Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Our Favorite Mopees Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

In another topic about Clark Kent's glasses and the Master Mesmerist of Metropolis, we discussed Mopee stories (such as Clark using his Kryptonian glasses to hypnotize others to see him frailer and weaker than Superman, or Bruce Wayne’s older brother Thomas or Jor-El and Lara still alive but floating through space in suspended animation.)

Mopee was a character in The Flash #167 who claimed that he was responsible for Barry Allen becoming the Flash. The story was promptly forgotten and written off.

A lot of these type of stories appeared in Bob Haney's "Brave and the Bold" stories... occurrences and characters that were used for the expedience of the story and then dumped.

If you're not beholden to continuity, these probably don't mean anything to you. But I always saw these and twitched really hard... I think others have too.

So what are some of these stories or events that you liked - or hated? Some of mine are...

Green Arrow using telepathy to communicate with Aquaman's pet octopus, Topo.

Ben Grimm with super breath.

Wonder Woman's Amazon Guardian Angel.

And arguably my favorite... the Captain America story with this dialogue spreading over two pages...
"Only one of us is going to walk away from this fight..."
"...And it won't be me!"

What are your favorites?

Incidentally, some writer (I don't recall who) once postulated that all these "imps" were associated - Mr. Mxyzptlk, Bat-Mite, Mopee, Kwsp, Zook, etc. A silly idea... but I would have loved to see Mr. Byrne's take on this (as his Generations' treatment of Mxyzptlk and Bat-Mite was incredible.)
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

And arguably my favorite... the Captain America story with this dialogue spreading over two pages...

"...And it won't be me!"

•••

How does that fit the model you've set for this thread? The others are silly, even stupid stories. That's just a mistake.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Your post reminded me of an old Superman story that gave Superman two powers I don't believe were ever revisited (thank goodness)

Edited by Rick Senger on 07 December 2017 at 11:53am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Would the change of Wonder Girl being Wonder Woman as a girl into a wholly separate person, ala Donna, count as a "Mopee"? I recall this happened when the writer of TEEN TITANS (I believe it was Bob Haney) thought Wonder Girl was a separate character because of the stories and covers where both Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl seemed to coexist. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Many would place the Sub-Mariner's rarely used aquatic abilities in this
category, but not I!

IMPERIUS REX!

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

And arguably my favorite... the Captain America story with this dialogue
spreading over two pages…

"...And it won't be me!"

•••

How does that fit the model you've set for this thread? The others are silly,
even stupid stories. That's just a mistake.

•••

Not realizing it was a mistake, I would have read that as a hero bravely
heading into battle knowing he has no chance of winning.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

No, that's one of those bloopers that Stan Lee was famous for making, and then jokingly apologizing for in the Soapbox(same with the Hulk's alter ego being 'Bob' Banner. Unfortunately, he's been stuck with 'Robert Bruce Banner' as a result ever since).

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

About the "Robert Bruce Banner" thing, when did that become cannon? I don't think it was during Stan's era. If a later writer decided to make the mistake officially part of Banner's name, I wonder if that would make Peter Parker actually "Peter Palmer Parker,"and Spider-Man would be "Spider-Super-Man"? After all, both mistakes of "Peter Palmer" and calling Spider-Man "Super-Man" in the text happened in those early issues.

Karl Wiebe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I hated seeing Peter Palmer Parker's eyeballs on his mask at the dramatic realization in Amazing Fantasy #15—that always seemed like a major swing and a miss to me.  I like "white" eyes only for Batman, Green Lantern... and especially Spider-Man!

Edited by Karl Wiebe on 07 December 2017 at 2:54pm

Roberto Melendrez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The whole "Superman's 'S' means hope" thing- also Superman sees people's "Auras". 

Both drive me bonkers. Hell, I can accept the Sword of Superman before I'll accept that nonsense- and the Sword of Superman is a Mopee if you ever saw one.  Not sure if the "Hope" thing counts as a mopee since it's probably still in continuity but I sure wish it wasn't. 

Edited by Roberto Melendrez on 07 December 2017 at 5:32pm

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

'The Sword of Superman' thing is one of many examples of the kind of thing I criticized Elliot Maggin for upthread. Overwrought, existential-metaphysical-'I just took a bong hit and got a KEWL idea' claptrap.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Karl Wiebe wrote:
I hated seeing Peter Palmer Parker's eyeballs on his mask at the dramatic realization in Amazing Fantasy #15—that always seemed like a major swing and a miss to me.

Really?  I think it's an absolutely brilliant move by Ditko to underscore the absolute shock and horror that Spider-Man is feeling in that moment.  It requires suspension of disbelief that we can for that one moment see through his eye coverings, but since that is the pivotal emotional moment in the story (and arguably, in Spider-Man's career) it is worth doing.  Ditko is the one who made up the rules about Spider-Man's mask.  He's allowed to break them if he feels the situation is dramatically warranted. 

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 07 December 2017 at 4:31pm

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version