Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: DC’s Legends of Tomorrow - new members? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Let's pretend that YOU are Greg Berlanti, and you want to add a couple more heroes to the Legends. Who would you pick?

CONSIDERATIONS: 
Limit it to two.
It doesn't have to be a new member. If you think Hawkman would be a great member, that's fine.
You have to keep in mind the limitations of a weekly TV series. So while Jade might be a really good addition, I don't know if her effects would be cheap enough to use every week. (Remember, Firestorm didn't actually appear in half the episodes.)
I'm giving you free reign with actors. So if you'd like to add Dick van Dyke as Wildcat... go for it.
Not a restriction, but try to avoid someone who's regular on one of the other Arrowverse shows. I know that Kid Flash is supposedly going to join the Legends... but try to pick someone besides, say, Mon-El or Mr. Terrific.

Go to!

I would like to see...
Johnny Thunder. I think that this could be a lot of fun, especially if they limit the Thunderbolt's power so that he isn't a deus ex machina... or at least, not more than once a season.
Chameleon Boy: The logistics might be a little tricky, but I think a shapeshifter would be a nifty character who's not overpowered, but who could make things really interesting.

Back to Top profile | search

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Constantine and The Question.

They could compare raincoats! Nah seriously, I would like at least one of them, and in an ideal world both. With Matt Ryan as John Constantine again, and Jeffrey Combs as The Question.

I know Matt is due to reprise the role in a couple of episodes, but I'd want him full time. He's exactly the sort to mix up things up and cause as much trouble as he solves. Which makes him feel very appropriate to their team.

And I've always wanted to see Jeffrey Combs play The Question in live action.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Batgirl- time to shake up the Arrowverse and get that Batman connection started. (I know Bruce Wayne was mentioned once).

Edited by Doug Centers on 01 March 2018 at 9:27am

Darren Ashmore
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think The Creeper would make an interesting addition.  A crazy man running around being irritating would make a good foil for Mick Rory. Maybe it could be set up that he randomly changed from  Jack Ryder into The Creeper, so the crew would be having a normal rational conversation them suddenly BAM. . there would be this loon bouncing off the walls.

Tony Tower
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Not LEGENDS, but I'll echo the hope I read online that Joss Whedon's quitting the BATGIRL film frees the character up to appear on SUPERGIRL. . .

Edited by Tony Tower on 01 March 2018 at 2:29pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Wally (Kid Flash) was announced as joining the team a while ago, and showed up this week. Although he's currently with Rip Hunter, not the team.

As Jason said, Constantine would be a good choice. He's already popped up on the show and on ARROW, and though his show bombed, Matt Ryan is great as the character.

I like the suggestion of the Creeper, Darren. As long as they don't do something stupid like Jack Ryder not knowing he's the Creeper.

My suggestions:

Metamorpho. Rex Mason would be a great addition to the team.

Phantom Lass. Who's to say there's not a Legion on that Earth, too? And her powers would come in quite handy. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Brian F. - Phantom Lass/Girl is perfectly fine. After all, I suggested Chameleon Boy!

Metamorpho is a great idea. But so many of these ideas are great. Constantine - oh yes. The Creeper - wild! I didn't think of him, but he'd be swell! (As Darren noted, imagine the fights with Rory...)

Batgirl... we already know that there is a Wayne in the Arrowverse, from the Waynecorp reference. But it would appear that there is impenetrable difference between the DC TV and movie universes... I guess I could see a Batgirl preceding a Batman. And I like the idea of her in the Supergirl world. Shucks... how about "Batgirl of Two Worlds"? Yes, yes, it's crazy talk... go figure.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Let's pretend that YOU are Greg Berlanti..
--

I'd pick up a comic book or two and see if I could get any of the characters already on the show right. 

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think Booster Gold would be a good fit. Blue Beetle would be fun too. 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2018 at 2:49am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'd hate to waste the Creeper or the Question on this sort of "leftovers" show.  I'd much prefer to see them both on their own shows (especially the Creeper!), fighting crime in the city.

This show works better with "odds and ends" like White Canary and Steel.  (I'm still a little sad that the Atom didn't get his own show and has been turned into Iron Man-lite.)

That said, I would love to see Serinda Swan return to TV as Zatanna and a live action Power Girl sort of boggles the mind.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2018 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Brandon Routh's Atom was supposed to be Ted Kord's Blue Beetle, but the show wasn't given permission, so it bent a "similar" enough science-themed character to fit the script. I can't help wondering if something like that was done with Rip Hunter, using him to fit where the creators really would have preferred Booster Gold. 

I agree with Eric that the show is not meant for headliners and that those who appear on it are not well served. This is a showplace for hangers-on, also-rans, and second-raters. Any of the post-Ditko variations on the original Hawk and Dove would fit here, as would most members of Titans West. Pretty much all members of Infinity Inc., Outsiders, Young Justice, and the Blasters can all start lining up along that wall towards the back. Please have your applications, resumes, and headshots ready when you reach the front of the line...

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm fine with Routh as Ray Palmer (though Ted Kord would have been great too)--I like him and Caity Lotz best.  It's just a little weird that he's armored AND shrinks!

The show's so low in the ratings, I have to wonder what if they had just done a solo ATOM show?  Could it have been worse?  And maybe a straight RIP HUNTER show would have had broader appeal too.  (The guy playing Steel would have made a good comic-accurate Rip Hunter!)

They make so many changes to these concepts to make them "work" on TV (or in the movies) and yet when they stick closest to the comics is when they work the best!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

The show's so low in the ratings

In terms of CW numbers, its not that low. Its been the third highest rated show on the CW, recently bumped down to fourth by BLACK LIGHTNING. And I believe like the other Arrowverse shows, it does well in streaming. 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 11:15pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Oh, I know, and I enjoy it.  My point was--I just wonder if a straight adaption (of the Atom, or Rip Hunter, or the Blue Beetle, etc.) would do any worse.

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2018 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Shade, the Changing Man and Manhunter (preferably Mark Shaw).  I think both characters would work well in this atmosphere.  Plus with Manhunter we can get an eventual confrontation with the Manhunters.  

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

No Legend escapes... the Manhunters!

That's a nifty idea, Bill. I'm intrigued in the idea of Shade too... his gimmick is that his M-vest always makes him look distorted, and scary, and I don't know if that's in the budget. But then again... Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Firestorm, so why not?

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I was thinking about the Manhunters as well. Only starting off with the Quality Manhunter & his dog joining the team. At the end of the season, he & the dog stand revealed as androids and the team is captured by the android Manhunters and thrown in prison where the original Quality Manhunter is being kept. Next season, they escape and the team fights the androids but the Manhunter has disappeared. At the climax he returns with all of DC's Manhunters in tow thanks to help from Gideon: Paul Kirk, the Power Company clone, the female Manhunter, Mark Shaw, the Zero Hour Manhunter, Manhunter 2070, and the Martian Manhunter for a big throwdown.

Edited by Ed Love on 08 March 2018 at 1:40pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Eric, good point about the effects budget.  I was thinking hed have a unique take on the missions, different motives etc.  

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version