing on his phone!Especially as he`d been
missing for 20 minutes,but emerged from the toilet
immediately as the alarm sounded. The management know
what he`s like,but as he is a long time employee,they
choose to ignore it.
Then there`s the drivers who use them,i despair!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I don't get it when I see people commenting on a show, via social media hashtag, whilst watching it.

I watched GUNPOWDER. On my own. Just me and the TV. I might comment on it later, but I certainly would not have been tweeting my thoughts whilst watching it. I want to actually enjoy it as it is taking place. 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

If I decided to throw my life away on a PhD in Theatre and Drama, my thesis would be on the essential role distraction plays in shaping an audience member's individual and unique personal experience and engagement with a production. 

Yeah, I actually kind of like people fucking with the phones. I'm often  entertained by the conversations. I can convince myself obstructed view seats are in a way actually better. Especially if the movie's not that great, which it often isn't. These things shape and sharpen my appreciation of the show itself. 

I admit, it's crazy. And I leave the theater to use my phone. 

When I moved to Los Angeles, it amazed me that audiences in a industry town like this will respectfully sit en masse through the complete credits in case one of their friends worked as a caterer, but they'll text through the man movie like teenagers.  

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

There are commercial available cellphone blockers that are not that expensive.  There's no reason why theaters couldn't get them.  They don't even have to announce it necessarily, and let everyone think they just aren't getting any reception.  They're sort of like anti-WiFi hotspots.  They market them heavily to churches, is how I became acquainted with them.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Yeah! Disney's LA concert hall has one. It was a little annoying since I was there for a conference, but brilliant and easy for a theater. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Yeah, I actually kind of like people fucking with the phones. I'm often  entertained by the conversations. I can convince myself obstructed view seats are in a way actually better. Especially if the movie's not that great, which it often isn't. These things shape and sharpen my appreciation of the show itself. 

Really? 

Must say I'm baffled by that. 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Compare it to having a special affection for reading comic book with crumbling newsprint pages, out of register coloring and a torn cover. 

I also like musical recordings where I can discern coughs and strings rattling against fretboards. 

Edited by David Miller on 27 October 2017 at 11:46am

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

There are commercial available cellphone blockers that are not that expensive.  There's no reason why theaters couldn't get them.  They don't even have to announce it necessarily, and let everyone think they just aren't getting any reception.  They're sort of like anti-WiFi hotspots.  They market them heavily to churches, is how I became acquainted with them. 

—-

There’s one reason. They’re illegal. Those churches are at risk of FCC fines. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Compare it to having a special affection for reading comic book with crumbling newsprint pages, out of register coloring and a torn cover. 

Not the same at all.

Firstly, with such comic books, you have the choice to buy or not. Sure, I can choose to go to the cinema, but I have no choice in whether I share the theater with selfish mobile phone users. It's pot luck. I may sit in a theater with ten decent people; or I might sit in a theater with two phone users.

Secondly, at least you can enjoy that comic. It may be torn, the colouring may be shite and it may have seen better days - but chances are you can read it and follow the dialogue. When a dolt is having a loud phone chat about his dinner, I have no choice but to listen; and I may miss an important piece of dialogue due to his voice or because I have to tell him off. And during an atmospheric haunted house scene, a shitty "Crazy Frog" ringtone will ruin the moment.

So, sorry, but I don't consider that a valid comparison.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Edited by David Miller on 27 October 2017 at 1:07pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

That's true, but I think it's odd that someone would enjoy a disruptive environment in a cinema, theatre, etc. Art is there to be enjoyed. I don't see the enjoyment in an atmospheric horror scene, which is very quiet, being ruined by an interminable ringtone and a conversation afterwards.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Eh, most horror films are terrible. 

It's not like I go to the movies demanding people talk and text. Except this one time...

I saw TEENAGE HOOKER BECAME KILLING MACHINE IN DAEKANO and the guy in front of me heckled 80% of the movie. When he quieted for a few minutes near the middle I kicked his chair and asked him to resume. And just in time -- a character pointed a gun into the camera, neatly setting up a "Shoot the director!" quip. 

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version