Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: What Doctors Have You Not Watched? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2017 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Topic title is self-explanatory!

I have never seen a complete Peter Davison tale. I don't think I was really watching it properly at the time, nor have I had a yearning to seek out any Fifth Doctor DVDs.

I've only seen one Troughton story ("The Tomb Of The Cybermen") and that wasn't that long ago. So if I'd posted this many years ago, Troughton would have been on the list, too.

It's only the Fifth Doctor's tenure I haven't seen.

When I chat to some folk, there are quite a few who haven't seen a lot of Doctors. A friend of mine has only seen the Fourth Doctor onwards. My mother did watch the show when it started, but I think she probably tuned out around Davison's era - and hasn't watched it since (she tells me). So she's not seen Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann or any of the actors who've played the role since the show returned in 2005.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 18 December 2017 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm ancient of days, so I started with Hartnell one year after thr BBC debut. I didn't see any Troughton until the three Doctors gathered for the first time. (Now, what was that story called?) Pertwee I'd "met" on a local access channel while living in London, Ontario.

There's a big gap after I moved back to Calgary. About four years before I encountered Tom Baker on PBS in Chicago. Saw the transformation to Peter Davison but no episodes until years later.

Then it becomes rather jumbled. I came back to the Doctor with Eccleston, followed by Tennant, followed by Smith. Along the way I picked up bits and pieces of Baker2, McCoy and a glimpse of Paul McGann. I saw some Capaldi, but didn't care for that version (especially $&@! Clara!).

Peter Cushing, of course, doesn't count.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2017 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I have yet to see anything of Hartnell's outside of film clips. The same is largely true of the Troughton and Pertwee eras, although I have watched the reunion episodes and seen them there. I came in during Baker's run, but rather late, during the Key of Time series. I hung around afterwards for much of the Davison tenure, but didn't love it as I had the Baker episodes. I left before the switch to Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy. 

McCoy's Doctor appears briefly in the Paul McGann film so I've seen him there, but I've stayed away otherwise. I liked what little there is of McGann (the TV movie and the short prequel to the Day of the Doctor) and largely enjoyed Christopher Eccleson's year. For various reasons, I did miss episodes of that series, and haven't caught up with them. I believe I've seen everything of Tennant and Smith in the part, enjoying both. I have missed episodes of Capaldi's Doctor and don't feel a great need to catch up with those.

I am looking forward to the next series with Jodie Whittaker, but it looks a little Davison-era in tone and concept to me at this early point. I'm hoping it will be at least a little better than that. If nothing else, the large cast should reduce the amount of wacky-companion-wank and hipdeep fanthink. Or so I tell myself to bolster my failing optimism...

Edited by Brian Hague on 18 December 2017 at 2:24pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2017 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I didn't watch WHO as a kid, so after getting into it during Matt Smith's tenure I tried to catch up and quickly realized I wasn't so much a fan of the show itself or its title as I was of specific actors and presumably showrunners. I watched at least a couple serials from every Doctor up until Colin Baker, who I couldn't stand, so I just watched "The Two Doctors." I didn't make it to Sylvester McCoy at all, although I've heard good things about a couple of his serials, so perhaps someday. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2017 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It took me a while, but I finally saw every Doctor, when I caught a cable showing of the McGann TV-movie in the early 2000s(not sue if that was before the new series started, or possibly between Eccleston and Tennant).

As for Brian Hague's comment, I could live with a Davison-ish(-esque? -ian?) vibe, if it means an improvement in the writing. I've watched four good Doctors (well, Eccleston and three good Doctors) give good performances in spite of writers' efforts to 'lose' the Doctor among a lot of 'Mary Sue' stories. If they suddenly decide that 'Doctor Whitaker' is even more omnipotent than The Amazingly Nauseating Plot Device Girl, then we have a problem.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2017 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Sadly, my only exposure to the Second Doctor is limited to THE THREE DOCTORS, THE FIVE DOCTORS, & the animated version of THE POWER OF THE DALEKS. I haven't seen THE TWO DOCTORS....yet.

When it comes to the Sixth, I've only seen THE TWIN DILEMMA and another story, but it was so long ago that I don't remember which one.

