Astro City #49
Kamandi Challenge #11

Dark Horse:
Sherlock Frankenstein And The Legion Of Evil #2
Back to Top profile | search

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2017 at 1:54am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Incidentally, today a Twitter "friend" told me about STARSTRUCK, written by Elaine Lee. I had not heard of it previously. She tells me it influence Moore's work on WATCHMEN.

I'm curious to track down STARSTRUCK.

IDW released "remastered and expanded" version, with new art, text and colouring, a couple of years ago.

The same is happening with the second series, "Old Proldiers Never Die", which is currently being released as a mini-series.

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2017 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I plan to pick up Doomsday Clock #1, mostly because I like Gary Frank's art, and also to see what the hubbub's about--but I have a feeling I won't be reading the whole series. It would have to be way better than I expect it actually will be.

The whole idea behind Rebirth just gives me a headache. Crossing over Watchmen with the mainstream DC universe was both totally unnecessary and probably inevitable, but it also feels...absurd, in a way that's hard to define. I might feel the same way if I heard about a crossover between Sin City and Goofus & Gallant...one with which Frank Miller had no involvement.

And it would not surprise me at all to see Rorschach in the JLA. And I can hardly wait for the big Batman-Rorschach confrontation. Because you know that's coming.

Edited by Ted Downum on 28 November 2017 at 1:13pm

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2017 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Ted -- I don't think DOOMSDAY CLOCK will be that predictable.

"Rebirth" and DOOMSDAY CLOCK are happening because DC editors realized they'd written themselves into a corner with the New 52, and sales were no better than they were before 2011, and so things needed to change dramatically. And they have. 

I was shocked by and skeptical of the whole Dr. He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named rewriting reality idea. But it no longer bothers me. It's an extreme measure, of course. But it makes a sort of...poetic sense? The influence of WATCHMEN ended up influencing mainline DC comics in a very bad way -- especially during the New 52 era. So a story in which, essentially, the brightly colored fun characters (and, yes, Batman) of the DCU "fight back" against the darkness, the glumness...I like the idea. 

Believe me, when you read the first issue, it won't be what you expect it to be. 

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2017 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Adam Schulman: I don't think DOOMSDAY CLOCK will be that predictable.

Fair enough, Adam. If it proves me wrong, I'll be pleased!

My LCS sold out of #1 before I could get to it, so I'm waiting on the second printing, but I've browsed the reviews, and they're positive-to-gushing. I look forward to checking it out. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version