Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: "How could you like/hate that costume?" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2018 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

From a discussion of Superman and Action Comics #1000 and associated discussions... it amuses the heck out of me to see, "How can they do this to Superman?", "I hate this about Batman's look!", "I love this about Batman's look!", "Why are the changing this costume?", "Why AREN'T they changing this costume?"

From what I've gleaned, most everybody thinks that the best costume is the one that was extant when they started reading. It's not always the case; Superman really was decked out like a glorified circus acrobat, Captain America had the triangular shield (one issue...), Wonder Woman was in a skirt, and Alan Scott Green Lantern - oh boy!

But it's interesting to see, for example, what design of Superman is favorite. "I loved Shuster's!" "Mr. Byrne's is the best!" "Jim Lee did it best!' From that original circus outfit to the one I find classic (Boring or Swan) to Mr. Byrne's (practically the same) to a high collar, no red "gym shorts", extra long sleeves, and actually armor - we all seem to favor the one when we began.

I wonder who's looked at a different era's and preferred it? Have y'all a different favorite? 

Mr. Byrne, I would appreciate your input - and as a creator, your loving detail to costumes appropriate to different eras is delightful (e.g., the original X-Men to their graduate outfits), and I have strong belief that if you don't like any specific costume... you just don't use it.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2018 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I just want all comments about  "Superman wears his red underpants on the outside" to die.

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2018 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

One that really stands out to me is Walt Simonson's run on Thor. I went years reading Thor with the original costume. But Simonson's variations (and art style) on Thor really stunned me. They felt really appropriate for the character to me. I was not satisfied with any other artist doing Thor after that.   
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2018 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

What Brian said.

Those long-running snide remarks about the "underpants" are probably what lead DC to brand the outfit as "uncool" or whatever, which is why the trunks went away. So we have multiple redesigns of one of the most iconic superhero costumes ever, and none of them work. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2018 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I always liked the black-and-white Spider-Man costume. Still do. I just didn't like the idea of it replacing the traditional Spider-Man costume. 

(Don't get me started on Venom...)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2018 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

LLLLLOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEEEEE the black Spider-Man costume. Even like the original color scheme for it. 

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2018 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Some changes work just fine for me.

There are alterations that occur which refine a superhero's attire. The changes
to Superman's original boots and shield fit into this category. Perhaps the
spreading of the green to the shoulders of Hal Jordan's uniform, while not
quite the same, does as well. The style and color change of the Submariner's
trunks is another example.

There can also be bigger changes that still make sense. Here I'm thinking of
things like Iron Man's transition from big armor to a more streamlined suit. (I
sometimes think the original grey color should have been kept, but
superheroes are usually colorful, sooo...) Hawkeye's new dud's fit with his
change from "villain" to hero.

I'm not sure where the "ties" JB draws on the original Captain Marvel's cape
fall since I don't think anyone else drew them, but I like those too.

Trunkless and armored Batman and Superman though? Neither of those feels
right to me.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2018 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"I wonder who's looked at a different era's and preferred it?"

My intro to the X-Men was GS X-Men #1 so Cyclops' uniform, a la cavalier boots and large visor, was how I knew him. Some time down the road I saw his original duds and much preferred them.

I'm sure there's more I'll think of...

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2018 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I loved discovering SUPERMAN during the Curt Swan era and I loved that costume and drew it a lot as a kid, but I always disliked his wrists/cuffs.  It just looked like something was missing, and I tried adding gloves, wristbands, etc.--but nothing worked!  Perhaps I would like Jim Lee's or the movie version's little lines there better...if they didn't insist on other stupid tweaks.

My other favorite since childhood was Captain America, and I love that costume immensely.  However, it was a little unclear what was happening with those little "waves" on Cap's chest.  I did like it when people started drawing those in more detail, really showing that it was some sort of chainmail.  But then people went TOO far, drawing them like Red Sonja's coins, sticking out from the smooth line of his form--it almost looked like feathers sometimes!  I also liked Bryan Hitch's version over in the ULTIMATE line, but he insisted on leaving off the head wings; somehow, that always made Cap look bald.

The Atom also always looked "bald" to me too when I first encountered him (and for many years after that).  When Gil Kane redesigned him for THE SWORD OF THE ATOM--simply by adding some battle accessories and opening up the top of his mask--I thought that was brilliant.  That should have gone on for much longer than it did.

I started IRON MAN when he had those circles around his shoulders and, while I sort of liked them (even though I found them almost impossible to draw right), I really love the movie version without them.  That's what live action should do--translate a drawn design to reality, using real-life materials and real-life body contours, etc.  (Same thing with the movie Ant-Man.)

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2018 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I prefer the classic look for Superman myself. In fact I prefer the classic look on all the classic heroes. I don't find them old or passé or clichéd. they are classic after all. To me it represents when heroes fought for moral reasons. They did the right thing because it was the right thing to do.

Subtle changes can sometimes improve a look, but not complete redos. A slow evolution is ok, but any revolution is too much. Doing it as a marketing gimmick is the worse reason ever.

I think the one time a complete redo worked was when Daredevil went all red. That made sense.

Many, many....and one more... many times, I've felt newer modern heroes have costumes that are just too busy or complex.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2018 at 2:12am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As much as i liked Captain Britain`s original costume,i
much prefer Alan Davis` first redesign.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2018 at 5:28am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I saw the Alan Davis redesign first, and prefer it to Captain Britain’s first
costume. That one still doesn’t feel right to me.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version