Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Any Characters That You Feel Need A Year One Story? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2018 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The Marvel characters don't really lend themselves to "Year One" stories. The notion behind such a thing is basically seeing the characters grow into their "super self". That kind of thing possibly makes sense for Golden Age and Silver Age DC characters who might as well have been in the game for years by their third story, but Marvel characters "grew up" on the page. What's there to explore that hasn't already been?

The only Marvel character I can think of where it could be worth doing would be Captain America, but CA #255 pretty much covered it, so...

Meanwhile, over at DC, I think the well's run dry. A Year One story could have value. Several per character just dilutes it.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2018 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I agree, Dave.

I haven't read CA #255 so I'll look for that one.

You are right about the well having run dry. When I read that there was a "Year Zero" for Batman (I got the first issues cheap as Eaglemoss were releasing them), I was underwhelmed. Several per character does dilute it. I mean, what's next, BATMAN: YEAR MINUS-ONE?

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2018 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I started reading Alpha Flight with no prior knowledge of them from X-Men and assumed, from all the nuances that each character had, there was a rich plethora of stories introducing them outside of the origin back-up tales. I can recall when I eventually read the few appearances that had gone before the AF issues that in truth were fleeting and lacked any real depth. It was only post-JB when some Year One-esque tales were published that I realised this was exactly not what was needed  at all. JB had included everything we needed to know in his 28 issues.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2018 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Matthew Wilkie wrote:
JB had included everything we needed to know in his 28 issues.

True.

Looking outside comics, one doesn't need to know everything. I'd have zero interest in a COLUMBO prequel, to be honest. I didn't particularly have a yearning for an Inspector Clouseau prequel. And I would never have lobbied for "untold tales" of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. 

Sometimes, characters come fully-formed, e.g. James Bond. The novels featuring a young Bond don't interest me.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 25 February 2018 at 11:37am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2018 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Jason Scott: " 'Marvel got 'em right the first time!' " It would seem that between Ultimate Marvel, Secret Wars, and whatever the hell else they're doing right now to reboot the universe, no one at Marvel feels this way anymore.

I'll start with discussing that there's a significant difference in Year One's between characters who have their hero-ness thrust upon them, and those who strive to achieve it. As an example cited below, Bruce Banner suddenly became the Hulk; there's no early history to plumb that would add to his story, I think. On the other hand, Bruce Wayne took at least fourteen years* to become Batman. There's a lot of adventure that could be derived from that (I mean, every learning situation couldn't have just been simple and dull; Batman has too much experience even from the first. for there to be no unexpected confrontations or situations to pop up.)

I'm also a big believer in Roy Thomas' retroactive continuity idea; that a lot of things could have happened in the past, but that ANY of these are not allowed to change what has already been chronicled. I'd call it Rule Two, an adjunct of Rule One - a writer can talk about what happened before, but can't change the basic premise of a hero.

So... who would have an interesting Year One story? Tony Stark. The Iron Man armor didn't spring full blown from his head like Athena from the brow of Zeus. He must have had ideas and prototypes of this so that the plans were at least somewhat formed enough that even in a cave in Vietnam, he and Professor Yinsen could build the armor.

Princess Diana. Between being an enchanted clay statue and Wonder Woman, there was a lot of training and development. If we are to believe the published material, that would include rivalries with either Nubia or Artemis. Yes, I know that this leads to Wonder Girl stories; so? There's a lot that could be done with those.

Robin. Between the catastrophe that drove Dick/Jason/Tim/your-name-here to desire vengeance and to serve justice and the first time that the Boy Wonder appears is a lot of training, and, I would assume, some dramatic stories.

Matt Murdock. Same drill; he was struck blind, and then a couple decades later, he donned the black and yellow of Daredevil. What was his training? How did he learn to use his radar sense? What was it like the first time he went out navigating? There might be some good stories there.

And I have just loved the "Tales of Asgard" stories when they popped up in Thor! 'Nuff said.

Let's consider another aspect to the Year One conceit: it makes it dirt simple for writers. They don't need to come up with a new idea**; they can just say, "Okay, here's the character before he became a hero; here he is in his first appearance; I just have to connect the dots!" Of course, there are writers who are actually worth their salt that would make this story fascinating and would follow Rule One faithfully, and those would indeed be swell. But it seems a little bit of an easy option to me.

*Based on the totally uninformed idea that Bruce was eight when his parents were killed, and that he had graduated college before he became Batman.
**Unless, of course, their Year One story actually changes the character's basic premise. Which is a undercover reboot, which sucks.

Edited by Eric Sofer on 25 February 2018 at 12:18pm

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2018 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Sometimes, characters come fully-formed, e.g. James Bond. The novels featuring a young Bond don't interest me.

My problem with prequels is that ultimately we know what is going to happen. It takes a skilled writer to make it interesting and ensure there is suspense and jeopardy. Marvel's Captain Marvel film with its 90s setting could be their most challenging movie project yet.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2018 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Do interstitials count? He hasn't been well-served by any movie since Star Wars, but I would watch a simple noir film about Obi-Wan on Tatooine. No big saga, no imperial nonsense, just a movie about a lost man trying to get by after some kind of interaction with gangsters or the law. (and if we're being honest, the best part of the prequels is Obi-Wan doing low-key seedy investigations and uncovering the clones.)

(I guess technically this would be a year one if, like a smart person, you decided the prequels didn't exist.)

Not generally a fan of recasting characters to show them younger, but in this case the damage is already done and we already have a good actor of the proper age associated with the role. He deserves a chance to redeem Obi-Wan.

Forget it, Ben, it's Chinatown.

Edited by Richard Stevens on 25 February 2018 at 12:34pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2018 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Richard S: "Forget it, Ben, it's Chinatown"

And now YOU have gotten me to squirt Diet Pepsi through my nose! Well done, sir, well done.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2018 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

HUZZAH

i mean, it could even be a movie about water rights!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2018 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Matt Murdock. Same drill; he was struck blind, and then a couple decades later, he donned the black and yellow of Daredevil. What was his training? How did he learn to use his radar sense? What was it like the first time he went out navigating? There might be some good stories there.
---------------------------------
Wasn't Miller/JR Jr's The Man Without Fear effectively a Daredevil Year One?

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2018 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The Green Hornet
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2018 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I have never read a Green Hornet comic. Haven't seen the film. I am familiar only by sight and the BATMAN two-parter he appeared in.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version