Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 2
Topic: What To Call Movies/Films Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Well, a "Letters Page" is usually a page filled with letters (the A through Z kind), is it not?

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

(And I suppose some may argue that a message, delivered electronically via the internet, is a "letter" in a certain sense).

Historians of the Future are likely to disagree!

Back to Top profile | search

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"I still see the term "home video" used to describe DVD releases. I believe the WWF was still referred to as WWF/WWE Home Video even when DVDs rose in popularity."

That's correct though, DVD is still a form of video.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I see flicks, while my wife goes to shows.  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I thought "film" was the common term in British English whereas "movie" was the American one.

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Interesting topic. It's really making me think of how I speak and write, without realizing it. I don't think I've ever really given it a thought before now, but now that I read this I realize that I use the words movie and film interchangeably, I just never thought of a difference between the words.

It's often the same with "book" and "novel.". Even though in many cases there is a clear difference, if you're talking about a fictional story vs. a tech manual or something relating facts. I'll say that I just read a fascinating book about Mattle's creation of the He-Man franchise, and that Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy is my favorite novel. But I'm also just as likely to refer Hitchhiker's as my favorite book.

And I'm mostly digital nowadays, and I'd say I have over 100 ebooks on my Kindle, although technically I guess most should be called...enovels?

Graphic novels is not a phrase that's ever really entered my lexicon. I just say comic books or comics (although I also use the latter to refer to comic strips).

And on that note, I don't think I've ever referred to someone who tells jokes as a comic, I always say comedian.

My first adult job was working in a video rental store, I worked there for several years, so I'm still used to saying video, like I can't wait until Black Panther comes out on video, so I can watch it again, and often have to specifically remember to say DVD. Or I'd say I can't wait until Black Panther comes out on cable, even though I have satellite TV now, and I have to remind myself of that too.

I'm also used to saying cell phone instead of smart phone (I don't think I've ever used the phrase mobile phone).

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Jabari Lamar wrote:
My first adult job was working in a video rental store, I worked there for several years, so I'm still used to saying video, like I can't wait until Black Panther comes out on video, so I can watch it again, and often have to specifically remember to say DVD.

It's still part of the lexicon. I notice some WWE DVDs still use the phrase "WWE Home Video". Some studios refer to "home video", too.

And direct-to-video is still a term even though it really should be direct-to-DVD.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

'Mobile Phone' that's SO British!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version