Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Alpha Flight Question for JB: Guardian on Ganymede Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It's been a long time since I read this story but I remember clearly believing Guardian's story when he "came back from the dead" because I saw it on panel.
The "armor fused in the flesh" detail made the story of "Guardian on Ganymede" believable too.

Did you do this on purpose or "Guardian"'s story was supposed to be real (I think Marvel really brought Guardian this way).

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I loaded Guardian's resurrection story with as many red herrings as I could, short of Dick Tracy style arrows pointing out THIS IS FAKE. I really was surprised when so many fans accepted it at face value.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I fell for it. I did notice the discrepancy from Guardian's on-panel death, but I guess I didn't think to scrutinize that since I was just glad to see Guardian back.

One could ask why Heather didn't, either.....but the same reason can be applied to her as well!

Steven McCauley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think Heather believed for the same reason most of us did.  Because we wanted Guardian back so bad!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'd been thinking... if Disney was to do ALPHA FLIGHT, I'd suggest doing (in 2-3 episode arcs)-
- AF reborn: team reunites to fight Tundra
- vs. the Master of the World
- Omega Flight/Death of Guardian
- Fall of Sasquatch (also introduces Talisman)
- Mac's Back, introduces Vindicator, ends with his real return.

How would I have brought him back? Use the cosmic fishing rod built by Box and Jeffries to pull Mac out a split-second before the suit explodes. In the "death" episode, there would be a telltale flash before the suit incinerates itself... and Mac would be brought forward, burned but alive, to the end of that story arc.

When Delphine appears as fake-Mac, her story *should* be implausible... but Heather wants it to be true so badly she isn't being critical enough. And maybe it'll fool the viewers too.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I also would have used worldwide panic over the alien invasion in AVENGERS as justification for Canada developing its own superhero program--even to the point of taking Am-Can's tech (Mac's suit), which is legally questionable--and then finding "Hey, there's no aliens attacking and this program costs us a TON of money, so... sorry, Jimmy, we're cutting your funding" as of episode 1.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There was a subtle subtext in AF that was probably beyond most American readers (and Canadian, too, truth to tell). During the War, when there was an embargo on foreign publications, there was a brief flurry of Canadian comics, known as the Canadian Whites (because they were in black and...). One of those was a sexy superheroine known as Nelvana of the Northern Lights. Supposedly she was named for an Inuit goddess (was the goddess, in fact), and when I made Nelvana Snowbird's mother, in the back of my head it was the superheroine I was thinking of.

So, no need to explain the formation of Alpha Flight. Canadian superheroes have a tradition as long as Captain America!

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Wow... I never knew about that. If it was beyond American readers just imagine the French.

To get back to my question... I must say I fell for it too but I remember thinking it was really a weird tale and that something was wrong. I thought something was missing but I never imagined Mac was in fact that awful "Courtney".

Edited by David Schmidt on 14 December 2017 at 5:12pm

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I new Guardian was Delphine Courtney when I read “Next issue: Omega Flight.”
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Never knew about Nelvana--that's pretty cool! Thanks, JB!

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2017 at 6:47am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"John Byrne: One of those was a sexy superheroine known as Nelvana of the Northern Lights. Supposedly she was named for an Inuit goddess (was the goddess, in fact), and when I made Nelvana Snowbird's mother, in the back of my head it was the superheroine I was thinking of." I was actually wondering about that. That's a really fascinating insight. It* links up with a continuum of Canadian history too.

*corrected typo - It's

Edited by Dale Lerette on 16 December 2017 at 7:25am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2017 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I knew about the Canadian Whites, but only because of the interview JB gave in the old X-MEN COMPANION book, and other interviews. Pretty cool!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version