Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Any Characters That You Feel Need A Year One Story? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

While I admit, we got plenty to put the
pieces together. A year one book covering
the origins of Alpha, Beta and Gamma
Flight would be interesting. That said, it
really doesn't NEED one. It'd just be an
interesting read.

Be careful what you wish for - we had these two issues and they were terrible:

Image result for alpha fligh flashback issue

The details of second can be found here.

Both were set before the formation of Alpha Flight, with the former featuring an appearance by a pre-Beta Flight Puck whilst the second featured a team called The Flight featuring a pre-Gamma Flight Smart Alec.

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Maybe we ought to decide if we mean a Year One story to be the twelve months leading up to the character's first appearance, the twelve month's subsequent to the character's first appearance, or a year's duration including the first appearance.

For some characters, a year prior would be deadly dull, e.g., Spider-Man or the Flash. For others, it could be fascinating, such as Charles Xavier or Niles Caulder, although the span might need to be a bit longer than a year.

On the other side of that... I can't think of any character that wouldn't have a pretty interesting Year One after their introduction. (Well, except for Man-Thing, but we ALL know about him! :)

But again, the question arises - Even if we can do it, should we do it? There just aren't enough John Byrnes out there to do enough "The Man of Steel" - and some writers seem to have NO idea what the motivations of their characters are. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't write those books, but their focus is better spent on current stories and adventures, without putting too much attention on the origins.

SKEW COMMENT:
Robbie, if you like long posts, you must frickin' LOVE my doctoral dissertations...

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yes, I do like long posts. I can get enough "Yup" and "LMAO" off elsewhere. I want to read and hear what people have to say.

And you're right, do we focus on the twelve months leading up to the character's first appearance, the twelve month's subsequent to the character's first appearance, or a year's duration including the first appearance. That's a good point.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 11:11pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Heh, when I wrote "Why not take the first sixteen issues of The X-Men from September 1963 onward and have the art redone as if over breakdowns by Kirby, and dialogue and captions spruced-up/tweaked as well!" little did I realize they'd done this quite awhile ago with something titled Professor Xavier And The X-Men. Just ordered a copy of #1 to see if I'd even like it (as I was getting some 40 cent John Byrne Fantastic Fours anyway). There was also some Children Of The Atom series by Steve Rude I saw advertised that might be a similar thing, not sure. His Nexus always did remind me of Cyclops.

I read the first two of a friend's Batman Year One back when it came out, but what works for Batman doesn't seem to me like something that would work for too many others. In a way the first thing like that was 'Superboy, The Adventures Of Superman When He Was A Boy' back in the late '40s. Has Wonder Woman on Amazon Island before she became WW been done? They couldn't call her Wonder Girl though. Or maybe Sub-Mariner's world when he and Namora were little? Although I'm ahing flashbacks of some '50s Bill Everetts like that. There have been Professor X before he started the X-Men stories.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 2:09am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

There was a mini-series called "Superman: The In-Between Years" in the 80's with Frank Miller covers and artwork by Curt Swan and Dave Hunt which covered the character's college years, technically the first time the hero could be called, "Superman." There is also DC Super-Stars #12, in which he decides to change his name after a final test put forth by Jor-El's Teaching Robot, an occasionally recurring character during the Pre-Crisis days. An issue of Action Comics also contains a back-up story with the same premise of telling us when Superboy became Superman, but the events are completely different of course. 

Bill Everett's tales of the young Sub-Mariner are beautifully illustrated tales I've long wanted to see reprinted on their own. They are included in the Marvel Masterworks Atlas Era Heroes volumes.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Rebecca Jansen wrote:
Or maybe Sub-Mariner's world when he and Namora were little?

Now, that I could get enthusiastic about, Rebecca.

I think there'd be much room for intrigue and some great twists and turns with that era. 

NAMOR: YEAR ONE has a ring to it, too (although I don't think Marvel uses the designation "Year One", it might just be a DC thing).

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm thinking I saw the old Bill Everett Subbies in a '60s Fantasy Masterpieces. It also had '40s-'50s Captain America and Human Torch reprints but didn't last long that way, turned into the debut of Captain Marvel and others. I was lucky enough to find a real old-timey book shop with stacks of old '60s-'70s comics (some in perfect condition) just piled up in an area. The real big deal stuff had already been gotten from there before me, and the owner had a sort of idea about values, but in the early '80s your average 1966 Marvel or 1965 DC comic was still only around $2 in near mint. Those giant-sized and annual comics were actually some of the most plentiful (not counting The Silver Surfer, never saw a single one of those).

I remember seeing an actual '50s Sub-Mariner for sale at a shop at what now seems a reasonable price but at the time I hesitated and of course it went quick. I did however have Namora #1 which was by Bill Everett from the late '40s.'The Sea Beauty'. I kept a photocopy from it (it was sharp but the staples had been removed and there were some stains where they had been). The only other old old Marvels I had was the second Blonde Phantom and a Cindy. They even said Marvel and not Atlas. I had a few Atlas jungle comics like Lorna and Jungle Action (with 'Lo-Zar', Ka-Zar's brother?) too (and a Patsy & Hedy).

The good old days! I'm surprised if they haven't made a comic telling the history of the actual Marvel Comics. They could tell it from Stan's point of view as a kid getting a job there in the first issue. #4: Enter Flo Steinberg!

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 02 March 2018 at 12:32pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

How old are you, Rebecca, to have seen come across a 50s Sub-Mariner comic?! :D 

I have never come across many 50s comics featuring Namor. In fact, when I come across second-hand comics, they are usually 1965 onwards. You are lucky!

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think that there was a NAMOR comics in the early 2000s that was a sort of "Year One" title -- or at least it was about his earliest days as an anti-hero/superhero.

It didn't last long at all.

I think Bill Jemas <shudder> wrote it. 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I only ever saw that one '50s Sub-Mariner (not counting the '60s Fantasy Masterpieces reprints), and that was in a proper comic book shop in the mid '80s. I was pretty lucky for there to have been that one store with stacks of '60s-'70s comics at a reasonable price, but I didn't know and took it for granted somewhat. Not more than an occasional funny type '50s comic there though (Patsy Walker, Fox & The Crow). I remember it had multiple copies of mint X-Men #25 and 26 for some reason, no idea why those numbers. I asked the old guy about something once and he said he had loads more in boxes in his basement from when his father ran a shop and would go through them for titles I was interested in. I got a lot of Doom Patrol and Adventure Comics. Other people had been through the stuff before and I imagine they had no interest in those titles.

Maybe they could straighten out Wolverine once and for all. I imagine that he had been in WWII when he just had his healing and tracking sense abilities, and maybe crossing paths with Captain America. I think Pierre Trudeau gave the official approval and funding to de-bone super healer guy and put in the adamatium some time in the '70s. :^)

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 02 March 2018 at 3:09pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version