Posted: 02 January 2018 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Here's the article on this subject:

LINK.

Wow.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2018 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I have a Cineworld card (perhaps not for much longer) so I go to the cinema regularly, but not as much as I used to. Let me offer my perspective on why I don't visit.

I'm beyond bored with mobile phone shite. People making calls, people receiving calls, the sound of a keypad whilst people are texting, etc. It seems people cannot resist doing that whilst watching films. Nothing worse than a thoughtful, quiet scene being ruined by that shitty Crazy Frog ringtone. 

We are also living in the era where there are more extended cuts than there have ever been (I hope that's accurate, it feels like it). I chose not to see ALIEN COVENANT at the cinema because I believe the director's preferred vision would arrive on Blu-ray. So I bought the Blu-ray instead.

Plus, the time between a theatrical release and a Blu-ray release is shorter nowadays. The likes of THE MUMMY, ALIEN COVENANT and POWER RANGERS showed up on Blu-ray pretty quickly. I felt like I waited an eternity for releases years ago. That 1989 BATMAN film, which I somehow missed at the cinema, sure took a long time to arrive on VHS. So nowadays, I'm a bit casual in attitude about the likes of THE MUMMY or POWER RANGERS as I know that if I miss them, well they'll be on Blu-ray in a short amount of time.

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2018 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I realised recently that I no longer have any desire to see a movie at the cinema for many of the reasons Robbie gave above.The last movie I went to (Wonder Woman), I almost walked out before the film started because the advertisements were so loud I feared they might do actual damage to my hearing. I get why they turn up the volume on television advertisements because the viewer might have popped out to the kitchen to make a cuppa, but in the cinema you're a captive audience so why the increased volume there? I'm happy to wait for the DVD/BluRay and save myself all the discomfort.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Glenn Brenner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2018 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Things like Kodi must be putting a dent in ticket sales as well. A lot of people are more than happy to stay home and watch a crappy bootleg of a movie they weren't sure of instead dropping $20 at a theater. 

I only to the Alamo Drafthouse and refuse to go anywhere else. If I can't see it there, then I'll wait to rent it on Amazon or buy the blu-ray for an extended cut. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2018 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think there's something to be said for the level of focus watching in the cinema enforces on you, though the comments about the brevity of the span between a film debuting in theatres and its release for home viewing are certainly true.

I remain sceptical that anyone has the Crazy Frog ringtone on their phone in 2018 :)

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2018 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Robbie Parry wrote:
...That 1989 BATMAN film, which I somehow missed at the cinema, sure took a long time to arrive on VHS...

Interesting you mention that about BATMAN (1989)...

I can't say how long it took for the UK, but that movie, in particular, came out on VHS more quickly than VHS films usually had in those days. I recall being excited that it would be released to the home video market before Christmas, 1989. Back in those days, most movies took a year or so to reach the home video market, and then only at a retail that video rental stores would pay. BATMAN (1989) was not only released quickly by the standards of the time, but was priced to sell to the general public.

I remember this well, as I was surprised and delighted that Warner Brothers was releasing it within just a few months of the theatrical run. I think it was the success of that movie and the home video sales that encouraged studios to shorten the time between theatrical and home video release.

Does anyone else remember anything about that, or have any info regarding it?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2018 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Found a video on YouTube that backs up my memory about the BATMAN VHS (U.S.) release:

LINK.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 January 2018 at 12:57am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Every type of traditional media is going through this change, it's just movies are seeing it at a slower pace.  Television has seen eroding viewership for at least a decade, with the exception being live sporting events and even that is seeing declines in viewership over the past couple of years.  I want to qualify that: declines in viewership via traditional platforms.  All of these articles, be it on television or film, judge viewership based on outdated models.  Not their fault as that's been the benchmark for decades (although it's basic clickbait to not put it in the proper context), but people get their fix from a multitude of ways today.  For sports, more people are ditching traditional cable packages to watch on line through any of a number of outlets, so naturally the numbers for a traditional FOX broadcast are down (but are still numbers that any network would drool over).  Ditto movies.  People aren't going to the theatre, but are finding ways to legally watch content without ponying up the cash to sit in a theatre.  Ditto television, what with Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, CBS All Access, etc. where they don't report numbers of viewers.  

