Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Conference Championships are Sunday, January 21st! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2018 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm also over Pats fans would think they're the greatest franchise ever...
You can't really compare teams of different eras, but I think any of the 49ers (with Montana at QB, definitely; Young *maybe*) or 70's Steelers championship teams would defeat them easily. And guess what? I hate d those teams, too!
Yeah, I like to think most Boston fans are pretty decent folk but there are some loud-mouthed NE fans these days unfortunately.  My own take is that the 8 Superbowl trips since 2002 put the Pats on the short list over that span but their history before Belichick and Brady (my entire childhood) was mostly misery so they're hardly the top overall franchise in history.  Dallas and Green Bay both have superior records (Green Bay has hundreds more wins).  Even the Bears and Dolphins, despite being presently weaker, have better overall percentages.   I'd also agree that those amazingly dominant Steelers teams of the 70s would likely give the Pats all they could handle and might win. 

Really though, all such discussions are futile and unresolvable.  I'm just happy to be rooting for a competitive franchise and hope they can stay relevant as Brady starts to slow down and father time inevitably catches him. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2018 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Calls I disagree with: The PI right before the half was a horrible call
Bouye made tons of contact with Cook way beyond the 5 yard halo (about 30 yards downfield!) and pushed him out of bounds nearly a second before the ball arrived?  Pass Interference.

----
The defender had position. That's what caused the contact. And the ball never arrived. The pass wasn't close.

The holding on the fleaflicker by the Pats was obvious but ignored.
There is holding on almost any play when the QB stands there for more than two seconds, including plenty of times when Bortles stood in the pocket with time, but I don't see anything that rises above the usual on that play.  What I notice there is that the Pats had seven men guarding a scant four pass rushers, which far from cheating is just good play design.

--------
When you have ahold of someone's jersey, it should be called. It certainly gets called against other teams.

After the fumble recover, why was the whistle blown?  Should have been a return.
I'm not sure what you mean.  There was one play where the refs stopped the clock when there should have been a run-off, is that what you mean?  If so, I agree.  But it wasn't the difference in the game and mistakes are made in every game. 

-------
The turnover. When the ball was recovered the player wasn't touched. He even gets up to start a runback.

the main reason everyone calls the Pats and Brady cheaters is...everyone knows they cheat!
So you're saying the Pats somehow bought off the refs in some massive conspiracy?  Riiiiiiight.  I say the Jags committed a bunch of obvious pass interference penalties which were called and it cost them the win.  It was a good, close game but Brady delivered at the end and Bortles didn't.  The End.

-----------

They've been caught cheating. But that has nothing to do with the officiating. There are 3 problems that I see:

1--the rules are stupid and arbitrary.
2--the officials are horrible
3--the officials are obviously biased

Compare to Baseball. When the Indians, a team I love, lost the Series, I never even thought about bad calls. They lost a close contest to a great team.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2018 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I disagree with all of your examples.  The first two weren't even particularly close to me.  The third (the fumble) was a bang bang play where it's tough to see when the ball was exchanged but to my eyes they were still tangled up when it happened (or at the very least the Pats receiver's leg brushes the Jags player).  Regardless, once the whistle blows the play is dead.  It was even arguable that the Patriots player's knee was down (note that under review the ref only said the play "stands as called," not that it was confirmed as correct, which only means there was no conclusive angle to overturn the initial fumble call but not that the refs felt sure about it after looking at the play for a couple minutes.)  I do think it was a fumble, but the whole play definitely wasn't as clear cut as you seem to suggest.

As far as the rules being stupid and arbitrary, they're the same rules everyone plays under so there's no advantage for a particular team.   I certainly don't think the officials were biased.  They're paid too well ($173K in 2013 for six months' work) to risk losing their job by making biased calls.  As I recall, you complained about the officiating in the Pats' amazing comeback win after being down 28-3 to Atlanta last year so I don't see either of us changing the others' mind.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 11:20pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

After the fumble recover, why was the whistle blown?  Should have been a return.

---

Down by contact.  The fumble call was good, the whistle blow was also good (I didn't think so at first).

Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version