Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: X-Men: The Animated Series Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

If IMDB is accurate, X-MEN: THE ANIMATED SERIES made its debut 25 years ago today.

What do you all think of this show?

That same year, BATMAN: TAS made its debut - and was revolutionary and ground-breaking. In a way, X-MEN: TAS felt a little too "safe". I've never quite been able to put it into words. If BATMAN: TAS was Coca-Cola, then X-MEN: TAS was a generic brand of cola produced cheaply by a small chain of supermarkets. Harsh, I know.

It was good in a sense, but it wasn't "must-see TV" for me. I remember recording episodes of BATMAN: TAS if at work, but X-MEN: TAS was "I'll take it or leave it" for me. It wasn't compelling TV. Even when Blockbuster had some volumes on VHS, I never felt compelled to pick up the volumes, yet back in the day, I would definitely acquire tapes of BATMAN: TAS if TV didn't air an episode.

One of my favourite cartoons is the 1982 HULK cartoon. And the 60s SPIDER-MAN cartoon. And, of course, BATMAN: TAS. 

In a nutshell, I feel that superhero cartoons "upped their game" with BATMAN: TAS, so I really expected X-MEN: TAS to give us something groundbreaking and revolutionary. I may well be being a tad harsh, perhaps a rewatch might change my view.

What about the rest of you?
Back to Top profile | search

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It was certainly one of the most faithful interpretations I've seen - at least in terms of characters and general tone - though the chronology of its continuity was totally screwy. An early episode had the X-Men first fighting Mystique, without Rogue ever making any recognition of her or reference to their connection, which forced a retcon that Mystique raised her using a generic female form instead. There was also a reference to Jean having had "dark days" in the past, seasons before they decided to do the Dark Phoenix storyline.

The voice acting was hit or miss - Cyclops and Rogue were pretty much on point, but less so for the others. I didn't care for Xavier's or Beast's voice on the show. And Wolverine's felt off - too raspy in my opinion.

Still, it was surprising to see an animated show using characters and costumes that were just over a year old in the comics.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

X-MEN: THE ANIMATED SERIES was a "mixed bag" for me. Horrible animation but good adaptations from the comic books.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

X-MEN: THE ANIMATED SERIES was a "mixed bag" for me. Horrible animation but good adaptations from the comic books.

Yes, you are right, Charles. Good way of describing it.

And, Vinny, I'm with you on the voice work.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I was a big X-Men fan in those days so it was exciting to see them on TV, and see the then current versions. The animation was stiff and, even then, it was clearly not a patch on B:TAS.

Still, I grew up an X-Men reader and this was the peak of all that for me.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Bad animation. Bad dialogue. Especially for Storm. Lots of "I SUMMON THE WIND!!!" and such. Bad cartoon overall. But at least its version of Cable wasn't the son of Scott Summers. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Bad animation. Bad dialogue. Especially for Storm. Lots of "I SUMMON THE WIND!!!" and such. Bad cartoon overall. 

Yeah, you may well have hit the nail on the head, Adam.

It's like, for me, it's not as great as the sum of its parts - and those parts aren't that great, either.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Robbie, I was one of the people who got the 'privilege' of seeing the sneak preview train wreck first showing of the original pilot -- unfinished animation, artwork and special effects and a different voice actress for Storm (who later reprized the role when X-MEN:TAS crossed over with SPIDER-MAN).   Several of the first season episodes were aired in a different order as well, with different endings because the episodes were a serialized story.

The animation studio fell way behind on production and Fox weirdly decided to air the show incomplete.

All of this has been corrected on later showings but you can still find remnants on the internet if you look hard enough:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120207094427/http://drg4.wario company.com/xpilot.html
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I recorded that unfinished pilot! But I overwrote it with the fixed version once it started airing regularly.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

There are those out there for whom this show hit that sweet spot in their age and interest ranges and became very important to them, in much the same way certain Krofft shows from the 70's came to occupy a happy place in my consciousness. 

I have two friends who are very much a fan of the X-Men Animated series, and for them it represents exactly the era of the franchise they idealize and most like to revisit. Storm in all-white. Bishop. Gambit. Jubilee. Morph. To at least two people I know, this was the epitome of the X-Franchise's history, and while they may be able to view the episodes with a more critical eye today, that's not why they watch...

Just as I don't watch H.R. Pufnstuf to wallow in the crass, floppy-foam stupidity of it all. On some level, it's still kind of bizarre and wonderful to my eyes, & I'd rather keep it that way.

I do remember being completely wound up to see the "Pryde of the X-Men" episode of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends back in the day. Kitty with the voice of a forty-year smoker. Wolverine with a would-be Crocodile Dundee accent getting stuck into a wall and staying there for the entire length of the fight... "Eh, mate? Wanna piece of fruit?" By the time the Animated X-Men rolled around, I was already out of the X-Men, with no interest really in following a kid's show about them.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2017 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm obligated to honor my childhood and view the series with nostalgia, but I'm more than happy to admit it's not great. Still, nostalgia.

