Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Q: that Hidden Years preview story Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 11:06pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Hello, my first post, old timey-ish (female) reader (since Avengers 189 fresh off the corner-shop spinner rack, but quite possibly earlier with Wheelie & The Chopper Bunch, can't say for sure which one of those I had)...

I've searched here and elsewhere but I cannot find the info... please, where can I find the published (meaning inked) short preview Hidden Years comic that appears among the pencilled pages??? I just caught up on #2-22 of this great comic series last fall and I can't have an incomplete set can I? Okay, I can and have for lots of things, but I would really like to have this on paper wherever it appeared if it did.

I see there is another Jansen here who likes Mr. Byrne's work a lot; what are the odds? My father came to Canada from Holland after WWII. It's a very common name and as far as I know we have no connection.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Yvan Jullien
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

X-Men Vol.2 #94
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 1:13am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Hi Rebecca!

I grew up thinking I was Danish on my Dad's side, but we did a DNA test and I found out we're mostly Scottish!  I don't think I have any Dutch (5 percent is just "European"), but I do still have one percent Danish--I think that's where the name came from!

Never knew there was a HIDDEN YEARS preview!  Can anybody post it?
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Welcome to the forum, Rebecca.

No, this is the first I've read of a HIDDEN YEARS preview. Always learning something new here! 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Hello Rebecca welcome, one of my favourite singers is
Floor Jansen of Nightwish and she`s Dutch, so you may be
related!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Welcome to the Forum, Rebecca!

The preview story, entitled “Test to Destruction”, is featured in volume one of X-MEN: THE HIDDEN YEARS trade paperback.

This is an excellent series, and I really enjoyed picking up the trade paperbacks and reading this in one shot.  I usually prefer JB inking his own work, but Tom Palmer’s inks on this book are really amazing.  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I've noted that not coercing Terry into inking HIDDEN YEARS was probably a commercial mistake, but DAY-am, Tom gave me just the look I was after!

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

JB, any interesting anecdotes to convey from discussions with Tom Palmer about emulating Neal Adams? I liked the fact that the look and feel of the book was similar to the work Neal Adams had done prior to the reprints. I know lots of people expected The Hidden Years to look like your run with Terry Austin, but going for the "Adams look" was a great idea and showed me how much thought was being put into the art.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thanks all! Especially thanks for letting me in on where that story was published; I couldn't seem to find out otherwise in this age of information. I'll go for that other #94, hoping it doesn't cost anything like the first #94.

Tom Palmer was the perfect choice because it was almost as if he had stayed on the comic from the Neal Adams issues! I had reprints of those (first in a hardcover 'annual' from England) and even managed to find three of the originals, boy were X-Men comics hard to find even where there was a comic book shop (Victoria always seemed to have one at least), and Neal Adams seemed to be the most collected artist.

In my new enthusiasm (and having spent a few hundred dollars)  I cooked up a Byrne friendly post on my blog. I hope it's okay to post the link here. I won't promote it otherwise as it's pretty haphazard and very rarely about comic books (and it is ad free)...

http://hippiesstolemyblog.blogspot.com/2018/02/its-all-fun-g ames.html

My BF thought he was from Danish people too, but then he found there was more to the story and a lot of family had come from Austria, sort of like Lily Renee's story from that great Trina Robbins biographical comic!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Just ordered X-Men vol. 2 #93, 94 & 95 from a Canadian seller, so you've "made a difference". No clue really about any X-universe history past about X-Factor #3. I saw you-know-who with old one-eye on the cover of #95, hopefully she didn't start craving hot spicy snacks at night again.

Maybe this isn't the place to mention it, but I used to imagine a '70s Pontiac Firebird car done over in green, black and gold. I wonder if anyone else ever had that idea?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version