Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Xmas Special Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 December 2017 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I liked it,without going into spoilers,it was a nice
finish to Moffatt`s tenure.I did predict the soldier`s
pay off as soon as he mentioned children!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 December 2017 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Very poignant in places, especially when dealing with loss and moving on.

I don't have a father or stepfather, both are deceased. I think about the conversations we could be having on all sorts of subjects (my stepfather liked STAR WARS, I wonder what he'd make of the modern films). And yet despite me missing them, particularly at Xmas, I accept death and losing people is part of life. All the more reason to cherish every moment.

So on that level, the Xmas special appealed to me. It was low-key in many ways, more character-driven that some episodes of the modern era.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 4:47am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The regeneration scene was mercifully brief compared to Matt Smith's which seemed to drag on forever ("Just GO already, will you!"). The direction was spot on - I enjoyed seeing the TARDIS console room through the new Doctor's eyes, and the ring dropping from her finger was a nice nod to the first Doctor's ring no longer fitting the second. It would be foolish to try to judge the new Doctor from barely a minute of screen time but, I must confess, that "Awww, brilliant!" gave me a buzz of excitement that I haven't felt about 21st century Who since Eccleston left.

The Doctor is dead, long live the Doctor.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The one thing I will say about some modern regenerations is that they've become long, drawn-out affairs where various incarnations of the Doctor have been able to "put their affairs in order" before "dying". 

Seemed more instant years ago.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I was very disappointed.

What little “plot” there was, was so contrived...

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Robbie Parry wrote:

The one thing I will say about some modern regenerations is that they've become long, drawn-out affairs where various incarnations of the Doctor have been able to "put their affairs in order" before "dying".

Seemed more instant years ago.
---------------------------------------------------------

True dat. Even "Logopolis", which is intentionally crafted to be a suitably epic end to Tom Baker's seven year tenure, shows his death and regeneration in only a couple of minutes - and ok, it allows him to have flashbacks to former companions and foes, but it's not the same as showing him actually travelling through time and space to personally say goodbye to them all!

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yeah, the 'overindulgence' of the last two showrunners was often at its worse in the regeneration scenes.
I haven't seen this year's entire episode, but I did see a clip of the regeneration scene late last evening. As acted, it's fitting farewell for Capaldi. As written, it felt typical of what we've seen from previous 'farewells'. I even felt that the new Doctor's reaction was too 'typically Moffat', which, from what I understand, won't be so 'in character' next series.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I really enjoyed this episode. As the last episode of Moffat's run, I was concerned it would try to tie everything together with a trying too hard to be clever plot (I was pleasantly surprised that neither River Song nor Clara were behind the Testimony given its thematic connections to both), but it avoided all that in favor of a more character-centric story.

Bill had me wishing that she were around for another season. Clara's "goodbye" was simple and underplayed.

The only issues I had were the jokes with the First Doctor's chauvinism. They were funny in a "this character has been around since the 60s" meta sort of way, but with a race that swaps genders, it makes no sense to highlight that.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Having just watched the whole thing, I'll say that I was disappointed in 'Bradley as the First Doctor', as opposed to 'Bradley as Hartnell as the First Doctor'. I would have preferred less of the 'chauvinist/sexist' jokes, and more 'stammering'.
Capaldi's performance was brilliant as always...and, sure, NOW they write Clara in a non-annoying fashion...

As for the new Doctor...on both viewings, I heard, "Aw, Berlin."

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 26 December 2017 at 8:39pm

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I had just watched the BLACK MIRROR ep with the actor that’s the new
Doctor...erm...it felt...a bit awkward...

Edited by Flavio Sapha on 26 December 2017 at 8:36pm

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2017 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Generally, I liked it. "I'm not sure what to do if it's not an evil plan," the brief return of Clara (I'm the token fan on this board :-) ), etc., etc. Good way to wrap up this period of the show.

Not to say there weren't some annoying bits:

* "Sexist First Doctor"

* The speech at the end got to be a bit long. My initial reaction was that they should have just done the regeneration after "one more lifetime won't kill anyone", but on a second viewing the speech grew on me. Still could've lived without the section on the name, though. (Opinion held through the third viewing.) But with an actor and showrunner saying good bye at the same time, not too surprising.

* Three regenerations in a row with a crashing TARDIS? (And I was kind of hoping a new set of lives meant that the notion of the destructive power of regeneration energy would go away.)

And some "not the episode's fault" annoying bits:

* The Series 10 finale seemed to just leave Nardole and the colonists hanging. I would have liked a quick rescue trip in the TARDIS to get them out of there.

* I wish they'd stop announcing new Doctors. I don't understand the value in doing it ahead of time given the time between the regeneration and the following season and the pre-announcement makes the first appearance kind of anticlimactic. Maybe let the rumor mill knock it down to a handful of nominees and let the show be the reveal? Then in the months between you can do the standard press. (A man can dream, can't he?)

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2017 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

'Sexist First Doctor' was ridiculous.

I understand Capaldi wrote most or all of the speech himself. It still sounded kind of 'Moffaty'.

I'm done with the 'predictable' regeneration, and its associated 'crash landing. I described the regenerative process to a friend as 'Make a speech. Stand like a scarecrow. All this lemonade-looking 'energy flow' goes everywhere. The 'new one' acts a bit goofy. The TARDIS starts to crash. See you next series.'

