Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: OT: Arthur C. Clarke (1917-2008) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2017 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"Against the Fall of Night" / "The City and the Stars" were (was?) early favorites of my SF life.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2017 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB wrote: "What you call "unimaginative," others consider a challenge."

To no good end whatsoever.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2017 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Clarke was as foundational to my worldview as any other artist working in any other medium.  It's kind of depressing to walk into a bookstore these days and see how his catalog has been reduced to 'Childhoods End' and maybe one of the 2001 series.  

For starters, Robbie, I'd recommend getting an omnibus of Clarke's short stories.  There's almost not a clunker in the bunch.  Clarke's dry, precise prose is probably the most elegant of the major science fiction writers of the middle 20th century.  It always struck me as very British, but you'd probably be a better judge of that (it's not terribly far removed from C.S. Lewis, in my mind, particularly if you compare any of Clarke's earlier novels to something like Lewis's 'Out of the Silent Planet.'

And while Clarke's shorts always deliver the hard sci-fi good, there are a few that really stand out in memory and also show his breadth as a secularist thinker who wasn't afraid to grapple with religion and philosophy: Maelstrom II, Breaking Strain, The Nine Billion Names of God (with one of the best closing lines in all of fiction), I Remember Babylon (which pretty much came true), The Wind from the Sun... man, I could just list the entire catalog.  Of note is his collection of Tales from the White Hart, a series of sci-fi tall tales set in a bar that let Clarke play around with all of his fun ideas that weren't particularly, well, scientifically accurate, which was always his key mission.

So may of his novels have disappeared, but up until 1986 or so, he never wrote a bad novel.  His last truly good one, 'The Songs of Distant Earth,' showed the strains of a guy who didn't really much like to sit down and write anymore (this isn't me casting aspersions, mind you; he says as much in the afterword).

The original 'Rendezvous with Rama' is a stone classic, but do yourself a favor and skip the half-assed sequels.  As noted above, Clarke really quit being a writer by the late 80's, so the later books were written in collaboration with Gentry Lee.  Which is to say that Clarke wrote a general outline and Lee wrote the books, and it shows.

Clarke's run of novels from the 70's are probably his best, including Rama.  Look for 'Imperial Earth' and 'The Fountains of Paradise.'  His early ones mentioned by others ('The City and the Stars') are fun, golden-age mindblowers.  Childhoods End is a must, of course.  The first three 2001 books are all good (the last, 3001, is okay, but half-baked).  And a good example of Clarke's general output is 'A Fall of Moondust' - not a classic, but a good potboiler by a guy who really knew how to make pots boil.

Have fun, and keep us posted.  I'm a bit envious in that you're exploring an author I've run out of works to explore.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2017 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thanks for the recommendations, Dave. I often get book tokens for Xmas so will definitely seek out his work. :)
Back to Top profile | search

Dave B Stewart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2017 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The original 'Rendezvous with Rama' is a stone classic, but do yourself a favor and skip the half-assed sequels.  As noted above, Clarke really quit being a writer by the late 80's, so the later books were written in collaboration with Gentry Lee.  Which is to say that Clarke wrote a general outline and Lee wrote the books, and it shows.

I don't disagree with you at all.  The sequels could have benefited from Clarke's (relative to Lee) economy of verse.  The sequels are dense.  Bursting with ideas, but dense.
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version