I honestly don't think people are watching less, it's that they're watching less using traditional mainstream outlets.  Those outlets don't track numbers as easily as a weekly box-office report or Nielsen used to do and it's basically created a wild west with regard to reporting that should always be taken with a grain of salt.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2018 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I"ve seen fewer movies this year but it's mostly due to my being lazy. I'm generally fine with the moviegoing experience, I go to uncrowded matinees as much as possible to avoid most nonsense.

I will say watching 'Star Wars' a couple weeks ago it felt like there was a trailer for every movie coming out next year before the movie ever got started.

-----

Matt, I also remember the hoopla around Batman coming out earlier than other movies did on sell-through VHS.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2018 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Why would I go to the theater when I have a 65-inch 4K TV at home with a 7.1 Surround system in my mancave at home?

Speaking of which, I bought an UHD 4K Blu-Ray player for $100 while holiday shopping, but haven't opened it yet because I was shocked to find that neither Netflix or Redbox have UHD rentals yet. I'm mainly looking to rent, not own, and 4K streaming just isn't going to be able to match the bitrate. What are my options? If none, I'll just return it.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 03 January 2018 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Last movie I saw in the theater was WONDER WOMAN. Before that, ZOOTOPIA. Before that. . .   not sure, it's been so long.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2018 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Ironically, the next movie that I would want to see in a theater, Scorsese/DeNiro/Pacino/Pesci/Keitel's THE IRISHMAN, is going straight to Netflix.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2018 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I also can't watch films that are too long. I like to see all of a film (no toilet breaks for me!). I tell ya, when I went to see THE LAST JEDI (150+ minutes), well I should have worn a catheter! Next time I might. 

At least at home, I can press the pause button.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2018 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Interesting you mention that about BATMAN (1989)...

I can't say how long it took for the UK, but that movie, in particular, came out on VHS more quickly than VHS films usually had in those days.

That was my recollection in the UK too. Up until then the only way you could buy a recent film release on video was ex-rental, but BATMAN IIRC came out both to buy and rent at the same time.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2018 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I actually bought my Batman VHS from the local video
rental store on day of release for the cheap retail
price.

I avoid the cinema for the reasons stated,i have
recently discovered(Via a Walkers Crisps promo)
Rakuten tv,which streams films cheaper than Sky in the
U.K. 4.49 for HD,3.39 SD plus slightly older films
can be 2.49 they have the same latest releases as
Sky.So for 4.49 me and the missus can watch a film in
comfort,with decent sound and vision and pause for
toilet breaks.Recently using the promo,i have watched
Dunkirk,War For The Planet Of The Apes,Baby
Driver,Atomic Blonde,The Hateful 8,Guardians and
Beware Of Mr Baker for nothing.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2018 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

That was my recollection in the UK too. Up until then the only way you could buy a recent film release on video was ex-rental, but BATMAN IIRC came out both to buy and rent at the same time
------------------------------
If memory serves, the sell-through market in the UK kicked off with Rain Man, which retailed at around 15. Batman would have been a big release relatively hot on the heels of this.

Edited by Peter Martin on 04 January 2018 at 1:07pm

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2018 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

RE: having to take a bathroom break

RunPee is a great phone app that tells you the best times to go to the bathroom (and/or refill your popcorn). It gives you the time to take the break, how long you have, and a synopsis of what happens during that time. 

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2018 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

RunPee
Good idea for an app.  The need doesn't arise often, but even once a year that could be helpful.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2018 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Surely a phone app will encourage phone use during the
film? I know the idea is to check it before the film
but...people!

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2018 at 11:58pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Even better, Bill, it can be set to notify you when the moment arrives (by activating a time at the film's start). I've never been able to make the thing work, but apparently it buzzes, although I wouldn't be surprised if some millenian-heavy screenings feature unsynchronized alarms audibly chirping across the auditoriums.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2018 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Sounds hellish! Why can`t people just regulate their
fluid intake before/during the film? It`s a 2 or 3 hour
movie not a trek across the Sahara!

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2018 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

We're really becoming a resilient, self sufficient species, aren't we, Bill?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2018 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Yes Don,the majority can`t leave the house without
clutching bottled water!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 05 January 2018 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Bottled water is COOL! And also costs 10,000 times as much as tap water. So it must be good, right?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2018 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

That phone app, if used irresponsibly by others,  is yet another reason to avoid going to the theater!

I hate to say, but I've even had friends who check messages on their phone during a movie. I'd be sitting beside them, paying attention to what is onscreen,  and all of the sudden a bright light would appear in the corner of my eye. Sigh.

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version