Last we saw of Nardole, it appeared he and the others were OK. That sounded like a good way to leave it.

Every Doctor's replacement has been announced well in advance. Most TV shows handle major cast changes the same way. Should 'Doctor Who' be an exception? I think it adds something knowing the new actor will pop up at the very end. (However, I can see where the climax of Troughton's last story, 'The War Games', would have been effective because the next Doctor's identity had not yet been decided when it aired; Jon Pertwee's hiring was announced ten days later).

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2017 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Re: Nardole - as I remember it, they were left on one level and, while the Doctor delayed the process a bit at great personal cost, it was understood that it was only a matter of time before the Cybermen on the bottom floor rebuilt and attacked again. (After I posted, it occurred to me that Nardole could've tossed out an "everything worked out" line in the Special.)

Re: replacements - most TV shows don't replace the lead character every few years... :-) That aside, from what I recall (cue hoards of examples proving me wrong), departures may be announced before the end of a particular season, but news of upcoming arrivals (or even promotions to main cast) tend to be saved for between seasons.

With Doctor Who (since the reboot), there's been a tendency to have several months between the regeneration scene and the new lead's first real episode. So why not take advantage of that and have the reveal of the new person be in an actual episode rather than a press release, teaser ad, or special? It's not like you need to know who the new person is to promote the regeneration episode. We're watching it to say goodbye to the current Doctor and get our first peek at the next - not knowing what the new face will be (though we'd have ideas) only adds to that.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2017 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Well, as much as we like Doctor Who to be more than a TV show, it is that...and, therefore, it makes cast change announcements much like every other TV show does.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2017 at 10:40pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I wish they'd give us a regeneration that takes place outside the TARDIS.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2018 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

With Doctor Who (since the reboot), there's been a tendency to have several months between the regeneration scene and the new lead's first real episode. So why not take advantage of that and have the reveal of the new person be in an actual episode rather than a press release, teaser ad, or special? It's not like you need to know who the new person is to promote the regeneration episode. We're watching it to say goodbye to the current Doctor and get our first peek at the next - not knowing what the new face will be (though we'd have ideas) only adds to that.

When Ecclestone's Doctor regenerated, whilst I knew Davis Tennant was to replace him, I knew nothing of the actor and there as none of the media hoopla we have now when a new Doctor is announced. Indeed, I had no idea that he was even going to appear in Ecclestone's last episode and was genuinely surprised and excited when this happened. I suspect I wasn't alone and it's just a shame that the producers can't recreate this each time the role is recast in the way you describe.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2018 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Thought the Xmas special was enjoyable but ponderous. Think they could have covered the same narrative in 30 minutes and there would still have been flab.  

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2018 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Disliked it. The show truly seems to have disappeared up its own backside. What little story, plotting and pacing there was took a backseat to the show's obsession of being in awe of itself, with a healthy side-helping of 'hilariously' mocking the first Doctor.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2018 at 5:15pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

It's what Moffat did 'best'.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2018 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

It wasn't mocking the first Doctor.  It was mocking the fans.  Every 'sexist' thing the first Doctor said in the special was something he said on the show, in canon (such as Who canon is).  I took it as Moffatt taking a jab at all the online complaints about the show being too PC.  Sort of a combination of "okay, you want us to go back to this then?" and "the fact that this dialogue bothers you means you're PC too."  

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2018 at 5:52am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

So when the first Doctor is unfamiliar with things like a browser, it's Moffat not mocking the first Doctor?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2018 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

So when the first Doctor is unfamiliar with things like a browser, it's Moffat not mocking the first Doctor?

----

There are many arguments that can be made for the First Doctor being mocked, but that joke was just a typical one about not wanting our Internet habits scrutinized and was more directed at the Twelfth Doctor, not the first one.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2018 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

That the joke involved the twelfth is true, but the set-up for that joke required the first to seem less technologically knowledgeable than a 21st-century companion.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2018 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

That the joke involved the twelfth is true, but the set-up for that joke required the first to seem less technologically knowledgeable than a 21st-century companion.
-------------------------------------------------
But you're looking at this from a human, not a Time Lord perspective.  Web browsers came into existence in the 1990's, and for all we know, will cease to exist by 2050.  So its a little piece of technology from a short period of time on one particular planet.  And its not technology that would look particularly impressive to a Gallifreyan at that.  The 12th Doctor speaks in those terms because he's spent his whole existence hanging out with 21st century humans.  And that's how I took that series of interactions, that the first Doctor was somewhat disgusted by all of these little affectations that the 12th had picked up from 21st century Earth, like the guitar, wearing sunglasses indoors, a web browser, etc.  But the first Doctor didn't spend any time with 21st century humans, so 'web browser' technology means nothing in particular to him.  I imagine he also doesn't know what an 8-track tape is.  Why would he?  Its not so great technology used only by humans and only for a tiny period of time in the galactic scope of things. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 January 2018 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

But you're looking at this from a human, not a Time Lord perspective. Web browsers came into existence in the 1990's, and for all we know, will cease to exist by 2050. So its a little piece of technology from a short period of time on one particular planet. And its not technology that would look particularly impressive to a Gallifreyan at that.

••

You're writing the episode.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version