Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Yet Another Shooting Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 3:07am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

They make me sick.

A failed shoe bomb attempt and we're all removing shoes at airports. But numerous mass shooting and nothing done about gun ownership/use. That's sickening and distasteful.
Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 3:48am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Things more regulated than guns:
Hair products
Soft drinks
Laptops
Nail varnish
Any other liquid you care to mention
Kinder eggs

Granted this is mostly to do with flying but hopefully the point stands.

Just how disrespectful is it to think 'One day, we will have to start a revolution against our government'?

But hey, I thought you already had an armed militia so surly the 2nd amendment does not count anyway for Joe Public.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 5:30am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Apparently his Facebook profile picture was a picture of
that automatic weapon,that says a lot about him.As
usual,big business and a misguided idea of human rights
will stand in the way of common sense and the human
rights of the majority to live in relative safety.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Just how disrespectful is it to think 'One day, we will have to start a revolution against our government'?

••

As I have noted many times before, what the idiots who think this seem to completely fail to understand, is that the moment they take arms against the government, they lose the protection of the Second Amendment.

The wording is quite clear. The Amendment allows possession of firearms in support of a well regulated militia, and only the government can regulate.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Will Wheaton had a great tweet for Paul Ryan. Too bad he felt the need to apologize to the delicate snowflakes among the faithful later. 

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm out of sympathy. Yeah, it's a shame people were killed. Our politicians allow it, because they're afraid of the NRA and like gun lobby money.

But even if the majority of people are in favor of stronger gun laws, they aren't acting on this inclination. Only a minority of voters are actively campaigning on reforming gun legislation, and the politicians have figured that not enough people care enough about the issue.

Until our society gets it together, this is going to continue. I have no more "thoughts and prayers" to give.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

But even if the majority of people are in favor of stronger gun laws, they aren't acting on this inclination. Only a minority of voters are actively campaigning on reforming gun legislation, and the politicians have figured that not enough people care enough about the issue.

••

And dead people can't vote -- at least, not outside Chicago.

Point is, tho, that We the People should not need to actively protest this. Did we have to band together to make murder illegal?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

And worst of all, IMO, is that this is now happening SO often that people are actually becoming inured to this. "Oh look, Mildred... another dozen people shot to death in Eugene, Oregon by an automatic weapon." "That's a shame, Hubert. More meat loaf?"

Obviously, this isn't the case for the families and friends of the victims, or those who live in the cities where these occur - but there are so many. It's become too commonplace, and I fear that we're getting shell shocked.

Solutions mean nothing. We're a fairly intelligent bunch on this board, and we could probably come up with a dozen workable processes to start shutting this down... but without those making the laws doing anything about it, we're helpless. 

Tomorrow is Election Day in the United States - but it's an off year, so there'll be a minimal turn out. It SHOULD be the start of a year long vetting process to get the right people in office who will START TALKING ABOUT GUN CONTROL But no viable candidate will take that stand, and the electorate won't, or can't, get behind this to force it through.

I would say, "Well just wait until it comes to someone in Congress getting shot" - but it happened! And they STILL don't do anything? What if someone in the NRA gets shot? They'll probably still rail that if the victim and eyewitnesses had been armed, it would never have occurred.

And I saw someone in the congregation of that church say, "And now those victims are with our lord, Jesus Christ." I cannot get my mind to understand this. How does this logic not lead to killing loved ones so that THEY are with Jesus? And how do they worship a deity who allows such things to happen so damned often? Just to twist this horrifically... didn't God promise no more floods after Noah? Tell that to people in Texas and Florida and Puerto Rico.

Thoughts and prayers. Yeah, right. Save your prayers for yourselves, because lead-jacketed destiny is coming to you sooner or later.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The massacre at The Sandy Hook Elementary School convinced me nothing will ever be done...  20 children between six and seven years old were killed and it wasn't enough to bring about stronger gun laws.

Voters need to take a strong stand against the NRA and politicians who support them over the people's will.. but that's not likely to happen, is it?

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JB: Point is, tho, that We the People should not need to actively protest this. Did we have to band together to make murder illegal?
It's a good point. We should not have to.

That said, the only way to overcome an entrenched and powerful lobby is to have popular and very loud support to make change happen. The only thing politicians (a cowardly and superstitious lot) fear more than loss of campaign donors is angry voters during election season.

We should not have to lobby to prevent such frequent mass murders from happening; that it seems we have to do so is a serious black mark against our society.

We simply love our guns more than our right to not be shot.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I can only assume that since Trump believes this to be a mental health problem rather than a gun problem, he will soon be unveiling a comprehensive mental health care plan for our nation to help resolve it, right?

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I wish I was more optimistic about our chances of enacting stronger gun laws, but as it stands, the frequency and horror of these crimes has not jolted the American conscience enough to get people off the couch and onto the streets in sufficient numbers.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version