Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who
Topic: Tardis Tuner (1970s) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2018 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Click on this link and scroll down until you see the TARDIS Tuner:

What a bizarre toy, eh? If I'd seen it at the time, it would not have interested me. Given the other DW merchandise out there, I think this would have been the least appealing.

It's a bit tenuous, too.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 03 February 2018 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My childhood was full of well meaning relatives sending me birthday and Xmas toys that had little or nothing to do with the characters they were supposed to be representing. Fortunately, I had sufficient imagination that I could enjoy, say, a Dan Dare walkie-talkie set whose connection to my favorite Pilot of the Future began and ended with a couple of stickers with Dan's face and name on them.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2018 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yes, there were many tenuous toys years ago. One could probably do a topic about it one day.

I seem to recall a Hulk automobile. I mean, has the Hulk ever driven a car?

Walkie-talkie sets were very popular, and it does seem almost every franchise has used them even when the link to such devices is tenuous at best.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2018 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"Superman Peanut Butter: Its strength is its great taste".(1983):

I also remember an ad in Marvel comics around the same time, for 'Fantastic 4 Bubble Gum'...a pouch of 100 pieces of gum, in 4 flavors...4, get it? The same number of 'Fantastic'...whatever...

And also in 1983 (what was in the water that year?), at Christmastime, a company called Garcia advertised fishing reels...in DC comics...using an ad that showed Spider-Man. 

The year before, DC and Marvel comics ran ads with their characters advertising a puzzle toy called the 'Magic Snake', a wannabe Rubik's Cube, without that pesky cube shape. Those two products at least didn't put comic characters on the packaging, but the tie-ins were still pretty much non-existent.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2018 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Even at the time I thought the TARDIS tuner was a bit lame. I don't think that era was a great time for Doctor Who merchandise, but then I had also hit an age where I felt that collecting toys was 'childish' and so passed on the Denys Fisher figures too (though, secretly I think my heart was yearning for them - I certainly regret it now!). I could still justify the annuals to myself as they were given to me as Christmas presents, but the art and the stories within were just awful - some people get terribly nostalgic for them but not me. I don't think I ever really enjoyed the annuals after the Troughton era ones. However, I've still got those badges that were given away free with Sugar Smacks (I've still got the Star Trek ones too), and they have held up remarkably well. I vaguely recall a couple of jigsaw puzzles which I think carried publicity photos from Day of the Daleks. I might see if I can find them next time I am on one of my expeditions to the loft.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2018 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I believe there will be audiobook versions of some of those stories from the annuals, so someone must have liked them, Andrew. ;-)

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2018 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I believe there will be audiobook versions of some of those stories from the annuals, so someone must have liked them, Andrew. ;-)

I'm sure they did, and I wouldn't deny that fact or those fans their pleasure. I myself very much enjoy the stories from the Hartnell and Troughton annuals. No coincidence, I suspect, that they are the ones that line up with my own early years. Those stories are like the Gold Key Star Trek comics, a bit off model but still great fun.

BTW, William Russell reads one of those early stories, The Lair of the Zarbi Supremo, on the special features of The Web Planet DVD.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Not DR WHO, but look at this:

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I remember seeing ads for the Tardis Tuner in the Dr. Who Weekly and wondering who the bleep would buy one of those. Now I think I wish I had one of those, they're probably worth a bit these days

I remember on a trip to the states loading up on different varieties of Superman peanut butter. It wasn't anything better or worse than any other kind though. I even kept an emptied jar for quite awhile; they had nice lids.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 3:07am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I've never been a peanut butter fan. My mom bought a jar of 'Superman' PB for me, and it tasted...like peanut butter that said 'Superman' instead of 'Jif' or 'Skippy'.
As for 'Its strength is its great taste?' Well...
'Superman Peanut Butter: Its strength is that its still not as much of a waste of money as 'Superman III'.

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 16 February 2018 at 3:07am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version