I've seen various Seventh Doctor serials, but not even half of Sylvester McCoy's run. I just know for a fact that PARADISE TOWERS is my absolute least favorite serial from what I've seen of the classic series. I used to own SILVER NEMESIS on VHS.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2017 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The Seventh Doctor has some stories I enjoyed, e.g. THE GREATEST SHOW IN THE GALAXY and GHOST LIGHT (GHOST LIGHT probably requires two viewings!). They were planning to go off in an interesting and dark direction had he continued.

I like SURVIVAL, the last serial of the "Classic Era", but some of the comedy elements didn't work well.

PARADISE TOWERS has its moments, but too much spoils it.

Regarding the series in general, I wouldn't recommend TRIAL OF A TIME LORD if you're approaching the series for the first time, but if you can watch many classic serials prior to that, it's a good arc. And the Sixth Doctor's speech whilst on the stand, well if you're a dialogue person, you'll love it!

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 19 December 2017 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I came into the Doctor late into the relaunch after deciding to check out
the first couple episodes via iTunes for a.long flight. I’ve been a huge
fan ever since, so found myself going back to get caught up with the
previous Doctors. 5, 6 & 7 are the only ones I really have minimal
exposure to. Something about them never seemed to draw me in
enough to hook me into wanting more. I’ll eventually start checking out
more adventures since they’re (mostly) available via Britbox, but I’m not
in a rush.

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2017 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I've seen some of every Doctor, but my experience of Sylvester McCoy's run is very limited. I bailed out of the original series during Trial of a Time Lord, and I didn't become a regular viewer again until the revival. In fact, now that I think about it, I picked up The Curse of Fenric as a random used DVD purchase, and I got Remembrance of the Daleks as part of one of the 50th-anniversary retrospective sets, and those might be the only two complete McCoy episodes I've ever watched.

In fairness, those are both pretty good stories (especially Fenric), and so I've always kind of vaguely meant to go back and catch up on the McCoy years. I'm given to understand that Silver Nemesis, Ghost Light, Survival, and some others are worthwhile.

Edited by Ted Downum on 19 December 2017 at 9:29am

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2017 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

What I've seen via clips, and read via transcripts, from the 'missing' Hartnell and Troughton serials often surpasses the full surviving stories of theirs that I've seen. 
Point:'An Unearthly Child' and 'The Daleks' are 'classics' for introducing the main characters and the 'iconic' villains
Counterpoint: 'A story about cavemen' followed by seven episodes of the Thals, who are, IMO, rather bland(then again, I find stories set on Skaro aren't nearly as interesting as the Daleks on the move throughout time and space. I could also substitute 'Gallifrey' and 'The Doctor' into the previous sentence).

Then, we got the two-episode filler, 'Edge of Destruction'. Meh.

Then...'Marco Polo', seven fascinating...and lost...episodes. 
The only reason there were any surviving stories of the first two Doctors was simply sloppy record-keeping. Most of what wasn't 'wiped' were copies that were improperly stored/labeled, and a bunch of those episodes had just been stashed somewhere at the Beeb and forgotten when the original masters were wiped. If only they had been that sloppy with 'Marco Polo'.
It's a shame that Hartnell's last serial, 'The Tenth Planet' is not complete, even though the regeneration scene survives. And then we lose most of Patrick Troughton, who had some of the best interaction with his companions.  I particularly liked Ben and Polly, based on the Target books I read, but only their first story survives in full.

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 20 December 2017 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It is frustrating and rather baffling that we don't have a single episode of Marco Polo. The first two Hartnell series were the most widely sold and would have had the greatest number of prints made. And yet we have three episodes of The Daleks' Master Plan which was never sold to any overseas broadcaster (although a set of prints were sent to Australia, the story was rejected and never shown). The prints that exist may well be the only copies of those episodes that were made.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2017 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

DOCTOR WHO MONTHLY, in the early '80s, reported two of those 'Master Plan' episodes were film prints that had turned up at some church, apparently items that hadn't been sold in a 'jumble', and were held onto for a while until someone phoned the BBC about them. Not sure where the third episode came from, but it was some years later. The odd few episodes turned up in Nigeria over the years, so that could have been it.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2017 at 11:16pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

The reason I dislike PARADISE TOWERS as much as I do is because it was 4 episodes long, but should have been 3. There's too much of nothing going on at times. Also, it has Mel in it. I hate Mel. She's my least favorite companion of all time. (Beating out Clara, who takes second.)

