Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Lost Loves Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

OK, I just read HULK # 189...wow. A mix of typical 'Hulk vs weird villain' comic book plaot and 'TV Hulk' scenario...in an unsual setting. Nice change of pace.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 11:29pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Greg, was this the blog post you're referring to?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 12:17am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Absolutely. I’d go about writing it differently, today, but I’m still proud of all the research I did to fact-check everything that wretched story got wrong.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 2:57am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

*exasperated sigh*

----

The single redeeming thing* about JMS' run on Spider-Man is that it makes all other retcons and storylines tolerable by comparison. "Did Spider-Man find out that he's one of a long line of Spider-Totems, eat anyone's eyeball, team up with Aunt May and MJ wearing old Iron Man Armor to break into Latveria and go joyriding in Doctor Doom's time machine, or find out that his ex-girlfriend cheated on him with Norman Osborn and has an age-accelerated lookalike daughter? No? Then we're good."

*OK, two redeeming things. I admit to loving those variant Mike Weiringo covers for The Other. Only reason I own those issues.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The sad thing is that JMS’ arrival on the book (with glorious Romita JR. art!) was heralded as some kind of return to form, and so jumped on the hype train I again began buying ASM regularly with his first issue, and stuck with it through “Sins Past”. Big mistake.

I’m still convinced that anything remotely resembling the real Spider-Man ended around 1992 or so. Once the robot parents entered the scene, things started going downhill, and have never turned back. There have been occasional good stories and creative runs, but the character was so damaged and burdened by the Clone Saga that every subsequent attempt to get back to form has been a bust.

And now, Peter’s some kind of Iron Man wannabe with his own tech company? Uhhh...yeah. Okay. Whatever.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I think there had to be some sort of change with Spider-Man, because newspapers are becoming obsolete (will the Daily Bugle end up being digital only?). But giving Peter his own company was NOT the way to go at all.

And yes, Greg, that was the blog post I was referring to. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The characters have changed from being what kids want to be, to being what adults want to be.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

On this Valentine's Day I think of the seemingly doomed Scott Summers and Jean Grey circa X-Men #137. It was genuinely touching then when I was 12 and now re-reading as an adult maybe more (I lost a fiancee to cancer a dozen years ago now). For a moment it was, then she went all Dark Phoenix again and Cyclops had to try to save 'all creation' from her.

"The characters have changed from being what kids want to be, to being what adults want to be."

I remember some underground cartoonists saying something of the same thing circa the mid '80s! I think as long as you imagine a (hopefully) smart kid might be reading you will create with honesty, respect and humanity, but a lot of fans turned pro seem to come from a fulfilling their fantasy type of situation.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

And now, Peter’s some kind of Iron Man wannabe with his own tech company? Uhhh...yeah. Okay. Whatever.

All I know is that it didn't last very long at all. Peter's back at the Bugle.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

All I know is that it didn't last very long at all. Peter's back at the Bugle.

----

Peter is a science editor at the Bugle after sacrificing his company to prevent HYDRA from getting a hold of his tech.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 12:01am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Yes, somehow Doc Ock had the ability to control all of the Parker Industries tech, which I think means... that he can take over Aunt May's artificial hip and Flash Thompson's legs... "The NEW Doctor Octopus! He doesn't just control his artificial limbs... Now he controls yours as well!"

And Science Editor at the Bugle? That's the best a CEO of an industrialized self-start-up with divisions in multiple countries can land? This IS a tough economy...

This stuff is just going to be lame forever now, isn't it? 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version