Topic: Policticians are in on it too.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Let's not make excuses for anyone, regardless of their political leanings or their sexual orientation or anything else. 

Sexual harassment is sexual harassment, period. 

Sadly, the accused are presumed guilty first.... there are many who will exploit this current issue, making it harder for those who are genuine to be taken seriously. I'll wait to see how these accusations develop into real cases as this is really serious on both sides.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Context has something to do with it. Roy Moore has spent decades in public office behaving as a demonstrably corrupt and hypocritical sleaze bag. He lost the benefit of the doubt years ago. He defied orders from the Supreme Court. He was removed from office twice. He tormented homosexuals who were unfortunate enough to fall under his power in court. He received a secret six figure salary from a nonprofit set up to employ him and members of his family. The trajectory is inevitable, and the only real surprise is he wasn't raping teen boys. And voters should presume his innocence and elect him to abuse yet another public office? 

Likewise with Weinstein. I've read enough about his abuses that rape was bleakly unsurprising.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Child abuse is unfortunately normalized in what I'll politely restrict to Southern political culture. South Carolina senator Strom Thurmond, segregationist presidential candidate and civil rights villain of two parties, started grooming his eventual second wife before she was six years old, before marrying her when she was 22 and he 66. This disgusting episode of child rape is romanticized in his home town as a fairy tale about a little princess who tamed that ol' rascal Strom. Visitors to the Aiken Historical Museum can see this 4' x 5' photo hanging in a place of honor in the Strom Thurmond wing:

In Seattle, the former mayor was dogged with allegations of sexual abuse for years before the camel's back broke earlier in 2017; I suspect the reluctance of liberals to confront a real-life example of an ugly gay stereotype helped delay the inevitable. But there was never a civic conversation about the precise boundaries of statutory rape like they're having in Alabama.

Edited by David Miller on 11 November 2017 at 7:25pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 7:47pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

And not only that, to have people defend it using the Bible?
----------------------------------
As Bill Maher also pointed out last night, sort of the whole point of the story in the Bible is that Mary and Joseph didn't have sex.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 November 2017 at 2:08am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Charles Valderrama wrote:
I'll wait to see how these accusations develop into real cases as this is really serious on both sides.

It is serious, I agree.  But I'll also add that in many of these situations there will be no "real cases" at all.  Many have long passed the statute of limitations with regard to being prosecutable. So if we're waiting until there's an actual criminal case brought against the accused, then the Weinstein's and the Moore's of the world have already won.  Sure, Weinstein's career is in the toilet (yet Moore will more than likely beat Jones) but they won't be brought to court.  Their years long abuse was bought and paid for via pay offs, threats of litigation or, in the case of Moore, the child being too young to actually understand what was going on.  With that in mind, does that mean that we then can't believe any of the accusers? That without an actual trial, the accused are to be considered innocent?  Or can we as a society agree that there are limitations to the rules of law wherein someone can't be held accountable in a court of law but can nonetheless be guilty of a crime when scores of people from different walks of life, from all over the country, and none of whom have "colluded" come forward with the same story of abuse?

I'm all for restraint, but I'll also cop to siding with those that have absolutely nothing to gain from publicly coming forward except to spare others the pain that they've endured. Not one of these accusers has asked for money (except Cory Feldman which is a whole other level of ick) and the reactions they get from the unwashed via Twitter and elsewhere are unflattering...and that's being kind. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2017 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Well, if I was wrongly accused in the public arena of such things, you can bet I would be suing for defamation of character.

I'm guessing we're not going to hear from many of the accused on this point.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm all for restraint, but I'll also cop to siding with those that have absolutely nothing to gain from publicly coming forward except to spare others the pain that they've endured.

When you word it that way, Matt, I totally agree.... just concerned that in this wave of accusations, someone can be accused wrongly - simply as a vendetta/smear tactic. (Course, most of what's been reported with multiple victims don't apply to this.)

BTW, over the weekend, DC Comics announced it has suspended longtime editor Eddie Berganza after new details emerged about previous allegations of sexual misconduct in and outside the office.

The hits keep coming!!

-C!

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2017 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

And now, Senate Dems are pushing Sen. Al Franken to the brink of resignation over recent accusations of inappropriate behavior...

-C!

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2017 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I roll my eyes whenever people bring up Bill Clinton's "abuses" with consenting adults, and a string of women bankrolled by right-wing millionaires.

People who don't suspect Bill Clinton is a rapist likely haven't seriously looked at the evidence. Here is one left-leaning site's analysis: VOX on Clinton Rape Allegations.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2017 at 5:15pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Tearful Liberal MP should accept James Bezan's fifth apology and move on

The pendulum is starting to swing. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2017 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

So, the Democrats that are accused are called upon to resign and it looks like Franken is going to. Meanwhile, a republican that admits to sexually assaulting women gets elected President and an accused pedophile is supported by the Republican Party and defended by Christians. 

What the fuck is happening in this country?!? It’s like looking into some bizarro, alternate reality. 

(And no, I’m not saying it’s ok for the Democrats to do it too)

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version