Looking at the synopsis for each McCoy era serial, I know I've seen TIME AND THE RANI, PARADISE TOWERS, and SILVER NEMESIS. I *may* have also seen THE CURSE OF FENRIC, but I'm not sure.

Looking at those for Colin Baker, I believe the serial I saw besides THE TWIN DILEMMA was TIMELASH. 

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2017 at 3:57am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Well there are a couple of Doctors I wish I could un-see, namely Colin Baker* and Matt Smith, but I pretty much grew up with Doctor Who and saw them all. For me the first five Doctors are the 'Great Doctors', then it all went horribly wrong with the 6th, while, with the exception of Remembrance of the Daleks, I found the McCoy era rather 'meh'.

*I always feel sad and guilty about not liking Colin's era as I've met him several times in real life and he's a lovely bloke.

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 21 December 2017 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

DOCTOR WHO MONTHLY, in the early '80s, reported two of those 'Master Plan' episodes were film prints that had turned up at some church, apparently items that hadn't been sold in a 'jumble', and were held onto for a while until someone phoned the BBC about them. Not sure where the third episode came from, but it was some years later. The odd few episodes turned up in Nigeria over the years, so that could have been it.

The "church" (sometimes reported as a Mormon church or church hall) where episodes 5 and 10 were found was supposedly a building previously used/owned by the BBC. The exact story of their recovery remains unclear as far as I know.

Episode 2 was returned by a former BBC engineer called Francis Watson who had acquired it from a projection testing room IIRC.

Whether these copies were the prints rejected by Australia or a different set remains unknown.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2017 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

My childhood DOCTOR WHO viewing experience was on a PBS channel that eventually became more difficult to receive(being without cable after a move, we had to rely on 'rabbit ears', which meant I could hear just fine, but seeing through 'snow' was rather difficult.)
 The station was just starting the William Hartnell episodes at the time. I think I gave up after 'The Keys of Marinus'. Maybe I could have stuck it out with better reception, but I've just never warmed up to Hartnell's characterization, anyway, and half an hour squinting at a blurry picture of  a cantankerous old man just didn't say 'Doctor Who' to me. I revisited Colin Baker, and acquainted myself with McCoy, here and there, but 1986 was the end of my nightly viewing.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 December 2017 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Well there are a couple of Doctors I wish I could un-see, namely Colin Baker* and Matt Smith...

•••

I've seen only fragments of Baker2, but Smith became instantly my favorite Doctor -- even tho Moffat's excesses prevented me from enjoying -- or even watching -- a third or more of his episodes.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2017 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I've seen only fragments of Baker2.

If it's not too much trouble, Mr Byrne, I'd love you to watch "Trial of a Time Lord", and then write and draw an adaptation of it. It's my only request to you. I'll never ask for anything again. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2017 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

My biggest issues with the Matt Smith era are Clara, which continued to be a problem into the Peter Capaldi era, and the crap making him the longest living Doctor. Using his regeneration energy as a nuclear-level weapon was a major eye roller. But I like the way the regeneration from Smith to Capaldi was pulled off.

(Clara is my second least favorite companion, but it's due to the way the character was written. Mel is my least favorite, but that's due to how the character was written AND the acting.)

I'd have to say my least favorite Doctor is Six....as far as the tv show is concerned. He's actually great in what I've heard of the Big Finish audios (only a few of the free first episodes), since they let Colin Baker play a proper Doctor and not the egotistical jerk that Six was on the show. If you take Six's audios into account, then Nine is my least favorite. Not eccentric enough, and he dressed too normal. 

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2017 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Nine was given too much of a 'human' attitude...except for the 800 times he would distance himself from humans by calling them 'stupid apes'. His wardrobe was the least imaginative(and here comes the 'just like Moffat planned after the War Doctor' crap...)...and with all the 'offscreen' issues about Eccleston's departure, it was too much.

