Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Solo - SPOILERS begin Pg. 4 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Looks like a fan film to me. It doesn't help that I generally consider prequels of any sort regressive and unnecessary.

Between this and how tedious I found 'The Last Jedi,' my guess is I'm done with 'Star Wars.'
Back to Top profile | search

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

this would be an interesting story if it was in book or comic book form but I'm
afraid doing it on the big screen it's going to be mostly explosions. We'll see.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Ditzel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Just watched the 'official teaser'. The actor isn't pulling off the Harrison Ford vibe. Han is Ford.

David Spurlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

To me, it looks...'meh'. Nothing really jumps out as being new or interesting and I place this in the same category as Rogue One, it may be good but I don't really see the need in telling this story.  

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 11:02pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I remember watching "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" and I could see Sean Patrick Flanery as a young Indiana Jones. Mannerisms, voice inflections and body movements and such. 

I get zero Han Solo from this guy. 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2018 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Wondering why Disney didn't hire Anthony Ingruber for this... he actually pulled off playing a young Harrison Ford (Age of Adeline) - this video is much more like how a young Solo should look and act:

I know impressions do not make you an actor, but under the right direction, the kid might've put in a worthy performance. Half the battle is convincing the audience that the actor IS Han Solo.

This guy did that.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2018 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

As much as I like the video Ingruber did with the impression, his work in Age of Adeline really pays off. Casting decisions are often made with dozens if not hundreds of variables in play, but it does look as if the makers of Solo missed a sure bet this time.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2018 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Kathleen Kennedy and Kershner were both pretty taken with Alden
Ehrenreich during casting. They earned the benefit of the doubt from
me.

That guy does a helluva impression though.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2018 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This is pretty neat Harrison Ford was a covert adviser to Solo: A
Star Wars Story

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Ford being an adviser on the film has me a little more interested in seeing it, but I'll still wait until it hits the cheap theater to see it.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2018 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I don't agree with making a Han Solo origin/prequel movie, and Alden Ehrenreich, unfortunately, just doesn't have the look or voice down, to make me truly believe that he's a young Solo (the hair comes close, anyway).

However, I do have a little more faith that Kathleen Kennedy, Ron Howard and Lawrence Kasdan (and even George Lucas!) are at least trying to steer this in the right direction.

Much like the Marvel Studios films, it's pretty much the law in our household that I'll have to bring my young son to just about every new STAR WARS film, from now until I drop dead, so I'm hoping it's not a complete waste of time.

It would be nice to be pleasantly surprised by a new STAR WARS movie, for once...

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"I know impressions do not make you an actor..."

I don't know. Look at the rack of awards Jamie Foxx got for RAY.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Is... Is that supposed to be... Lando Calrissian?!?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Patrick Mallon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Actor playing Lando is alot closer to original than actor playing Solo...

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Frankly I had no idea this was coming out...

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

There really is no trace of HAN SOLO in any of the footage I've seen. Just not... smug enough.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I've said it before: Some characters just can't be recast. Harrison Ford IS Han Solo (and Indiana Jones). No one else could ever compare. He's had 40 years to be indelibly linked with the role. It's not like a James Bond-type situation, where Connery only stuck around for a few years before the character became temporary custody of a whole bunch of other actors.

The best we could hope for is a decent impersonation that doesn't embarrass the original character too much. It seems we won't be getting even that.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

You say that based on how many seconds of a teaser trailer?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Teasers and trailers are intended so sell product. Effectively they say "Look what we have for you!" In many cases, their job is to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

In this case, the job of the teaser/trailer is to convince Warheads everywhere that THIS is a genuine HAN SOLO movie. Which it doesn't. So either we should be looking for a whole flock of Disney marketing directors to be losing their jobs, or....

Patrick Mallon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

A different actor is portraying Chewbacca and his mannerisms are spot on...

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Years ago, I saw an Italian movie starring Marcello Mastroianni and Sophia Loren. There were flashback scenes in which younger actors played the characters. These younger actors did not look like the older stars, but they did look like they could age into looking like them.

This has become the gold standard for me.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Setting aside my total lack of confidence or interest in anything Disney puts out with the STAR WARS name branded into it, as well as all of the behind-the-scenes reports and shenanigans regarding the extensive reshoots and whatnot...the trailer just doesn't give a Han Solo vibe.

I'm really just paying attention to STAR WARS just to observe and learn from the trainwreck, at this point. I personally am no longer invested in the films. Just in how they're gonna destroy the legacy of the old films, and make people stop caring.

