Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: So, We Can’t Get Any Dumber? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

John Byrne: Many scientists have an unfortunate habit of using God as a metaphor. Einstein was no exception. Result, people who don't know any beterr will insist "Einstein believed in God."

Einstein's view seemed peculiar to me. He did often speak of 'God', but I think intended 'nature' when he spoke that way. He tended to believe in the orderly harmony of what exists, and ascribed that nature to God -- not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings.

For the record, this part was not peculiar. The peculiar part was when he was speaking of Jesus the person. He did not acknowledge the divinity of Jesus. He believed Jesus was a man. But Einstein nonetheless had very high praise for him.

When he was asked to what extent he was influenced by Christianity, he answered. "As a child I received instruction both in the Bible and in the Talmud. I am a Jew, but I am enthralled by the luminous figure of the Nazarene."

Edited by Dale Lerette on 13 February 2018 at 10:36am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Christmas is one of those events that we seem celebrate,
more nowadays as the season of goodwill to all men.My
Hindu, Sikh and Muslim neighbours and work colleagues
send cards and presents etc.I`m with Robbie on Easter,
just gimme the chocolate! Although it must be noted that
many eggs don`t carry the word `Easter` nowadays.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Luminous Jesus. He must be basking in the fires of Hell, which he described with such relish in Mark:

9:43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

9:44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Back to Top profile | search

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

John Byrne: Luminous Jesus. He must be basking in the fires of Hell, which he described with such relish in Mark

You lost me on this one, John. Not sure of the relevance of Mark 9:43-44 in the context of this discussion. Einstein did not believe in Hell. And I'm pretty sure you do not either.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"...the fires of Hell, which he described with such relish in Mark"

So, a warning of danger becomes gleeful "relish"?  Methinks you might be imparting some things to the text which aren't there!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"Gleeful" is your word. "Relish" means enthusiasm, and given the multiple repetitions of worms and unquenchable flame, somebody was certainly being enthusiastic about something!

This from the Prince of Peace who loves us all, no less.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 2:36am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I capitalise God so as to make it clear I'm discussing the Judeo-Christian God in a debate. It doesn't make me a believer.

----

All this, and because people get confused when you refer to Jehovah, JHVH, Yahweh, YHWH, or Adonai.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Or 'G-d'.(There are only so many vowels, which one could it be?)

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 4:16pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I remember some Marvel comic about 'G-D' in a Bizarre Adventures magazine I think. Al Milgrom was involved somehow I seem to remember.

Here's some of what I wrote in another post today that might be of use to others here, or not...

"As for religion, I'm a committed Pastafarian these days. I choose to believe on faith that the flying spaghetti monster loves all his little meatballs, and am comforted by wearing the sacred colander. Seriously; God (ineffable father spirit?) probably has nothing to do with these (bad) things (when they happen), unless it was creating something with free will in the first place. The Robin Hood type dude in the baby blankets never existed, sorry, he would've looked like Klinger in M-a-s-h, and having been addressed as Rabbi according to the oldest surviving bits, could've been married (horrors). It's nice to remember he is in the Qur-an too. He said some things a number of people felt should be remembered, and I value some of those things as still challenging."

People listening to each other is good, not everything you hear/read will be something you will like, but that isn't the same as it being not worth hearing at all. I think too that everyone should read some Hindu Upanishads. It's all for everyone, and about us, like comic books should be!

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

G--d points!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

ITEM: Rebecca, might you be thinking about "Behold the Man!" in "Unknown Worlds of Science Fiction" #6, based on a Michael Moorcock story, by Doug Moench and Alex Nino? As I recall, a time traveller makes a concerted effort to find the true origin of Jesus, and hilarity ensues.

ITEM: To some, the name of God is very sacred, and not to be used lightly; "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord in vain" applies to this, so they decide. Thus, we have G-d, YHWH, etc. In Hebrew, we use the abbreviation of two letters (yud-yud) or adoshem (literally, the name of God) instead of Adonai in "casual" conversation - literally anything less than a prayer directly to God.

ITEM: If God is everywhere, isn't He in Hell? Is this presence a further torment to damned souls? Or is it hope in a hopeless situation? Or in Christianity, is there hope for even the damned to be salvaged and saved? No sarcasm here... I'm curious what the official opinion is.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

If God is everywhere, isn't He in Hell?

Is he in my pint of beer?

I must check out that "Behold the Man!" story, Eric. Thanks for the heads-up.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version