Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: And who shall describe... the Hulk! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

A while back, I had asked about characters who are viable or not, and I considered the Hulk.

Obviously, he's viable. His original series only lasted six issues, granted, but Marvel had limitations on publishing books anyhow... it wasn't a surprise to have the Hulk go into a two story book.

For a considerable time, most Hulk stories seemed to follow one of two formulaic stories. Either Bruce Banner was wandering, ran into trouble of some nature, and was turned into the Hulk, reluctantly, and the Hulk handled it. Or the government was out to get the Hulk, something went awry, and the Hulk dealt with it.

What kept these stories interesting, in your opinions? For the pre-Joe Fixit and pre-Incredible Banner Hulk, what aspects continued to make him favorable enough to have his series go on?

In the Defenders, he always worked for me as a counterpoint to Dr. Strange - magic vs muscle, intellectual vs idiot - and was the big gun in the Defenders' arsenal. 

In his own book... he was always a hero, but so many times, it was coincidentally or accidentally. He needed other characters to interact with to make him interesting; if the Hulk had been on his own, it wouldn't work (usually, although I recall "Heaven Is A Very Small Place!" - which obviously could only work once.) 

Why did you like that Hulk and read his stories? Or didn't you like 'em?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The Hulk spoke directly to pre-teen and early teen boys, the principle audience at that time. It's a time when, for most of us at least, life is one long frustration. The Hulk was an unleashing of that. Banner was a frustrated nerd, but the Hulk KICKED ASS!! (So many dazed donkeys!)

The cover of AMAZING FANTASY 15 spoke to the same audience.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Thank dog comics now focus on out of shape middle age guys and their problems.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Nobody wants to write in layers any more, it seems. The idea of "All Ages" comics is scorned by fat fanboys who want the books to be about THEM.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

BTW, Len Wein used to say the Hulk was Marvel's Goofy, while Roger Stern said the Hulk was Marvel's Donald Duck.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Sounds as if Len and Roger both had someone slip 'em a mickey.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think Roger was more on target.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Banner hates being the Hulk. The Hulk hates being Banner (to the extent he understands that they're sharing the same body). You end up feeling sorry for both of them. 

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Nobody wants to write in layers any more, it seems. The idea of "All Ages" comics is scorned by fat fanboys who want the books to be about THEM.

Many of them also don't know how to write layered "All Ages" stories. Also, many of them don't even know what "All Ages" means. They think that "All Ages" means "dumb downed" and "watered downed" comics for very young kids.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

My fondness for The Hulk was far more simplistic: I like his comics because his fight scenes were usually more over the top. He was a big monster who usually fought bigger monsters. That's all I needed as a kid!

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The Hulk's dialogue in the '70s and early '80s (pre 'Banner-Hulk') was a bit laughable...and those Len Wein/Roger Stern 'Disney' perspectives suddenly seem very telling!

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

As to the Hulk's viability--

When Jim Shooter cancelled GHOST RIDER, and I was a kid, I listened to the explanation (and bought it) that it was time to close up some stories.  It made sense--we needed to see an end to Johnny Blaze's curse and wanderings.  Looking back, I see that was wrong.  GHOST RIDER could have gone on for ages--we just needed new writers with fresh eyes.

Same thing with the HULK.  (One wonders why Shooter didn't think INCREDIBLE HULK had run its course too!)  I liked the wandering Hulk/Bruce Banner and, you know what, curses can go on for a lifetime.  Odysseus traveled for ten years, having all sorts of adventures on the way.  (And ten years is forever in comics!)  Roy Thomas found ways to write CONAN and his wanderings for hundreds of stories--many of which were one-offs!

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version