Also, I had VHS tapes (from a Pizza Hut promotion) which contained the first few episodes, and included the alternate Storm voice for the pilot. I was later surprised to hear the redubbed version when I watched the pilot in reruns.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2017 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

There were episodes that I liked but overall, I wasn't a fan of the show. If you had been reading the comics for any period of time, the relationships with Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Angel were irritating and then later giving Iceman a prior history with the team seemed pointless. I find some of my younger friends love the X-Men thanks to this cartoon so to each his own.

But to be fair, I love Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends so who am I to judge? 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 01 November 2017 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

One of the weirder moments of my life, up to then, was turning on the TV and seeing a Shi'ar spaceship I had designed cruising across the screen!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2017 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I didn't mind the show, but I knew it wasn't for me when I saw the first episode scene where a sentinel told Scott Summers to surrender, and he answered, "Of course... NOT!" That was when I knew it was a little too cheesy. I hate that phrase... it seems too easy and obvious to make a good insult.

The show also had a classic mistake that was duplicated in X-Men 2099. There are the standard characters in the intro/on the cover... and in the story, there's another character. DEAD MAN WALKING. I knew Morph was a goner the instant he appeared on screen. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2017 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

It seems the show will always be divisive.

Part of me would like to rewatch it to give it a "fair trial", but who has the inclination? It'd be hard to watch a show I've already seen (mostly). 

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2017 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Brian Hague: "Just as I don't watch H.R. Pufnstuf to wallow in the crass, floppy-foam stupidity of it all. On some level, it's still kind of bizarre and wonderful to my eyes, & I'd rather keep it that way."

I'm glad it's not just me, Brian! I'm still a sucker for a rerun Sid & Marty Krofft show.

As for the X-MEN cartoon, I didn't stick with it very long. I remember being geeked up to see the X-Men onscreen, and gravely disappointed by the actual product (mostly the animation). I doubt it really measured up that badly to most other cartoons of the time; I probably just had unrealistic expectations.

Edited by Ted Downum on 01 November 2017 at 9:53am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2017 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Superhero cartoons for me have been hit and miss.

One of the SUPER FRIENDS incarnations isn't that impressive, nor would it stand up today, I'm sure. There are old BATMAN cartoons where the stock footage got tiresome after a while.

Then there are shows I do enjoy, such as 1982's THE INCREDIBLE HULK, the 90s SPIDER-MAN cartoon and the modern JLA cartoon. At least each episode tried something different. 

I just can't put my finger on it, but very little in X-MEN: TAS appealed to me. Perhaps having been super-impressed by BATMAN: TAS months earlier spoilt me a bit!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 01 November 2017 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I just can't put my finger on it, but very little in X-MEN: TAS appealed to me. Perhaps having been super-impressed by BATMAN: TAS months earlier spoilt me a bit!

I think that's it in a nutshell, Robbie. BTAS had revolutionized the approach to TV animation, and XTAS immediately defaulted back to the GI JOE standard.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2017 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

It was stiff and goofy. I preferred Batman definitely. But at least Marvel did the show. It seemed they were never going to get these characters on TV!

And I love the 80s-era Marvel animation. Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, Transformers, Dungeons and Dragons!
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 3:48am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

B:TAS and X-Men were my favourite cartoons - for completely different reason.
Everything about B:TAS was perfect
Much about X-Men was not. But. It did some good stories, and it took the time to do Phoenix/Dark Phoenix right - something like 5 hours when you add both together. Compare that to X-Men: Last Stand

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 4:40am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

One of the weirder moments of my life, up to then, was turning on the TV and seeing a Shi'ar spaceship I had designed cruising across the screen!

I bet that was a weird rush.   I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times before but had you ever considered going the Jack Kirby route, maybe not in the nuts and bolts of animation but in design?

Incidentally, ISTR on first viewing of XMEN:TAS' Dark Phoenix adaptation they had inserted a bearded/blonde Hellfire Club member in the background that I always thought was a possible homage to someone familiar. I'll try and dig up a clip or screenshot.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times before but had you ever considered going the Jack Kirby route, maybe not in the nuts and bolts of animation but in design?

Nope!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I suppose at least I got to see Juggernaut, one of my favourite villains (I don't recall him appearing in a previous Marvel cartoon, but I guess now is the point where someone points out he had a cameo in a prior series). ;-)

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Here you go - he was in the first X-Men episode of SPIDER-MAN AND HIS AMAZING FRIENDS.

And boy did that blow my mind when I saw the X-Men appear when I watched it first run!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Ah, I see, must have missed that one.

I'm sorry that he never showed up in the 1982 HULK cartoon. The Abomination didn't appear in that show, either. Sad. 

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version