Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: New Computer Running Windows 10 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Wow!

So, much work, tedious and sometimes frustrating. Doing the routine stuff, like transferring files or partitioning hard drives remains the same, a little time consuming, but straight forward. Some of the license transfers are slow, deactivate, email a notification and wait to activate the transplanted software. More later, I've got to fix the registry  so I can use Windows photo viewer again...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

That went well, back-up the registry, merge in a reg file which allows  access to the photo viewer and the remainder is re-associating the image files to the application. 

I like the Windows Photo Viewer it allows me to quickly review images for file maintenance purposes. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Do what I did. Buy a Chromebook. ;-)
Back to Top profile | search

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

What is a Chromebook?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

A computer that runs the Chrome OS instead of Windows. It's pretty cheap because the OS is free, instead of a hefty licensing fee going to Microsoft. It also means you can't run any Microsoft Office applications, which is one of the key drivers for having a PC. But if you just want something to browse the net on or you're already a user of Google apps like Docs and Sheets, it's a budget option that avoids all the frustrating things about Windows.

Paul Reis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

AND ... if you already have a monitor and a keyboard ... 

this one is just a bit bigger than a USB stick (and, for some reason) is cheaper in Canada - i got mine for less than $120 Can.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yaah,  but I can't avoid the frustrating things about Windows. 

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'll have to examine the potential of it. I had planned to use the "old" computer as an media device and station it near my main television. Does anyone use it to access Amazon or Netflix maybe YouTube?

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Got my current computer a few months prior to Windows 10 being released, and when they offered the free upgrade, I declined. So I'm running Wndows 8.1, and don't regret it. My parents have computers with Wndows 10, and I don't care for it. (I've had to go fix issues wirh my father's laptop a few times. They're usually issues that he has caused, because he's world class tech illiterate.)

When the free upgrade began, Windows 10 was having issues with certain video cards and drivers. And my video card was one of those affected (a big issues was that you couldn't change screen resolution). They fixed the issue while the free upgrade was still in play, but I still chose not to upgrade.

Bryan Eacret
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I hate Windows 10 and how it functions. I find it hard to do even simple things on it. When my work switched over from Windows 7 to 10, I gave it a go and 10 almost drove me nuts.
I installed an overlay called Classic Shell that makes my computers look and function more like Windows 7. Now it's easier to find files, open multiple window, etc. 
I use my home computer more for media than work. I have it connected to a 60" monitor. I used to run sound through an amp, but now I just plug the speakers right into the computer. It works fine with DVDs, Netflix and playing music. I installed the overlay on that computer, as well.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Having trouble with mail right now. I'll have to come back to it.

My three screens are different colours, two screens are exactly the same hardware, but signal is from different video ports. I will have to tweak each individually. 

I don't have much use for Windows 10 other than it is what my software recommends. The previous computer came with Windows 8, which my software did not recommend, so I did a complete OS wipe and installed a very clean Windows 7, but that was almost 4 years ago. Why does that seem easier in hindsight, than the current problems?

I am struggling with some of the vernacular (argot) which has changed considerably during the past 4 years. Things seem to be more obtuse and hidden. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 5:03pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Windows 10 kept wanting to install and I kept saying no. And then one day it installed itself. I was mightily annoyed during the download and installation. And then it asked me to accept the terms and conditions.

Ah ha!

I didn’t accept them. Back to Windows 7 my computer went. One happy boy

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version