Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Yet Another Shooting Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'd never be facetious about gun deaths, but if prayer works, then what if people like Ryan pray for no more mass shootings?

A church is the last place you'd expect a shooting (from the perspective of a believer). What will it take for them to change things?!
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

CONSERVATIVE COLUMNIST: GOD WAS ‘ANSWERING PRAYERS’ OF TEXAS CHURCH VICTIMS BY LETTING THEM GET KILLED

I have no words.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Do you know what I find most disturbing, Matt? I truly believe that the columnist 100% believes that. 

EDIT: Look at this:

Can someone point out the biblical passage pertaining to firearms? 

I presume it was Genesis, I'm guessing Noah would have needed a gun. Or maybe Cain was given one (perhaps the "mark of Cain" was a firearm). Failing that, perhaps Adam and Eve required firearms after leaving Eden (lots of wild animals about!).

Or is the tweeter (who I'd only heard of today) being ignorant?

Edited by Robbie Parry on 07 November 2017 at 3:09pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

God answers all prayers. Sometimes the answer is "Fuck you!"

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

LINK

With those tiny hands, he needs metal phalluses to feel like a real man.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I fear there is no solution because those who want a solution do not have the power. I wish I could be more hopeful.

I can't even imagine a compromise, e.g. certain types of gun not being sold.

I'm depressed by some social media people today (no-one famous). One guy talked about he needed lots of ammunition in order to stay alive. I might accept that argument from a person living in a war-torn African country (which had descended into anarchy), but from a guy living in the US, I found it utterly nihilistic that someone could go through life with such a view.

What a paranoid and nihilistic way to live your life.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

This event, trauma, horrid time mixes with so many things: love, life, the pursuit of happiness, the unfettered right to own guns, Christianity, god, etc., etc., that it makes everything just about meaningless.  

A one year-old child was murdered.

A pregnant woman was murdered.

I get so, so, SO very tired of reading the inevitable victims biographies at the Washington Post, but I feel I have to in order to honor those that were murdered due to senseless gun violence. 

If Sandy Hook wasn't enough...

If a club in Orlando wasn't enough...

If a country concert in Las Vegas wasn't enough...

A church doesn't stand a chance.

I'm sorry, but f**k any Second Amendment righter's who think this is anyhow acceptable or OK or "the price we pay".  I'll double down on f**king those who "pray away" the violence.  

It's horrible. 

It's wrong.

There's something evil in our (American's) love of guns.  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The religious folk always seem to dance around the ages old question of why God lets these terrible things happen. It comes down to three, and only three, choices. These things happen because.......

...God makes them happen.

...God lets them happen.

...God is unable to prevent them from happening.

Pick one. You'll end up with a God who is not deserving of anybody's worship.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

WHEN will a well-funded lobbying national organization rise up to counter the NRA and level the playing field?? I just read this interesting article that presents my question clearly -

The article doesn't cover a lot of specifics, but it's worthy "food for thought".

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'm not religious, but have been to church for Xmas carol services. Without being religious, I can say the experiences have been nice, e.g. people shaking your hands, asking how you are.

Non-belief aside, churches should surely be pleasant, gun-free places of worship, right?

Not according to the "brain surgeons" at Gun Owners of America:

Brian Skelley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Robbie Parry wrote:
Can someone point out the biblical passage pertaining to firearms?

Not firearms per say, but this site [link] does break down the Biblical scriptures on the use of deadly force in self defense. It does talk about swords a lot, which one could easily make an argument that it applies to firearms are they're just updated weapons... unless someone's going to attempt to tell me that swords are OK because they're cool and somehow don't have the same intent of design. I came across the site looking up something else. I haven't had the chance to break everything in it down to see how it aligns up with the rest of the Bible, but it does speak to what you're asking about.

The strange (yet interesting thing) about this Texas shooting is it really screws with both the anti and the pro gun sides. For the Anti-gun side it was another shooting and people died because someone shot up a place. On the pro-gun side, this guy was stopped by another guy with a AR. It's been said (and I've not seen one person try to say otherwise) that the body count would have been much higher had the neighbor with his gun. This really is a case where the NRA's "Good guy with a gun stops Bad Guys with guns" rings true. Which is odd in itself. Also on the Pro-gun side is the fact that the murder was kicked out of the Air Force for Domestic Violence. That would make any guns he owns illegal. The only reason he was able to buy them was because the Air Force did not bother to inform the FBI this happened. It would have flagged on the background check (yep, there are background checks, just not retained nor as in depth as some people want them, please see National Instant Criminal Background Check System

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Maybe I'm making a leap, Brian, but based on that, there are no doubt people in society who feel that a rocket launcher should be a right. Or grenades. Seriously. Someone could argue that he/she lives in a violent city and that a rocket launcher would protect him/her against a car full of shooters.

Where do we draw the line on weaponry?

And what is self-defence? Me carrying a pistol if walking through a lawless African country, where bandits are known to frequent, could be considered self-defence; but if living in the suburbs of a peaceful US state, do I need all manner of hi-tech weaponry? Where do we draw the line?

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version