Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Happy Holidays vs Merry Christmas: Who Gets Most Offended? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I do not understand why Christians and Catholics ************************************************************ ******************* Isn't that a bit like saying dogs and dalmatians? 

——-

There are poodles and malamutes that are insistent that dalmatians aren’t dogs. 
Back to Top profile | search

Jeremy Boyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2017 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I personally think of christmas as having nothing to do with Jesus Christ or religion -- I just think of christmas as Santa Claus and good times and old movies like Grinch and It's A Wonderful Life...

I find it strange when people I know have kids and don't engage in christmas traditions and "the big lie" about Santa bringing gifts... My experiences of this are some of my favorite childhood memories..

BUT -- I get that not everyone thinks like I do. And I also don't care what other people do. Live and let live baby!

If I say Merry Christmas to people I mean "Be happy! Life sucks most of the time but maybe you can try to convince yourself it doesn't this time of the year" -- but this forum has given me ponderings that "Season's Greetings!" might be more appropriate...

Cheers! All the best! and Happy Festivus!

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2017 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Eric Sofer : While a meet and fit subject for discussion, might I propose that we NOT tangent this topic into a discussion of Jesus' reality, preaching, and discussion of the Bible? I'm not entirely certain that such are wholly relevant to Happy Holidays vs Merry Christmas vs Happy Hannukah.

I second this notion. Best to keep in the Spirit of the Holidays and let people celebrate in the peaceful ways they see fit.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2017 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm divided on whether to respond. I agree with Eric. I just meant to offer my perspective as a Christian, not spark a debate.
But Andrew did ask for a scriptural references. I was thinking of people of diverse social and professional status as well as religious orientations. Here are passages that support that: John 4:1-30 and 10:1-16 and Luke 19:1-10.
Whether you agree with me or not, I hope you have a peaceful and pleasant holiday season.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2017 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

As an atheist, "Merry Christmas" has never remotely offended me. Whether you are an atheist or not, the holiday is still called Christmas. That said, I've noticed of late more cashiers/clerks/car hops telling me to "have a blessed day" and that bugs the crap out of me.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2017 at 3:40am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This past Sunday,  at the flea market,  I overheard one of the dealers wishing a customer "happy holidays." I couldn't clearly hear what happened next, but I think the customer said something about Christmas and the two got into a friendly discussion about using the more general holiday greeting. 

The conversation seemed to lean towards how the dealer used the greeting as to not offend anyone, but it was obvious from what was being said that neither was happy with being more politically correct,  so to speak. 

Another real world example of this topic.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Anthony Pfau
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2017 at 5:07am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I try to be respectful of individuals beliefs- 
I wish Merry Christmas to peeps I know who celebrate Christmas- and Happy Holidays to those who I'm not sure of- I never been offended when someone wishes me Happy Holidays or Seasons Greetings- some people are too damn sensitive

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version