Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: Favourite Picard Moment Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2018 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Please pick just one (I often ask for a limit so as to avoid a topic descending into a "laundry list" that doesn't add to a discussion). What is your favourite Picard moment? It can be an action scene or anything you like.

For me, it has to be the moment in "All Good Things" when Picard is dealing with the paradox that Q has imposed on him, shifting between past, present and future. Lt. Yar has doubts. And Picard says this:

"I understand your concerns, Lieutenant; and I know that if I were in your position, I would be doing the same thing - looking for answers. But you're not gonna find any, because I don't have any to give you. I know it is difficult for you to understand, but we have to take the ship into the very center of the phenomenon and create a static warp shell. Now, this will put the ship at risk. Quite frankly, we may not survive. But I want you to believe that I am doing this for a greater purpose, and that what is at stake here is more than any of you can possibly imagine. I know you have your doubts about me, about each other, about this ship. All I can say is that although we have only been together for a short time, I know that you are the finest crew in the fleet. And I would trust each of you with my life. So, I am asking you for a leap of faith - and to trust me."

If I were in a dangerous situation, and had to convince someone to make a leap of faith in order to save lives, I'd probably hope to paraphrase that above dialogue.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 23 February 2018 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Remarkably, I have one! Stroking his bald head after being restored to his proper age in "Rascals".

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2018 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'd forgotten about that one, not sure I've seen the episode since it aired! 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2018 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The coda to “Chain of Command, Part II” where Picard admits that he saw five lights. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2018 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'd forgotten about that one, not sure I've seen the episode since it aired!
++++++++++++

Having just recently rewatched the episode, that moment is fresh in my mind! What I'd forgotten was the bookend moment where young Picard looks in the mirror and runs his hand through his hair.

As for my own favorite moment, it would have to be the climax and coda of "Chain of command, Part II'. A seemingly-great victory moment followed by a deeply human admission of vulnerability.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2018 at 5:50pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Favourite positive moment is the ‘there are four lights!’

Favourite, most quoted moment, from a negative point of view, is ‘Suggestions’ when the Relient like ship comes out of the time displacement. 

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2018 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

A lot. 

But the one that jumped to mind was his closing argument in The Measure of a Man.

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2018 at 9:38pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Same as Michael.. Picard admitting he saw 5 lights at the end of CHAIN OF COMMAND.  

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2018 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Trying to focus on the first image that comes to mind and it is after the fight with his brother and they are singing, drunk and filthy. FAMILY. 

Edited by Neil Lindholm on 23 February 2018 at 10:06pm

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2018 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"The war is going very badly.  Much worse than is generally known.  Star fleet estimates that surrender is inevitable within 6 months.  One more ship today won't make a difference.  But one ship 20 years ago would have stopped this whole war before it began."

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2018 at 7:09am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

So many of my favourite Captain Picard moments would be in Q episodes, as something about the way John Delancie played his role seemed to inspire Patrick Stewart into raising his game. As if both actors really enjoyed facing off against each other on the show.

I desperately wanted to use one of their moments from Q Who as that's my favourite episode. But all of their interactions in that one are so great that it's hard for one moment to stand out above all the others. So instead I'll go with the first Picard moment that made me really start to pay attention to both the actor playing the part and the show as as a whole. In fact I'll go as far to say that it might even have stopped me from switching off and not continuing to watch TNG, which I was very close to doing in those early days.

It's in the episode Hide and Q. An episode that I always felt should have been better as almost a kind of flip side of Where No Man has Gone Before. With the viewer seeing Riker as not succumbing to the whole ultimate power corrupts thing that ruined Gary Mitchell. But Jonathan Frakes was, to say the least, not very good at that point. (Albeit possibly due in part to an underwhelming script.)
However the episode was saved for me by the following scene between Picard and Q in the Captain's ready room, where Q is nonchalantly flipping through Shakespeare and says  "Perhaps maybe a little..Hamlet?"
There's this little knowing smile from Patrick Stewart, at perhaps finally having something that's undoubtedly in his wheelhouse to ring off. And so he leans forward and effortlessly recites the following:-

"Oh, I know Hamlet! And what he might say with irony, I say with conviction: "What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason..How infinite in faculty..In form, in moving, how express and admirable..In action, how like an angel..In apprehension, how like a god!"

And of course he absolutely nails the delivery. And you see the immediate effect on Q, as his smugness is deflated, as if he realises that the moment is being totally stolen from him.

It was the first moment that made me sit up and pay attention at whom this new Captain was. As I started to think to myself, 'Hmm...well maybe they knew what they were doing hiring this guy after all!'

Obviously as the writing improved in the later seasons, there would be a whole lot of opportunities for Patrick Stewart to really shine and develop in the role. But this was the first one that made an impact on me, and so it always comes to mind when I'm thinking of Captain Picard moments.

In fact I loved it so much, that many years later when I finally attended a Star trek convention at which both actors were present, I asked both of them to autograph this screenshot from that very scene!

And it's been a treasured possession ever since. As it really was the beginning of my appreciation for TNG, as a strong enough follow up to the original show.

Edited by Jason Scott on 24 February 2018 at 5:46pm

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2018 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I've already mentioned my favorite Picard moment from "Chain of Command Pt 2" in the TNG thread -- it happens immediately after the "Four Lights" line.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2018 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Great replies, everyone, but I'll say specifically to Jason, what a great anecdote (and pic!) to share. Thanks! 

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2018 at 5:50pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Thanks Robbie!I I enjoyed recounting it. And it's been nice reading about other folks favourite Picard moments as well. Once he found his footing, Patrick Stewart really did excel in the role.

Edited by Jason Scott on 24 February 2018 at 5:51pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2018 at 6:45pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

So many of my favourite Captain Picard moments would be in Q episodes, as something about the way John Delancie played his role seemed to inspire Patrick Stewart into raising his game
---------------------------------------------------------
Totally agree with this.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2018 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Yesh, the way those two bounce off of each other is just magic. I love the way you can chart the evolution of their relationship over the seven years of TNG. Q starts out more on the Metron side of things (in terms of all-powerful beings), the shifts over to the outlandish flair of Trelane--and beyond, and Picard's annoyance with him grows in each of Q's appearances.

As recently noted, my favorite Picard/Q moment might be when Picard wakes up next to Q in bed (after Q has playfully stroked his ear), in "Tapestry", and Picard awkwardly pulls the bedsheet up over his chest.

While I would not suggest a homoerotic relationship between the two (although there's surely a metric ton of slashfic out there covering that topic), I do love how later TNG knowingly plays them as if they're a constantly-bickering married couple.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2018 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I love their final moment together.
PIcard:"Q, what are you trying to tell me?"
Q leans in, about to whisper in Picard's ear, but then stops and pulls back.
Q:" Ah, but that would be telling."

Chris Blaise
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

In Family, the "epilogue" to the Best of Both Worlds.  Recovering from being a Borg, he's considering leaving Starfleet when his brother goads him into a fight ending with Picard saying:

"You don't know, Robert. You don't know... They took everything I was. They used me to kill and to destroy and I couldn't stop them. I should have been able to stop them. I tried... I tried so hard. But I wasn't strong enough! I wasn't good enough! I should have been able to stop them, I should've, I should...! "

Edited by Chris Blaise on 26 February 2018 at 8:55am

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

"Q starts out more on the Metron side of things (in terms of all-powerful beings), the shifts over to the outlandish flair of Trelane--and beyond,"
------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------

That's a great comparison, Greg. He is very Metron at the start, And I guess when playing to the crowd in the final episode. And yeah Peter I loved that moment in the last episode too.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version