Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: DC and Marvel Characters Throughout History Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 12:09am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Matthew, re: Vance Astro, check out Defenders #26 as Eric mentioned above. I haven't read it, but it might contain the meeting you're thinking of. The MTIO issue is basically a book-length meeting of the two, but the older Vance does not take off his mask until the very end.

I find time travel in the X-Men to be similar to time travel in Star Trek. Initially, the series had little to do with the subject, but once one of the best stories used it as a central storytelling device (City; DOFP) the perception grew that time travel was intrinsically part of the franchise to the point where DOFP-style stories often dominate Marvel publishing and four of the thirteen Star Trek movies involve time travel of some sort, while two others still involve a character from a previous timeline and the ramifications of that. 

While you're right that both Truth or Death and Bendis's story deal with the teams at "actual" points in their history, making them similar, I still don't find a causal connection leading from one to the other. I don't think Bendis needed the one to come up with the other, and I believe that what he was doing is substantially different in intent, altering the direction and POV of both era's X-Men as they interacted with one another.

And yes, whatever that earlier, more innocent, era was from which the younger team emerged, I agree that it belies current Marvel time compression, however that's described these days. I did think they'd passed the ten year mark at some point. 

Eric, the "jackboots" thing was a humorously-intended hyperbolic description of the vigilance and overreactions other posters hereabouts have whenever the rules and limitations they've imposed  upon their threads are flouted. I was telling Rebecca that I didn't care if the "Marvel and DC" portion of my thread title was ignored by her response.

The only reason it's there at all was to focus the discussion upon stories we remember fondly and avoid the possible tangents into Egyptian hieroglyphs and Outcault's "Yellow Kid" that could be created by a "Comic characters throughout history" thread title.

Also, I don't think the Salakk issue above shows a lack of imagination swapping out one GL for another as Solar Director. I think it was a genuinely light-hearted attempt to revisit that plot thread and put a close to Iona's story and that of the 5711 A.D. era in general. 

That Avengers Annual #2 storyline involving the Scarlet Centurion's intrusion into the earliest days of the Marvel Age was an all-time classic. I read it as a reprint back in my childhood days and enjoyed the stuffings out of it. The follow-up in What If #29 is a fun issue as well with a nifty Michael Golden cover.

Edited by Brian Hague on 15 February 2018 at 12:09am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 3:49am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Salakk and A Lass? *GROAN*
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Brian H....

ITEM: Referring to the title of this topic... why, of course you were. And if I had a memory longer than that belonging to a goldfish, I'd have remembered the title. And I'm glad that you clarified that historical traverses is open to all publishers.

ITEM: Okay, I get that the jackboots reference was supposed to be humorous... I figured it was an allusion, but I have a little trouble seeing the humorous aspect to it. This one's on me, not you, friend.

ITEM: I never read that GLC book, so it may indeed be light and fun. To me, it smells of lack of creativity... but caveat emptor, as always. ;)

ITEM: I thought very hard of that What If story indeed while I was posting my comments. Michael Golden was always a little hit-or-miss to  me, but this isn't bad (although what's up with Thor's mouth...? :)

But the story didn't roll as well to me. The Hulk was immediately removed from the story and Thor was just shunted off to Asgard, so the resistance to the Scarlet centurion was just Iron Man and Giant-Man and the Wasp. That transforms the dynamic of that story TREMENDOUSLY. Those three are indeed formidable... but put Thor back in the tale, and it goes to a whole different level.

ITEM: That book reminds me of another time displaced character that I thought was quite good... "What If... Conan the Barbarian Walked the Earth Today?" That was a hunk of great story to mine old eyes. I didn't think quite so highly of the sequel, but that book was terrific.
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I haven't thought of that What If #29 in a long time. I completely forget how it went though. I was buying it from the Phoenix issue followed by an Elektra issue. They usually ended where the universe is destroyed however. Q: What if Sgt. Fury had fought WWII in Space? A: The universe would have been destroyed! Q: What if Uncle Ben had lived? A: The universe would have been destroyed (by an overproduction of rice)...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Eric and Brian, thanks for the suggestions on the Vance Astro scene. I'm really muddled and may have to try and find the issue in my loft. I never read the Defenders until # 125 so I'm thinking it must be the MTIO issue, but having googled the cover it's not ringing any bells. Hmmm ...  

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Matthew you may be intertwining a scene with his father , in which he pops his mask off for a split second.
Also MTIO #69

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I still have the Steve Gerber Guardians comics. I loved how they had a ship named Captain America, and Vance Astro had a room on it that looked like his childhood bedroom with comic books lying around! I have no idea why those people in the movies and animated tv series are calling themselves by this name too, but they are a done well, and anything with a talking angry raccoon is going to be worth seeing anyway.

Remember the great John Byrne comic where the Thing goes back in time and fights his original lumpen self? Marvel Two-In-One #50 circa 1978-79. Project Pegasus and Adam Warlock rising from the grave to meet Starhawk (and Her) followed.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 2:55am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

MTIO # 100 (the finale) has a great follow-up to # 50.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version