Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Another Shooting (Florida) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I keep wondering about this.  Why not outlaw the sale of bullets? This way, the gun owners can show off their trophies, but not actually be able to use them.

Licensed shooting galleries could still provide bullets for those doing target practice, but basically set up a system where there's accountability for the number of bullets purchased and used.  Unused bullets would be turned in for a refund.

I'm not a gun owner, so I don't know the ins and outs of this, but isn't something better than nothing?
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

And I'll continue to stand by my long-held assertion that the NRA is the Scientology of Gun Nuts... whatever noble standing they once had, or original purpose they once stood for, has long been taken over by Big Money and gun idolaters.

If they don't want to have a rational debate about rational gun laws, then I refuse to believe they are rational human beings to begin with.

And the odds of our, your and their kids being gunned-down in school becomes greater & greater, more each year...

Edited by Shaun Barry on 15 February 2018 at 5:39pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 7:53pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Followed by some interesting reads I found, after posting my comments on the previous page:

Edited by Shaun Barry on 15 February 2018 at 7:53pm

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Folks

If you want REAL changes to gun laws in this country, it starts with grass root campaigning.

Then if that works, make it a TOP priority come November 6, 2018.

Your votes talk, bullshit takes a LONG vacation!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Look at lawn darts. An item that was invented as a toy and never meant to kill. Banned because children were accidentally killed while being used in accordance with their purpose. 

Guns. Items that were invented with the express purpose of killing. Children are being killed at an alarming rate, while at school, no less, on purpose by items that are used in accordance with their purpose. And our government wants its citizens to have even more guns. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 11:23pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

In the UK, if someone DOES break into your house, they
will be unlikely to have a gun too! I have read ex-
burglars tips on how to protect yourself from burglary.
They are VERY unlikely to go into an occupied home, they
avoid houses with burglar alarms, they are opportunists
and look for the easy job.So using the UK`s gun rarity
is a non starter.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 3:42am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm sure you're right, Bill, but given Marcio's statement, I expect some evidence from him when he next posts.

This is the problem with the internet (forums, social media, etc), people can state 'facts' without backing them up.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 5:08am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The "throw your hands up, there's nothing we can do, man has been killing man for thousands of years" argument kills me. It absolutely obliterates me.  If you can't stop it all, 100%, then it's not worth trying. Period.  

Wow.  Seriously.  

So you abdicate your ability to try at the expense of the lives of children.  

You believe that?  Fuck you.  You're not even worth the toilet paper I use to wipe my ass.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 5:16am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Brian Miller wrote:
Look at lawn darts....

Dated.  Look at Tide pods.  Kids have decided that they're somehow cool to eat or otherwise ingest.  Not a week after reports surfaced, it became more difficult to purchase the pods in many establishments.  It didn't take long for regulation to come into effect.  Self regulation to be sure, but regulation nonetheless. 

With guns after just the most recent mass shooting?  Nothing.  Not even a whisper.  2nd amendment and all...

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 5:47am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'd read that Kinder Eggs are banned in the US because of the toys inside. So those can't be bought in Walmart, but guns can? That's sick.

Matt Reed wrote:
The "throw your hands up, there's nothing we can do, man has been killing man for thousands of years" argument kills me. It absolutely obliterates me.  If you can't stop it all, 100%, then it's not worth trying. Period.

It kills me, too. And not just with violence. One could make a similar flawed argument about anything, e.g. poverty. People have always been in poverty, there's always been homelessness, so let's no try.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

With guns after just the most recent mass shooting? Nothing. Not even a whisper. 2nd amendment and all...

••

Virtually as the shooting was happening, the NRA was running a Valentine promotion to "buy a gun for a loved one".

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Fart came out and said that now is not the time to debate the gun laws. presumably because it is too close to the event.

Well, when you have a school shooting at the rate of one a week, you aren't going to get a time when it isn't close to a school shooting are you?

So when would the time be right? Apparently never

Pizza Hut, in the UK, stopped serving grapes in their salad because one child chocked. One child.

So many things get banned or regulated because someone does something with it that kills someone. Yet guns seem immune to this in the USA.

We talk about cars and other stuff. To quote the X-Men movie 'We do licence people to drive cars'. We de-licence very dangerous drivers.

There is no argument that justifies a system when a mass shooting (four or more people injured) occurs on a daily basis and a school shooting occurs at a rate of twice a week.
Anybody that wants to try to defend that is a complete, total and utter fuckwit.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version