Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Crisis on Ultimate Reboots Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2018 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

How much of what was established in Crisis, the original '80s thing (which I read up until #7) stayed? Rhetorical question. I know they brought back The Flash and Supergirl eventually.

I thought this blog post was fun. I'm sure the average reader (if there were still such a thing) would find it all pretty much unintelligible and unentertaining though.

http://comicboxcommentary.blogspot.ca/2010/05/different-sort -of-crisis-on-infinite.html

Wasn't it interesting how that Crisis #7 cover by Perez was a re-run itself of X-Men #136? So were they breaking new ground at all? No, they were copying superficial things from the Claremont/Byrne X-Men that fans had been raving over. In other words, it's all Jim Shooter's fault. :^)

Another Crisis related blog post:
https://nicfoley.wordpress.com/2014/02/17/homage-overkill-cr isis-on-infinite-earths-7/

Bring back Ferro Lad!!!!

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 17 February 2018 at 2:46pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2018 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

FINAL CRISIS is enjoyable if you read it "all in one go" and are willing to deal with how "dense" it is. It's not like any of the other titles with "Crisis" in the title.

Bringing back Barry Allen? I thought it was a bad idea but the writing on the current FLASH series has made me change my mind. When written well he really is more interesting than Wally. (Not that I don't like Wally.)

ZERO HOUR -- pointless series. Didn't change anything memorable except to "negate" Captain Marvel stories that hardly anyone read anyway. Yes, it gave us a Legion reboot. And then we got another one in 2004...

INFINITE CRISIS -- I liked it more than I should have. Still do. It's better than COIE, I'll say that! And I liked the SECRET SIX lead-in series because, well, Gail Simone. 

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it, though. And in any case, Geoff Johns killed Ted Kord, but whatayaknow, Ted Kord's alive again as of 2016. 

FLASHPOINT -- I think it's a pretty great story but I hated how it was used to introduce the New 52. Johns originally planned on the ending make everything go back to normal but he was outvoted and, hence, the reboot. (BTW, I've read enough of Johns' run on the rebooted JUSTICE LEAGUE title to be able to tell that his heart wasn't in it. He liked the DCU as it was.) 

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Ms. Jansen, Ferro Lad DID return post-Crisis. He was a 20th century Metropolis citizen who went to the future after the events of "The Final Night" - when the Sun Eater "ate" Sol in the 20th century.

Everything in the Crisis got redone after Pu52 and the Watchmenboot. But most of the Crisis' effects were undone anyhow, between Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis.

The Crisis on Infinite Earths was based on a lie anyhow that DC KNEW about... that NOT every title and character would be restarted from scratch. And I feel that to do that, they would have needed a "super editor" to watchdog every... single... title... to make sure that it all coordinated properly. Mr. Byrne established when Batman and Superman first met... so there couldn't be a Justice League story implying that the two met during the first JLA adventure.

It wasn't possible just because their best seller at the time, the New Teen Titans, was IMPOSSIBLE if the COIE had worked as planned. Robin? Wonder Girl? Beast Boy? Kid Flash? None exist right after the Crisis. How to start Batman from square one, with the first page showing the Waynes ALIVE, and restart the Titans with just Cyborg, Raven, and Starfire?

Pre-Crisis, there were illogical elements and confusing issues... but they were so minor - SO insignificant - that they could just be ignored, unless a writer was desperate... or a super geeky ex-fanboy who had no business writing comics. Such as Marv Wolfman and the Powers That Be who inflicted Crisis on us in the first place. Post Crisis destroyed any sense of logic or continuity in the DC Universe... which, I suppose, might be what they wanted all along...

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"And I feel that to do that, they would have needed a "super editor" to watchdog every... single... title... to make sure that it all coordinated properly."

I guess that was what Jim Shooter was trying to do earlier at Marvel.

Maybe DC should've titled the original: 'Crisis At Finite Cash Registers'? They probably felt they needed to be more like Marvel with cross-over stories and 'history making' incidents (Supergirl must die).

Ferro Lad, check... Zippo The Compressed Air Man where art thou? I think I remember there being a Ferro brother...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I know next to nothing about the LSH, but I did get the 300th* issue of their title in 1983, and there was indeed a 'Ferro Brother' who was a significant part of the story. I couldn't tell you when he appeared before or since that story, but he existed.

*It was SUPERBOY AND THE LEGION until #259.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Eric Sofer wrote:
The Crisis on Infinite Earths was based on a lie anyhow that DC KNEW about... that NOT every title and character would be restarted from scratch.

Hey, they just promised that "worlds would live, worlds would die and the DC Universe would never be the same." Within the series, the premise was "we're a multiverse because of a big cosmic oopsie and we need to become a single universe to survive." Both of those came to pass. Maybe at some point in the process the notion was to blow it all up and start over, but they seemed to have gotten past it well before the series actually started.    

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Rebecca Jansen wrote:
I think I remember there being a Ferro brother...

Yeah, he had a twin brother. Only appeared once or twice shortly after Ferro Lad died, and then in #300.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 4:16pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

As memory serves. Douglas Nolan's only appearance before LSH #300 was Adventure Comics #354, "The Adult Legion!" He had the same powers that Andrew Nolan had, but he might also have had the Compressed Air Man powers too... :)

Dave P: "Worlds will live, worlds will die..." Well, that happened back in Action Comics #1, so it wasn't exactly a new concept. :)

"....and the DC Universe will never be the same!" Boy, THAT was true! It became self-contradictory, confused, illogical, and even lost. But while that was the result, and was implied, you're right that nothing was printed in the comics about it. Why would it? Marvel was beating DC at the time anyhow... why drive away more readers?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The Post-Crisis, Post-Zero Hour version of the Nolan brothers' origin was told in Secret Origins #47 with the very odd art choice of Curt Swan paired with Mark Badger on inks. 

I found it strange and yet was glad that Shooter and DC hedged their bets with the Death of Ferro Lad by establishing a twin brother with the same powers and then DIDN'T use him to replace the first one. 

I have no use or affection for all of the desperately scrambling Final Night era Ferro Lad material in which he was shown as shy and unsure of himself with a twin brother who is killed in a prison uprising. Nothing was gained and everything lost from the original story.

Of course, Ferro Lad had already been resurrected ala' the SW-6 batch of LSH temporal clones introduced into the Post-Crisis proceedings to restore some sense of the book's previous innocence during the dour, glum, & violent Five Year Gap stories. Tediously fannish in the extreme.

Edited by Brian Hague on 18 February 2018 at 8:03pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Reboot of the month is why I took my entertainment dollars elsewhere several years ago.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm being reminded of Mark Gruenwald's substitute Legionnaires, like the twins who can switch gender, Lass Lad and Lad Lass.....

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version