If/when SOLO underperforms and/or outright bombs in two months, we'll see just how "misleading" the trailers actually were. As JB notes, they're designed to sell the product, and perhaps make films look better than they actually are. As it stands, a heck of a lot of people (friends, co-workers, etc.) I've talked to don't care about the movie, don't like the trailer, or didn't even know that the movie exists, until I mentioned it to them.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

We have no way of knowing how SOLO will perform at the box office. Mostly because we don't know the exact nature of the engine that drives the STAR WARS juggernaut.

But it is fascinating to me that any time a new movie comes along -- any new movie -- there will be those (even here) who will twist and rend the trailers to produce what they want to see, not what the studio is showing them.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

We have no way of knowing how SOLO will perform at the box office. Mostly because we don't know the exact nature of the engine that drives the STAR WARS juggernaut.
+++++++++++

No, of course not. But I know how I'd be willing to bet that things will go. The Amazing Kirkwell predicts failure. The energy surrounding this film is not good. The reshoots, the lack of penetrating marketing, the recent controversy over the supposedly-plagiarized poster artwork--all signs point to a negative conclusion.

To say nothing of the STAR WARS fatigue/disappointment and massive fanbase schism caused by THE LAST JEDI. People are getting sick and tired of arguing and thinking about STAR WARS, over the past three months. The merchandise rots in store. I saw Kylo Ren placemats from THE FORCE AWAKENS on clearance in a local store for $0.20, last week. Among lots of other old toys and merchandise on clearance. Like the omnipresent pegwarmner: Hasbro's Black Series Constable Zuvio.

I've abstained from all of the online arguing, over the past few months, until now. The atmosphere around the franchise has become increasingly toxic, and I just don't have the energy for it. I'm paying attention, though. And have plenty to say. I'd just rather not get into one heated argument after another. Emotional detachment is now the best course of action. STAR WARS is already over and done, for me. I'm just waiting for the body to stop twitching.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm wrong if SOLO is a massive hit, but I'll bet that--at least--the film underperforms. Insiders have previously hinted that Disney is already prepared to write the film off as a failure. If even they don't have confidence in it, well...

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 9:47pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I work in a nearly all-female workplace and everyone there is pretty jazzed to see anything Star Wars as it comes out. They just like the films. They are also overwhelmingly pro-Abrams Trek. It was fine. It did no one any harm. And wow, did the guy playing McCoy ever nail him, or what? I've long since stopped offering my observation that Urban does an excellent Dan Akroyd as McCoy rather than an actual McCoy. Everyone seems to be having a good time with the franchises right now.  That ties in with exactly no theories of genre marketing that I know of, except that if you build it, people will come.

I'm assuming this next observation applies to general audiences. rather than specifically female ones, but my boss was asking our resident film expert what the big mystery about Rey's parentage was. Didn't we already see her parents? Her father was a scientist guy... He was played by the actor who played Hannibal... 

I chimed in to clear up the confusion between Jan Erzo and Rey, but really neither of them could place where the two stories related to one another in the timeline. There was a great deal of nodding and lots of "uh-huh's," but I don't know that the point really mattered. The whole thing ended with speculation that maybe Jan was Rey's mother then...

I don't think general audiences care nearly as much about external story coherence and timelines. They want what's appearing on-screen to work logically enough that it can be followed and they want it to lead to solid emotional payoffs. 

A friend showed me one of her genre favorites from back in the day, "Warrior of the Lost World," starring Adam Ant as the bad guy, never released on DVD apparently. It was amazingly cheesy from the get-go and was earning considerable scorn from her significant other and myself, right up to the point where, I'll be damned... It actually started paying off. The wall of cars built around the settlement, the sub-plot with the little girl's mother... The film actually began striking some sparks towards the end there. 

You can never underestimate the importance of moving your audience at critical story points, and I believe you can easily over-estimate the impact of "having everything fit" inside the overall saga. Fans will bellow to the heavens and yowl like scalded cats when betrayed by a lazily-constructed saga. The audience in the theatre cares more about the interplay and bouncing plot points happening in front of them. If it all comes together in a way they love, the movie is a success. 

None of those present in my office evinced much love for the prequels, but lazy saga construction wasn't cited as the cause. The movies themselves are overly long, ponderous, and boring. They do know who this guy is supposed to be and who that one is in relation to the original films, but there's just no story to any of them that caught the interest of these people. And bad acting gets noticed big time. 

Ultimately, like Star Trek: Discovery, Solo's placement in the timeline and overall fit with the other films isn't going to be what kills it. It's going to have to be a film the audience wants to see on its own. Inviting associations with an already beloved, if not venerated, performer is a creative mis-step from the start. But if this guy can turn on the charm and the film gives us a couple of satisfying story punches, the whole thing could turn around from where it looks today...

Not that I'm optimistic, mind you, but general audiences pretty much just want a good ride on the roller coaster, fan agendas be damned.

Edited by Brian Hague on 16 March 2018 at 9:50pm

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version