Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Is there light at the end of the tunnel? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Bendis has left Marvel and signed exclusively for DC.

Hopefully, Marvel will rediscover that they were built on action and not talking heads. I read an issue of Doom as iron Man yesterday and it was just so boring with all the action taking place off camera and people just talking about it on camera.

Please, Lord .....
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I can't say exactly how much blame Bendis deserves for the current state of affairs at Marvel (though I suspect it's quite a bit), because I haven't followed Marvel for at least a decade. The last stuff of his that I read was probably something in the Ultimates line, and I only remember that I found it talky and dull. From what you say, James, his style hasn't changed much.

I'll just have to avoid his DC books, at least until the next time the insomnia starts up again.

Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Hopefully they'll have him helping revive the Vertigo line, rather than working on superheroes.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That would suit his style better. I await the scene of Darkseid calling Supergirl a cow

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

After 16 pages of irrelevant, talking head bs leading up to the two even being in the same location.

Bendis is a master of padding, but he's not that good a writer. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I am more concerned about DC. Hopefully Bendis' writing will benefit from some real editorial input, instead of Marvel's alleged rubber-stamping of his trash. I want to make an analogy to a sailor celebrating having gotten an infamous STD, but that would be crass. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 07 November 2017 at 5:10pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

If Marvel has "lost" Bendis, why do any of you assume they will not seek out someone whose approach is as close to his as they can find?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I can't say exactly how much blame Bendis deserves for the current state of affairs at Marvel (though I suspect it's quite a bit)

——

I think Bendis’ influence as a Marvel architect kind of peaked nine years ago with SECRET INVASION. The mid-2010s were more Jonathan Hickman, and today’s Marvel is just throwing things against the wall to see what sticks. I’m not sure what people are expecting to change with Bendis leaving. Marvel is just going to be doing what it is doing.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 9:11pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Bendis leaving won't solve Marvel's issues. I feel it is Axel Alonso who is one of the biggest stumbling blocks to getting Marvel back on track. Alonso was hired on at Marvel during the Bill Jemas era, and I recall Alonso stating he was not a fan of superhero comics back when he was first editing for Marvel. I wish I could quote a source, but I as a comic shop owner and retailer during the period, I remember noting Alonso's disdain for the concept of superheroes.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 10:25pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Bendis leaving won't solve Marvel's issues. I feel it is Axel Alonso who is one of the biggest stumbling blocks to getting Marvel back on track. Alonso was hired on at Marvel during the Bill Jemas era, and I recall Alonso stating he was not a fan of superhero comics back when he was first editing for Marvel. I wish I could quote a source, but I as a comic shop owner and retailer during the period, I remember noting Alonso's disdain for the concept of superheroes.

Matt, I also recall Alonso saying that he wasn't a fan of superhero comics after he was hired by Marvel. The people who are most responsible for screwing up Marvel comics over the last 17 years are Jemas,Quesada,Alonso,Buckley, Brevoort,Bendis,Millar,JMS,and Morrison.

Edited by Rick Whiting on 07 November 2017 at 10:34pm

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 10:33pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

If Marvel has "lost" Bendis, why do any of you assume they will not seek out someone whose approach is as close to his as they can find?

Probably because over the last several years Bendis "selling power" has drastically declined. Bendis is no longer able to sell books with his name alone. A large number of fans have woken up and realized that Emperor Bendis has no cloths. Where many fans in the past were once praising him for his "realistic" and "naturally sounding" dialogue, many of those same fans have now realized how silly and stupid his dialogue really is and have over the recent years proceeded to mock his dialogue.

Edited by Rick Whiting on 08 November 2017 at 2:21am

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 11:41pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm "sure" he will be "okay" .

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version