Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: So, We Can’t Get Any Dumber? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I've asked for plenty of things that, in hindsight, were not the best for me. (A couple of women that I was madly in love with at the time spring to mind, and now looking back I go "Whew!") I guess I should have spelled out that sometimes the answer is "No, that wouldn't be good for you." Other times, the answer could also be "Wait." I've prayed for some things that happened in half an hour, other things took two weeks, and still other things were granted after ten years. I've learned patience.

•••

If you pray FOR anything, you are not following the teachings of Jesus. He said that God already knows what you want (how could he not?) and that your job is to suck up to God ("Oo, you are so big...") until he decides to take care of your needs.

Cuz, you know, he couldn't just DO that, egotistical prick that he is.

Back to Top profile | search

Phil Geiger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It is said that the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.The last couple years has not disproved that to me, as least as it applies to stupidity.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

To borrow from our own Paul Gibney, wouldn't it be great if stupidity HURT?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Stupidity does hurt... just  not usually the practitioner. But that'd be nice. 

I'm not ready to say that there is no God. But I'm also not willing to say that there IS a God. What I say is that there is no evidence that an omniscient, omnipresent, all loving and all protecting creator/caretaker is with us right now, just due to events in the world - from a singular stillbrith to wars of genocide in Africa. And as Mr. Byrne puts it so succinctly, the Old Trifecta.

Evidence of God, throughout human history, can be explained away by men using the concept of God for whatever purposes they require. Everything is explained in human terms, by humans, and not perfectly clear to every single human. In earlier days, people believed in pantheons, ascribing 'most everything to a number of gods. This died out, but mostly due to lack of believers. And I don't think force of arms is the way that God wants to present His path for us.

And on the other hand, I AM human. If there is a divine being, I may not be able to comprehend His plan and purpose. I might simply have to go along saying, "Well, that's how it is. God said it; I believe it; and that settles it." Some day, our descendants might understand, when All has occurred.

But I'll tell you the deciding factor for me. I don't believe that I am stupid and evil. I don't believe that there's a heavenly plan, but that I'm not capable of understanding it, or not able to pass the test of accepting it blindly. I don't believe that I am opposed to the forces of God, and thus by definition evil; I try to avoid doing anything to hurt others. As for "leading them to the path of the Lord" - that's not my job. That's the way of the Lord, and as men cannot be the Lord, nor can they dictate the Lord's intentions, and enforce the Lord's will.

No one can tell me that the word of God is plain when there are so many words of God, and no single one is patently obvious. Anyone who claims to... I wish them well, and I hope their destiny is a grand one. My path is to wander in the dark, trusting in a scientific method, rather than bask in the faith of a campfire... especially when there are so many fires out there.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

What got me (in my teens) was the whole charade about Abraham 'sacrificing' Isaac to prove his loyalty to God. Putting aside the fact that it's a sick story, shouldn't an omnipotent God have known that Abraham was loyal to him? I thought God could see inside our hearts.

There's also the passages about "ask and ye shall receive" (but you must really, really believe). I could do that. This isn't facetious, if I truly believed in the NT God, and that passage, I would, tonight, put out a non-materialistic prayer for every case of cancer to be cured. I would gain nothing material from that, it wouldn't affect me personally, but I'd be willing to do that. Sadly, it wouldn't happen.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Anybody remember the old Disney cartoon
about the ants and the grasshopper. "Oh,
the world owes me a livin' "
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Can we make this a complete stupidity
thread? I just saw something that's
killing me.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The Great Lie is that all our suffering is part of God's Plan. Suffering makes us stronger. No pain, no gain, right?

Whatta pal!

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I don't think prayer changes the mind of the Almighty. Prayer mostly seems to bring comfort to those praying. And in seeking that comfort it should also bring them more in line with reality. Many have read James 5:17 for example with the understanding that if you pray really, really, really hard then you can change the mind of God. I think that is actually an incorrect reading and it anthropomorphizes the Almighty too much. An easier reading would simply allow for God to reveal his will to Elijah through prayer. I don’t believe prayer changes the mind of God. I believe your mind is changed through prayer.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I remember singing hymns at Sunday School when i was a
kid, a lot of the lyrics were along the lines of `Please
forgive me for being an unworthy wretch`
Even as a kid, i thought to myself `I`m just a kid, a
fairly good kid too`
If god gave us the intelligence to create vaccines, why
would he not want us to use them?
Also, if Jehovah`s Witnesses must not partake of blood,
why are they not all Vegan?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Dale L.... if I may quote Mr. Jim Morrison:
"When I was back there in Seminary School, there was a person who put forth the proposition that you can petition the lord with prayer.
Petition the lord with prayer.
Petition. The lord. With prayer.

You CANNOT petition the lord with prayer!"

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Bill Collins wrote:
Also, if Jehovah`s Witnesses must not partake of blood, why are they not all Vegan?

Good point!

It is beyond bizarre that they have focused on the "abstain from blood" passage whilst ignoring so much else?

Also, isn't suicide against Christian doctrine? Isn't it akin to suicide to refuse a blood transfusion that could save your life? A strong word, I know, but if I refused a blood transfusion, and passed away, wouldn't family say that I chose to die? Wouldn't that be akin to suicide?

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version