Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 4
Topic: "Spock’s Brain" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2018 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The more I look at Season 1, the more I come back to episodes like "The Corbomite Maneuver" and "Balance of Terror" and also the first three aired episodes as the best candidates for an introduction to a new viewer. Many other great episodes from that first season don't really fulfill the "is everybody episode like that?" proviso.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 11 January 2018 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A quick (and generous) count gives me 12 episodes in the first season in which the crew boldly went into uncharted territory. That's actually a higher score than I might have expected!

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2018 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

As for that 'Wonder Years' episode..at least they didn't have Fred Savage do an exaggerated 'IMPRESSIONOF...William...SHATNER!'

Charles Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 12:13am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Hey JB, I agree that "Devil in the Dark" appeared to be a monster of the week kind of deal, but the twist of the balls being eggs makes that story the embodiment of what I think of as Star Trek. 
I also think of "Conscience of the King" as a good first exposure. I humbly wait to be told why I'm not quite right ;)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Hey JB, I agree that "Devil in the Dark" appeared to be a monster of the week kind of deal, but the twist of the balls being eggs makes that story the embodiment of what I think of as Star Trek.

I also think of "Conscience of the King" as a good first exposure. I humbly wait to be told why I'm not quite right ;)

In order to get what's "right", one must step away from a lifetime of STAR TREK. One must ask "Which episode contains the most typical examples of the kinds of stories TOS tells. Monster-of-the-Week? No, they tended to steer away from those. (Which is why many consider "The Man Trap" -- one of my favorites -- a poor episode with which to start.)

"The Conscience of the King"? Is TOS typically mystery/revenge stories?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

As I've noted, TREK stories tend to fall into one of several camps, or some combination of them: shipboard drama shows, space battle/space phenomenon shows, and planet shows.

Few episodes contain a good balance of all three of those elements, and so it's hard to pick just one show and say "this is a typical episode". Indeed, the very nature of STAR TREK being such a broad storytelling platform makes pinning down a "typical" episode pretty tough. Time-travel one week, Greek gods the next, alien parasites the next week after that, etc. The show is essentially a TWILIGHT ZONE-esque anthology which happens to have the same main characters from episode to episode. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Again, I go back to Roddenberry's pitch: WAGON TRAIN to the stars. Unlike GUNSMOKE, where Matt Dillon sits in Dodge and the story comes to him, WAGON TRAIN went to the story -- and so did TOS. Throw in a guest star to play a prominent part, and there's the gist of it.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I also think of "Conscience of the King" as a good first exposure. 

I'd have to disagree strenuously with that, Charles.

It's not a personal favourite, anyway, but, my bias aside, I don't think it represents what the series is about strongly enough to a "rookie".

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Again, I go back to Roddenberry's pitch: WAGON TRAIN to the stars. Unlike GUNSMOKE, where Matt Dillon sits in Dodge and the story comes to him, WAGON TRAIN went to the story -- and so did TOS. Throw in a guest star to play a prominent part, and there's the gist of it.
++++++++

Exactly. The specifics varied wildly, but the basic premise and the cast remained the same. 

These are the voyages...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"... (Which is why many consider "The Man Trap" -- one of my favorites -- a poor episode with which to start.)"

I cannot argue with that logic.
Although I was hooked on "The Man Trap", in all likelihood it was probably the first episode I saw in color that made it so memorable.

And anyway you probably shouldn't make your first episode one that contradicts ,"... where no man has gone before"

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version