Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7
Topic: "How could you like/hate that costume?" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2018 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Yeah.  See, I was trying to save the original line design of the classic Robin outfit while trying to see if just coloring his legs as leggings would please everyone.  The costume actually is great, but bare legs seems a little vulnerable.  (But people don't have trouble with a 15 year-old fighting armed criminals!)  Burt Ward on TV made it work--but he was actually wearing flesh-colored leggings!  But colors are often tweaked after the hero's first appearance/s--see the Hulk, Iron Man, etc.  I just saw that the original Sandman's suit was originally colored orange!  But soon it was changed to green and everything fell into place.

Alex Ross' design looks great, but extending the chainmail(?) shorts and his short sleeves does change the original line design too much.

Light green might work, without changing anything else.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2018 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Burt Ward on TV made it work
-------------------
For me, the joint greatest live-action superhero costume yet, alongside Christopher Reeve's Superman.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2018 at 9:09pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I never had a problem with Robin's original costume, although as with the removal of the trunks from Batman and Superman, I've gotten used to the leggings. Unlike the removal of said trunks, I do prefer the leggings to the original trunks-only Robin and it seems like an upgrade to his costume rather than just something done because of the whole "underwear on the outside" malarkey.

Not completely enamored with that Alex Ross Robin costume re-design but I don't hate it either. Hard to hate something that is drawn that well. With that expression on his face though, he comes off as the Mirror Universe Evil Robin. Although that was the case with the way Ross painted a lot of his DC characters. They look terrifying.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 25 January 2018 at 9:11pm

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2018 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The first character who came to my mind was Green Arrow by Neal Adams. I know not everyone likes the beard, but the costume would still work without it.
I also like JB's FF uniforms, Wolverine's brown suit, Superman and Batman without trunks (but I don't think their costumes need much tinkering) and Spider-Man's black suit (before they started coloring it blue).
Am I the only one who liked Wonder Man's red jacket?
By the way, except for GA, these were not the versions I saw first.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2018 at 12:28am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Am I the only one who liked Wonder Man's red jacket?

++++++++++++++++
You mean the red sunglasses and safari jacket look? That's my second favorite Wonder Man outfit, after the one he had in WCA #1.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2018 at 12:57am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I liked that look a lot. Very character-specific and not at all what anyone else was wearing. Who else wore a turtleneck? The Phantom Stranger and not too many others... Plus, from a visual standpoint, it made for a nice match with his friend, the Beast. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version