Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7
Topic: So, We Can’t Get Any Dumber? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

ITEM: Rebecca, might you be thinking about "Behold the Man!" in "Unknown Worlds of Science Fiction" #6, based on a Michael Moorcock story, by Doug Moench and Alex Nino? As I recall, a time traveller makes a concerted effort to find the true origin of Jesus, and hilarity ensues.

•••

"Hilarity" most certainly does NOT ensue. The story is quite grim, in fact.

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Mr. Byrne, you're absolutely right. I didn't mean it literally, but I guess I should have noted that. I use the phrase whenever I'm discussing some grim or dramatic situation without wanting to give away all the details. It's a personal quirk, among so many that I have.

It is not hilarious. It is tremendously thought provoking, and pulls no punches with regards to its consideration of religion.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

No, I've never read Behold the Man, those magazines were very hard to find sometimes (though I had the first Star Lord appearance and am kicking myself I don't still have it. I'd be happy to read it though.

There was (I also don't have this anymore), a 'Gods' issue of Bizarre Adventures under a painting of Thor... #32. The 'G-D' story in it was fairly lightweight, I remember it as almost along the lines of those Editori-Al pieces in Marvel Fanfare though it may've had a serious point ala Kurt Vonnegut. The issue before, #31, (which I do still have, yay) was the 'violence' issue, and had a really well done John Byrne piece with 'God Is With Us' people coming and taking books in fact! Violence Wears Many Faces. So that could've run in either issue I suppose, but I have it right here. Why, that there could be proof of the hand of the almighty! But would a truly caring Lord have made me lose that more valuable (now 'key') Star Lord magazine? Answer: (there is always one don't you know so long as you have faith)... the stone rejected by worldly builders will be the keystone in the everlasting hereafter! So I guess Bizarre Adventures #31 will be more important in that pie in the sky time and not the hot movie Star Lord issue. Probably having #32 would keep you from entering or something, further along we'll know more about it...

Okay, I'll stop typing now.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 15 February 2018 at 12:49pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

In another universe, # 32 became the sacred text of the 'Bizarradventine' Empire.;-)

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2018 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

John Byrne - "Gleeful" is your word. "Relish" means enthusiasm, and given the multiple repetitions of worms and unquenchable flame, somebody was certainly being enthusiastic about something!

This from the Prince of Peace who loves us all, no less.

Sometimes 'relish' is perceived as something someone enjoys. I too thought you were implying Jesus was reported as enjoying that people could be going to hell. But you're just saying that Jesus was giving this dire warning with 'zeal'?

Edited by Dale Lerette on 21 February 2018 at 2:09pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2018 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I was watching BBC debate show THE BIG QUESTIONS here. A female audience member, whilst discussing evidence in religion, mentioned that she'd been to a Catholic girls' school. She said that she found it confusing because science lessons would talk about the importance of evidence and testing things whilst religious education lessons would talk about faith, being sure of things, etc.

I had the same issue as a kid. In primary school, we had a teacher talking about the world being 6,000+ years old, Adam and Eve, etc. And then we had a teacher talking about science, millions of years, cavemen, etc.

I was probably an annoying child because, and it wasn't answered, I do remember asking a teacher (I was about 6) how the story of Adam and Eve fit in with cavemen. Not sure how I articulated it at the age of 6, but I was curious. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Robbie, I have nightmares that that would have gotten you thrown into an empty cell for 24 hours - no food, no water, no toilet - while you were dictated to think what Jesus would think of your question. TPTB can't have their own stories challenged. Honestly, I'm amazed that any religious school allows ANY science classes... too contradictory, and too many topics to make children think. Thinking is the enemy of faith.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It never ceases to amaze me that so many Believers apparently think their Faith is so frail that other ideas are, to paraphrase a line from1776, too dangerous even to be talked about!

Irony galore, of course, since what Jesus was supposed to have done was talk about dangerous ideas!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I used to ask "What was G*d doing before he created the world?" No teacher seemed to want to answer it. Well, they did, but the answer was usually something like, "Let's not go down that path, Robert. Concentrate on the matter at hand."

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version