girls had typing classes, i had no idea of leaving a
space, sorry if i hurt your eyes, i will try to leave a
space in future! Bear with me though, i am old and a
creature of habit!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

We leave spaces JB. Some people, who were taught on typewriters, leave two spaces, even now. Same after a period, two spaces. Which I find weird.

•••

I was taught one space after a comma, two after a period.

(In the movie THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER, a rather important clue turns on this.)

Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Well there you go. The first time I came across this I couldn't figure out why the grammar checker was not picking it up. My colleague explained it (and I think they actually said what you wrote JB) and I was well confused.

I want to watch that movie now.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Very young children and dogs can be an extremely bad combination. Some breeds, as noted, are disposed to be violent; you cannot trust them around children.

Bringing a baby into a home with a dog can be a fraught situation regardless of breed, though. My brother was very little when our collie bit him. Once. My dad beat the living hell out of her immediately--and she never, ever put her jaws toward any of us ever again. Smart girl.

Not every family is that lucky.

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

If you have an interest in pit bulls, I can recommend two books.  One is Vicki Hearne, Bandit, Dossier of a Dangerous Dog, which I believe is an expansion of an article she wrote for the Smithsonian (where I first encountered her).  Actually, I think everything Hearne wrote (a lot about dogs, but also about animals generally and about language) is worth reading, although she's definitely opinionated, sometimes unconventionally so, and some find her philosophical musings tough going.  I don't.  The other is Jim Grant,The Lost Dogs:  Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption, which is, I think, an expansion of an article Grant wrote for Sports Illustrated.  I believe Grant wrote a sequel about five years later, but I haven't read it.  Both of these books take a favorable view of pit bulls.  I don't know of any book treatments that take a negative view (although I certainly know people who take a negative view), but perhaps someone out there does and can suggest one.  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 January 2018 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Both of these books take a favorable view of pit bulls.

••

Let's send a copy to the parents of this dead girl.

Bill Willingham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2018 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

A terrific movie I rewatch often, which reminds me of a question I've wanted to ask either you or Mike Mignola (or both of you) for some time, but keep forgetting. In Seed of Destruction, which of you chose the character named Bruttenholm (pronounced Broom), and was it inspired by the character names from List of Adrian Messenger? Thanks.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 January 2018 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Me, and yes. :)

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2018 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

"Let's send a copy to the parents of this dead girl."

If I took you comment seriously rather than as sarcasm, I might respond that had they read them earlier, they might have known better than to leave a three year old girl alone with a dog they'd known for less than a week.  

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2018 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I am in no way comparing dogs to snakes, but I don't think it warranted a topic of its own (and it does raise the issue of our relationship to animals):

I have heard of people claiming they have 'domesticated' a python. I don't think a reptile can be domesticated. I've actually read a book about the reptilian brain - fascinating! - and all that I know tells me we should be giving reptiles a wide berth.

I read one site about how careful owners have to be, e.g. thoroughly washing hands before handling snakes if previously handling furry animals (animals that snakes would gladly eat). 

I really don't think snakes should ever be in the home even if they are raised to live in the home from birth. 

I also think the bigger the animal, the worse it is. If a Jack Russell turns nasty, I would pick it up and place it in another room; and if a corn snake turned on someone, I would move that to another room, too.

But how to handle tigers or snakes? You can't. I've heard of tigers, bears and pythons turning on owners. 

There is a guy in the UK who appeared on a quiz show, THE CHASE. When asked about his hobbies, he talked about a desire to import an anaconda. I don't think UK laws would allow that, but, unfairness to the anaconda aside, why on earth would you want the world's heaviest snake in your home? Some people must have a death wish!

Edited by Robbie Parry on 26 January 2018 at 6:10pm

Michael Murphy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2018 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

There is some truth to the argument "it's the owner" but there is more to it than that. Things are rarely that simple. Even if we grant the argument that "it's the owner" pit bulls are powerful animals so their attacks, when they occur, are generally more dangerous than those of other dogs. The problem with the ""it's the owner" argument is that dogs, like people, can act in unpredictable ways and even the most well trained animal can act out for reasons it's human owner can not understand. A chihuahua may attack someone and may even be more vicious but it doesn't have the power for the attack to be dangerous. Even when being playful a powerful animal can cause unintentional harm.

Some info can be found here, here and here.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2018 at 10:14pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

When pitbulls do bite they latch on and shake and do not let go with extremely powerful jaws so they do more damage than just about any other dog. I'd personally never own a pitbull though I know some are quite gentle.

I watched an attack by two pit bulls in New York City on the guy that stole art from Joe Quesada (a few years before the theft) that was posted on some comic website. The attack was horrific and multiple people could not get the pit bulls off the man including their owner. I noticed as blood spurted everywhere as the guy tried in vain to get away the pit bulls were wagging their tails like it was just playing for them.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 26 January 2018 at 10:20pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version