Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Kitty’s "co-creator" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I frequent the board, but rarely post. However, I read this today, and I wanted to puke.

https://www.newsarama.com/38680-kitty-colossus-tie-the-not-i n-x-men-wedding-special-one-shot-with-chris-claremont-as-a-s pecial-guest-writer.html

Kitty marrying Colossus in X-Men Wedding Special #1... with special story written by Kitty's "co-creator" Chris Claremont. Morons.  
Back to Top profile | search

Daniel Burke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I commented this on the article and emailed the writer:

Claremont is NOT kitty's co-creator.
The name, background, and look of the character were all created by John Byrne.
Claremont had success writing the character, and good for him to get a few pages of work from Marvel.

But crediting creatorship (if that's a word) is revisionist history at best.

Edited by Daniel Burke on 16 February 2018 at 2:08pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

How do we define the creative process? As you note, I came up with everything about Kitty. But then I left the book, and Chris set about turning her into a completely different character -- all the more when Smitty arrived and decided she was Brooke Shields, not a "young Sigourney Weaver."

(Truth to tell, Chris had begun changing her while I was still there. The whole "Kitty is a genius" business was completely at odds with my intent to have her a completely ordinary teenaged girl. Geniuses have already had a taste of what it means to be "different".)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Daniel, the link is a dead one. 

If I can get a live link, I'll read the story.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I don't object to people marrying. What grabbed me about her (first started reading with #131 circa 1979/80 as a 12 year old) was that she was an otherwise normal kid reacting like one. It was a fantastic entry point into the outlandish (even deadly) world of mutants. Marvel-time notwithstanding she'd be 51 now. I guess she's old enough at least. :^)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Married people in comics invariably have babies. Babies create a line in the temporal sand -- as Stan and Jack realized when they shipped Franklin Richards off to Whisper Hill.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Here's a clickable link.

https://www.newsarama.com/38680-kitty-colossus-tie-the-not-i n-x-men-wedding-special-one-shot-with-chris-claremont-as-a-s pecial-guest-writer.html

NOTE:  The link sports a funny misspelling.  "Not" instead of "knot".

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Seems like there were a few X-Men characters who were exceptional apart from their mutant powers.

Scott was a topnotch pilot. Storm was a skilled thief. Beast is a genius capable of duplicating Doom's time travel machine. Wolverine, well... he didn't always need his claws or healing factor to kill people.

Which of the mutants are more or less ordinary apart from their powers? Maybe Iceman...?

UPDATED: it's enough to make you wonder if *any* mutant is allowed to be ordinary absent their abilities.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 16 February 2018 at 2:40pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Kitty became my favorite character as a kid through reading Excalibur, where she was a computer genius, was a trained martial artists, had a pet alien dragon, and went by Shadowcat. That's a very different character from the one JB created, and it's the one that the modern character evolved from.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

For about five years I dated a young woman who was a huge Kitty fan. She'd been the same age as Ms Pryde when the character was introduced, and was into computers. She had aged in real time, which Kitty had not. And I admit it pained me when she would occasionally swoon over Kitty, and I had to remind myself it was not my Kitty she loved so much.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Scott was a topnotch pilot. Storm was a skilled thief. Beast is a genius capable of duplicating Doom's time travel machine. Wolverine, well... he didn't always need his claws or healing factor to kill people.

Which of the mutants are more or less ordinary apart from their powers? Maybe Iceman...?

•••

All of them, BCC.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Well, I did like the pet dragon. :^)

The issue I cringed over though was #153 where she reads an excessively cutesy story to Illyana (pre-Magick). I got rid of pretty quickly, banished from my 'universe'... and no, I never wanted a fuzzy Bampfy Nightcrawler stuffie... he went from being someone that really scared Kitty (and baddies) to being something like that later Mickey Mouse with the Bing Crosby clothes and hat! Why... why... but I guess they'd started ruining him with the normal image device he'd had earlier.

It's funny how almost everyone still refers to her as Kitty Pryde, as though the various super-names never took root.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version