Im not sure I've seen an entire 'Mel' story. I've never made a point to seek out 'The Trial of a Time Lord'(after reading about that season in 'DWM'), and made a point of skipping the stories she did with McCoy.

My least favorite companion of the 'classic' series? Probably Leela. I disliked that they wrote out Sarah((i the days before companions left, but became 'recurring' characters), and never warmed up to the 'savage' replacement.
As for the new series....the writing of Clara eventually destroyed her for me, regardless of how much I liked Jenna Colman's performance.
I didn't care for Rose(or Billie Piper, especially when she returned in the 50th anniversary episode, with some weird capped teeth or something, that gave her a weird lisp, 'Yef, Doctor, it'f feriouf!') Mickey always had a badly stereotypical 'scared, bug-eyed' look, and Captain Jack...well, at least he seemed less annoying after he left, and River replaced him as the new 'worst recurring character'.

The focusing on companions' families, especially Jackie Tyler, along with 'exposition via watching BBC News' was another one of many annoyances of the Ecclestone/early Tennant years.
It definitely got better with Donna and Amy(although their 'special' qualities were the template for rehashing and overdoing the idea with Clara). They need, in the worst way, to go back to 'normal' companions. Children don't relate to 'Mary Sues', and 'civilian' adults don't get the concept, anyway.

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 21 December 2017 at 4:58pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

The only thing that bothered me about Rose was making her special and the Doctor falling for her. 

But my three least favorite companions from NuWho (from worst to most tolerable) are:

1. Clara. She was wonderful at first, and Jenna Coleman is cute as a button. But the writing made her into a character who was hard to tolerate. Pardon me for being crude, but the Doctor eventually lost his balls around her, and she was too bossy. Hated how she was written out, as well. (Strangely, I liked Danny Pink. And they just had to go and kill him off....)

2. Rose. I never had an issue with Billie Piper. But the Doctor falling in love with Rose never made sense to me, and she's not all that special.

3. Mickey. Too dumb. Also hard to believe that he married Martha. (And we really didn't get enough of Martha.)

River Song fits into a special category, I think. I've been an Alex Kingston fan since she was on ER, and that's probably why I tolerated River more that I probably should have. It's hard to believe that the River Song who was around Eleven and Twelve is the very same character that died when she appeared with Ten. But I'll take River over Clara any day.

My favorite NuWho companion is Donna, hands down. Though I loved Amy, Rory, Martha and Bill, too.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2017 at 4:32am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I could have liked Clara if Moffat hadn't decided to turn her into The Most Important Companion Ever. I actually thought she worked better with Capaldi in his first season than she did with Smith, but then it went down hill quickly. Devoting an entire season to 'sort of' killing her off was so...oh, I can't even find the words.

I'm afraid I never took to Donna because I couldn't get over the fact that it was 'famous (in the UK at any rate) comedian' Catherine Tate playing her. It didn't help either that I'm not a fan of Tate's brand of catchphrase comedy. At the time she came into Doctor Who, Tate was at the height of her popularity and it seemed like a bad case of stunt casting. Also, and I don't know if it's true, but to me it felt like Freema Agyeman was unfairly shoved out to bring Tate on board - I didn't like that.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2017 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Moffat is an irritating little man, and he and his adolescent 'Mary Sue' fanwank need to go far, far away, and never write for any formerly iconic franchise, forever.
Whew.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 24 December 2017 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I could have liked Clara if Moffat hadn't decided to turn her into The
Most Important Companion Ever.

Wasn’t that pretty much the plan from the get go with her? If you go
back and rewatch the early episodes with her that was the plan all
along. It isn’t like he pulled a “Wolverine” with her because she was
suddenly popular.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 24 December 2017 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

River Song fits into a special category, I think. I've been an Alex Kingston fan since she was on ER, and that's probably why I tolerated River more that I probably should have.

•••

My reaction has been pretty much the opposite. I liked Alex Kinston on ER, but my nearly alergic reaction to River Mary Sue Song has made it highly unlikely that I shall ever be able to watch those other doctors again.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version