Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Is there light at the end of the tunnel? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 1:22am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Any time you can get the wolf out of the henhouse, it's a good thing.  BMB made me drop mainstream superhero comics, more specifically Marvel comics. His take on AVENGERS, SPIDER-MAN and the X-MEN was abysmal.  He and his style drove me away roughly 8 years ago.  I probably won't come back, but I'll DEFINITELY not check out DC comics simply because he's "the name".  I will, in fact, avoid them.

YMMV
Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 3:20am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm hoping that this could lead to a move back to traditional comics values. I really am.

Him, and his ilk, seemed embarrassed to write action. There were some pretty neat concepts that were done but the execution was just so boring. How can you have a multi-year set up of a Skrull invasion, with major heroes swapped out conclude in an 8 part series that had practically zero action? How?

Why are super heroes running around in street clothes or variations thereof?

DC, for the most part, appear to have kept their costumes. Yes there have been changes but they are still costumes. Marvel look like street clothes a lot of the time. I wonder what will happen at both companies. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 5:07am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

QUOTE:
I'm hoping that this could lead to a move back to traditional comics values. I really am.

As Matt H. alludes to above, Marvel's issues are more structural than the influence of one writer, who isn't even as influential as he once was. You are complaining about things that are nine years old, and while some of those issues are still around, there's been a whole bunch of newer and more prominent issues that have cropped up since then.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

•••

For most people working in comics today, and most readers, too, "traditional comic values" means "since I've been reading."

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Great. Now he can ruin DC too. :D

As much as I enjoyed Jessica Jones, any time he worked on a mainstream Marvel book it was generally terrible, Iron Man (if you can even call it that) being the latest example. 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Marvel really needs a BACK TO BASICS approach... and hiring some veterans from Marvel's past would help tremendously... but I'm sure egos from the current management would get in the way of that. They probably believe traditional comic book characterizations and storytelling wouldn't work with today's audience.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I would never want to tell people how to think, but I think we have to be very careful about the overlap between nostalgic pining (which is fine) and reality.

I miss a decent UK comic industry. I miss a UK comic industry that had anthology titles like EAGLE, TIGER and BATTLE (my EAGLE, circa 1980s, had about 9 strips in). 

But I know it's not coming back. The UK comic industry now consists of 2000 AD, COMMANDO and the BEANO. The rest are UK reprints of superhero titles and licensed stuff (which can be tacky). The "old days" are gone, sadly.

Enthusiasm and optimism is fine, but only if reality sets in. The old days that some want back are gone forever.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I feel that Marvels problems start at the top, from David Gabriel on down. I think that Axel Alonso just tries to bring in "names" outside the industry as well as indy talent (something that Joe Q. and Bill Jemas started) as opposed to comic professionals. The editors almost seem like "We Love Being At Marvel" fans as opposed to being professional editors. I feel that writers are preferred over artists and that's why people like JRjr. have gone to DC. But I'm hopeful as I've started to pick up a book here and there. I just don't have faith that Marvel's vision will allow them to be consistent unless their sales have a major increase. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Bleeding Cool report on why Bendis might have left Marvel:

LINK
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Apparently DC is currently courting Hickman, too.  I've liked a lot of Hickman's stuff, his FF run and Secret Warriors particularly.  I certainly enjoy his work more than I've ever enjoyed anything by Bendis.  But I also don't know how exactly he fits with the DC Universe.  Hickman doing a Silver Agey take on Superman or Flash could work.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 5:05pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Hickman has made no secret of his love of Legion of Superheroes. He basically turned the Avengers into it. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2017 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Lord I hope he stays the hell away from the mainstream DC Universe. If he wants to do creator-owned work for Vertigo, fine; crime-story work, fine; but if he gets his hands on, say, Batman, it's time to run for the hills!

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version